The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Braden Holtby asks for $8 million per season in arbitration (UPDATED: Holtby Signs for 30.5/5)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/braden-holtby-asks-for--8-million-per-season-in-arbitration-140929739.html

The goaltender with the highest cap hit next season in the NHL? Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers at $8.5 million, generally considered one of the top three – if not the greatest – goaltender currently drawing oxygen on Earth.

Restricted free-agent goalie Braden Holtby of the Washington Capitals is asking for $500,000 less than Henrik Lundqvist.

OK, he’s not really asking for it. According to Tim Wharnsby of CBC Sports, that’s Holtby’s proposal in his arbitration hearing with the Capitals this week. The Capitals are offering $5.1 million, itself a hefty raise over the $1.85 million against the cap Holtby cost last season.

The $8 million ask is patently absurd -- a short-term arbitration contract won't even eat up any unrestricted years! -- and that’s with the acknowledgement that Holtby should get a salary north of $6 million.

As Neil Greenberg notes, there’s a comparison to be made between Holtby from 2010-2015 and Pekka Rinne from 2005-2011. Rinne signed a 7-year, $49-million mega deal at age 29 in 2011. That was a contract inflated by gobbled-up UFA years and management’s desperation in trying to convince Ryan Suter and Shea Weber that there was a financial commitment to winning.

But that comparison is for negotiations, not for arbitration, because UFA deals can’t be used in RFA hearings.

What’s the negotiation looked like between the Caps and Holtby? From the Washington Post:

The Capitals’ offer to Holtby — the 25-year-old who tied franchise records for games played, wins and shutouts last season and finished fourth in Vezina Trophy voting — has maxed in the mid-$5 million range, while Holtby’s team has countered around $1 million higher, according to an individual with knowledge of the situation.

So Holtby had been looking for $6.5 million, the Caps said “no dice,” and now Camp Braden has set the ceiling at $8 million.

Here's Puck Daddy's Josh Cooper on what Holtby should be worth.

This should be fun. For Philipp Grubauer, we mean, who'll probably be the Capitals' starter in the next two years as Holtby leaves a smoldering bridge with managment behind him after this arbitration hearing.

This is pretty hilarious, quite honestly.

I think he knows he won't ever get the 8 million but doing something so absurd is a surefire way to sour your relationship with your current team.

Update:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/24/capitals-investment-holtby-signs-five-year-30-5m-deal/

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

Braden Holtby received a huge raise on Friday, but it was more than reasonable considering his breakout season with the Washington Capitals.

The team signed him to a five-year, $30.5 million contract, which makes him the seventh-highest paid goalie in the NHL.

“Braden emerged as a top NHL goaltender and we are pleased to sign him to a long-term contract,” GM Brian MacLellan said. “We feel Braden is just entering his prime and in his young career has already established himself as one of the best goaltenders in the history of our franchise. He is an athletic goaltender with a tremendous work ethic and is a big part of our future.”

Holtby’s cap hit comes in at $6.1 million

Probably just high balling. It's a common practice in negotiations to start really high, so the number you really want seems lower. In reality, he is looking in the 6.5 range which is more than reasonable.

Not really hilarious. This guy is a fantastic goalie. He may not get that much this year, but he will eventually.

His stats do not lie. First in GP, second in Wins, seventh in SV%, fifth in GAA, second in SO. And in the playoffs he had a .944 SV% and a 1.71 GAA. I mean this guy can play and he proved it in the playoffs. He was on tier with Lundqvist so saying he's going to sour his relationships is a bit absurd, in my opinion.

I don't blame him. 6.5 was a fair opening ask imo. Washington declining that range is not that realistic.

.923 lifetime, .936 in the playoffs - both improved upon last year, with 40+ wins....

Sticking to 5.1 is a lowball.

Should have just showed him the 6 million and saved the time and drama.

Probably just high balling. It's a common practice in negotiations to start really high, so the number you really want seems lower. In reality, he is probably looking in the 6-6.5 range which is more than reasonable.

This. It's a negotiation tactic.

He's the type of guy every NHL team is looking for. A guy, who just goes on a different level in the playoffs. It's part of negotiation that the player ask for more $$$$ and the team to offer the least $$$. That's just the way it goes.

Braden Holtby has the best career playoff save percentage OF ALL TIME.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-goalies-all-time-playoff-save-percentage-leaders.html

Compare his .936 with Pekka Rinne's .914, in the exact same number of games played. I'd take Holtby on my team over Rinne. The guy is balls-out awesome when it matters most. If all he wants is 6-6.5, the Caps should take it and run!

So basically only the OP is stupid enough to think that Holtby isn't an elite goalie.

That's a great way to assume something out of nothing !

Quite the contrary - he's a great goalie, I'd say an elite one at that. Nowhere in my post did I refute that, but being the oh so glorious attention seeking CDC poster that you are, you put words into my mouth

I, on the other hand, have a hard time believing every elite goalie should be asking for 8 million dollar contracts. It's hard to justify such an asking price when a guy like Carey Price is making 6.75 and a guy like Tukka Rask who, albeit the argument could be made that Holtby is the better goalie, is only making 4. Is Holtby twice the goalie Rask is? Definitely not.

Holtbys resume at 25 does not match up to Henrik Lundqvists. He's only played what, one full season as a starting goalie? One other during a lockout shortened season? He's played elite up until this point of his career but two seasons and a couple of great playoffs don't put you in Lundqvist territory. Henrik has been at the top of the league for several seasons now and had earned his 8.5 million dollar contract as the face of the Ranger franchise for several seasons.

Holtby has been a fantastic goalkeeper in this league and steps up his game in the playoffs, no doubt. But is he worth the salary being paid to guys like Henrik Lundqvist, Steven Stamkos, Jonathon Toews and Patrick Kane? No. Not yet anyway

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/braden-holtby-asks-for--8-million-per-season-in-arbitration-140929739.html

This is pretty hilarious, quite honestly.

I think he knows he won't ever get the 8 million but doing something so absurd is a surefire way to sour your relationship with your current team.

How is this pretty hilarious ?

This in no way would sour the player's relationship with management, this is business and last I checked Braden is starting to fit into the position of an elite starting goaltender in this League and his numbers back that up.

So going into arbitration and asking for a substantial raise, well the player has earned it, highly unlikely the number ends up being 8m per, I figure he will earn in the 5.75m - 6.5m range when its all said and done.

Grubauer has a lot of potential and has shown he is capable in the NHL, but he is not going to take the starter's role from Holtby, he may push him providing a solid 1A/1B potential down the road.

Again this is negotiation and Holtby is in no way risking anything long term with the Capitals by asking for a high number, he will be signed and both sides will be happy assuming Holtby continues to trend upwards.

Holtby is a beast.

But honestly, they're in arbitration. Meaning Holtby has set a price of 8 million, and expecting it to go down. Most of the time the arbitrator settles the whole deal in between the asking price between two parties. With the exception of P.K. Subban of course. That guy somehow got more than his asking price which is hilarious.

I can see them settling at a price of no more than 7 million.

Archived