The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

I assume Subban will make his NHL debut this season. Likely in the later half of the season. I do believe that Subban becomes waiver eligible next season. His contract is up after this season and I'd be shocked if the Canucks don't qualify him. My worry is that I can totally see an NHL team taking a flyer on him if he's waived next season. The good news, though, is that Biega's deal is up next season and I'd be shocked if he gets resigned... likely meaning Subban becomes a contender for the #7 or #8 spot on the D (him and McEney likely take those slots).

If he's claimed on waivers next year, in this scenario, it likely won't be a huge lose and there's always the chance he clears. However, it's undeniable that the Subban name carries weight in the NHL world. Just look at Malcolm Subban, he's got a lot of flaws in his game, but he ended up getting plucked off waivers by the Golden Knights. Part of that was because he's cheap, but you can't help but wonder if VGK was intrigued by the "name" Subban brings by being the backup. Although, to be fair, Malcolm is a former 1st rounder whereas Jordan is a 4th rounder... but he's also an AHL all-star and has one of the most tantalizing shots in the AHL for a defenseman.

Either way, I'm excited to see what kind of progress Jordan makes this year and -- again -- I won't be shocked to see Jordan makes his NHL debut this season.

12 hours ago, Quantum said:

I assume Subban will make his NHL debut this season. Likely in the later half of the season. I do believe that Subban becomes waiver eligible next season. His contract is up after this season and I'd be shocked if the Canucks don't qualify him. My worry is that I can totally see an NHL team taking a flyer on him if he's waived next season. The good news, though, is that Biega's deal is up next season and I'd be shocked if he gets resigned... likely meaning Subban becomes a contender for the #7 or #8 spot on the D (him and McEney likely take those slots).

If he's claimed on waivers next year, in this scenario, it likely won't be a huge lose and there's always the chance he clears. However, it's undeniable that the Subban name carries weight in the NHL world. Just look at Malcolm Subban, he's got a lot of flaws in his game, but he ended up getting plucked off waivers by the Golden Knights. Part of that was because he's cheap, but you can't help but wonder if VGK was intrigued by the "name" Subban brings by being the backup. Although, to be fair, Malcolm is a former 1st rounder whereas Jordan is a 4th rounder... but he's also an AHL all-star and has one of the most tantalizing shots in the AHL for a defenseman.

Either way, I'm excited to see what kind of progress Jordan makes this year and -- again -- I won't be shocked to see Jordan makes his NHL debut this season.

That might be a bit of wishful thinking... Looking at the below list, you've got 4 guys easily in front of him, plus I'd say that Chatfield may surpass Jordan on our depth chart as soon as this year. It would take two injuries to our RHD for him to even get a sniff, and since Green knows him better than any other coach, I'm guessing he'd play a LHD he's more comfortable with on the right side (example a Pouliot-Weircioch pairing) before putting Jordan in. Gotta remember that Subban was a healthy scratch a couple of times last year as the Comets, under Green, were making a desperate playoff push.

Of course, always possible that Tanev is moved at the TDL (for a package involving TOR's 1st rounder pleaseeeee), and with an injury, that opens up a spot for him to get a few games at the end of the year, and I'd obviously like to be proven wrong, but the window is getting awfully small for this guy.

Tanev (R)

Edler

Guddy (R)

MDZ

Stecher (R)

Hutton

Pouliot

Biega (R)

Weircioch

McEneny

On 10/13/2017 at 4:05 PM, Horvats_Big_Head said:

It amazes me how people totally overrated Subban based on his brother. Pure and utter ignorance. Jordan Subban was a fun prospect but nobody truly believed in him making the NHL, not even his family. He is so mediocre on the defensive side of the puck. He should just start playing wing if he ever wants to make it. His offensive skill is there, but he is just too weak to play against gritty NHL forwards. 

Yes I understand he has gone through a lot in his life, based mainly on the racisms and prejudices of his society. He has overcome a lot to be one of the few really skilled black hockey players.

However, he is just not tough enough and once he is a free agent he will sign somewhere else in hopes of cracking a lineup. There is just no hope for him here. We have already tried Larsen and that was a disaster. Subban is a black carbon copy of Larsen. Throw him in to any trade please...or at least bury him in the minors. BUST!

When stupid just isn't enough

Go further

Go Horvat's_Big_Head

For when you need to really show people you're willing to go that extra mile

14 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

I'm pretty sure he's got an older brother in the NHL who says that Jordan's the most talented hockey player in the family. 

That quote from PK was nice and all, but I wouldn't really put much stock in it. 

It's kinda on the level of applying for a job and getting a character reference from your mom.

On 2017-10-13 at 4:05 PM, Horvats_Big_Head said:

It amazes me how people totally overrated Subban based on his brother. Pure and utter ignorance. Jordan Subban was a fun prospect but nobody truly believed in him making the NHL, not even his family. He is so mediocre on the defensive side of the puck. He should just start playing wing if he ever wants to make it. His offensive skill is there, but he is just too weak to play against gritty NHL forwards. 

Yes I understand he has gone through a lot in his life, based mainly on the racisms and prejudices of his society. He has overcome a lot to be one of the few really skilled black hockey players.

However, he is just not tough enough and once he is a free agent he will sign somewhere else in hopes of cracking a lineup. There is just no hope for him here. We have already tried Larsen and that was a disaster. Subban is a black carbon copy of Larsen. Throw him in to any trade please...or at least bury him in the minors. BUST!

Why bring up colour dude?

yeah, the kid was a project that probably won't work out.   

Why not just say that?

No need to bring race and family into this. 

On 10/16/2017 at 4:43 PM, drummerboy said:

Why not just say that?

Don't get it either. He's a talented kid, but there are still things that he has to fix in his game. If he does, we could definitely use his shot on the power play, he's great at finding ways to get it through to net.

On 10/13/2017 at 5:05 PM, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Image result for 1 sample size meme

On 10/15/2017 at 11:10 PM, Fakename70 said:

I'm pretty sure he's got an older brother in the NHL who says that Jordan's the most talented hockey player in the family. 

Lol, thats doesn't mean anything. I think its a quiet slap in the face to Jordan, calling him talented and yet he is not in the NHL. 

On 10/16/2017 at 1:18 PM, Warhippy said:

When stupid just isn't enough

Go further

Go Horvat's_Big_Head

For when you need to really show people you're willing to go that extra mile

Way to just go the ad hominem route. Really mature, War Hippy. You have to be one of the most notoriously snobby posters in this forums history. You must be so isolated from society.

On 10/16/2017 at 4:43 PM, drummerboy said:

Why not just say that?

To ignore race is to ignore that racism exists. Should we have ignored racism in the 60's? Should we ignore innocent young black men getting shot by police at an alarming rate? Should we ignore the way racism has become institutionalized in our society? If anything, Jordan needs to bring these issues to the limelight of Utica Comets/ Canucks hockey. This is an opportunity for the Canucks to make a statement, using Jordan. 

I call on him to start kneeling during the anthem. It may get him some much needed respect, because right now he has none in the hockey community. 

5 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Lol, thats doesn't mean anything. I think its a quiet slap in the face to Jordan, calling him talented and yet he is not in the NHL. 

Way to just go the ad hominem route. Really mature, War Hippy. You have to be one of the most notoriously snobby posters in this forums history. You must be so isolated from society.

To ignore race is to ignore that racism exists. Should we have ignored racism in the 60's? Should we ignore innocent young black men getting shot by police at an alarming rate? Should we ignore the way racism has become institutionalized in our society? If anything, Jordan needs to bring these issues to the limelight of Utica Comets/ Canucks hockey. This is an opportunity for the Canucks to make a statement, using Jordan. 

I call on him to start kneeling during the anthem. It may get him some much needed respect, because right now he has none in the hockey community. 

as a black man myself, please trust me when I say we don't need ignorant white people coming on hockey websites and trying to fight our battles.  

What you said is ignorant and wrong.  

You completely miss the point and you are coming off as clueless and a bit racist.  

Please keep your thoughts on colour to yourself as you clearly just don't understand. 

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

as a black man myself, please trust me when I say we don't need ignorant white people coming on hockey websites and trying to fight our battles.  

You completely miss the point and you are coming off as clueless and a bit racist.  

Please keep your thoughts on colour to yourself as you clearly just don't understand. 

as a man who kind-of-believes that posters actually look like their profile pic, I had you pegged as an old-ish, balding white dude just like me, haha

2 hours ago, nzan said:

as a man who kind-of-believes that posters actually look like their profile pic, I had you pegged as an old-ish, balding white dude just like me, haha

Hahaha.  Awesome!   

My pic is Larry David.   I love that guy.  

I am balding though. Hahaha.  

To be fair, I'm half black, half Norwegian. 

On 10/20/2017 at 5:05 AM, drummerboy said:

And you just assume that I am white? What makes you think that?! Sounds like you are the one who is ignorant and wrong.

There is no way you cannot know the oppression that is happening unless you are choosing to ignore it. You live in a personal bubble distancing yourself from the problem. I'd like to know why you think I am wrong about black people being unfairly targeted by police etc. and how this whole anthem fiasco may impact Jordan Subban. Please tell me why I am wrong.

I choose to believe that this gives Jordan a chip on his shoulder. However, he is way too soft to be an NHL defenseman. Our D has played so well this year, proving my point that he will never make the team here. Bust Bust Bust

On 10/20/2017 at 1:54 PM, lethal_spaghetti said:

One of those is a colour the other a country. Joking aside thats a pretty cool mix

Thanks for calling him out on another one of his blunders. 

On 2017-10-20 at 9:45 AM, Horvats_Big_Head said:

I think your completely missing the point here as to why African-Americans are kneeling during the anthem. The kneeling as started by CK in the NFL was a statement against the country he lived in and how the racial bias in society was affecting communities as seen in St Louis and other places during the BLM campaigns. It was never about progressing his career, if anything it has hindered him from finding work this year.   Subban as a Canadian, most likely  indured some racism growing up in Canada but nothing compared to what he would of growing up in a underprivileged community in the US where  discrimination can run rampant. If he were to kneel during the American anthem I believe it would send the wrong message and bring bad publicity to a guy who is very likeable.

Hopefully he can just get his defensive game going and won’t need any publicity stunts to start getting attention.

6 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

And you just assume that I am white? What makes you think that?! Sounds like you are the one who is ignorant and wrong.

There is no way you cannot know the oppression that is happening unless you are choosing to ignore it. You live in a personal bubble distancing yourself from the problem. I'd like to know why you think I am wrong about black people being unfairly targeted by police etc. and how this whole anthem fiasco may impact Jordan Subban. Please tell me why I am wrong.

I choose to believe that this gives Jordan a chip on his shoulder. However, he is way too soft to be an NHL defenseman. Our D has played so well this year, proving my point that he will never make the team here. Bust Bust Bust

Thanks for calling him out on another one of his blunders. 

Well then clearly the factz are on your side.

On 20/10/2017 at 6:53 AM, nzan said:

I am guilty of this, which is why that ugly mug in my avatar is myself.  Be what you believe, that's my motto.

Archived