The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD is out of his depth

Canucks Curse

0-2-3 at home

just a few things

- Young players are not playing enough

-BO -played under 14 min and only killed the penalty in over time (which was fantastic)

-MccAnn, a few mistakes, but was flying out there - why not use him in overtime...

-Beartschi -this game was made for him, speed and skill but he is barely given any opportunity.

-Virtanen - again this game is made for him in that there was a lot of speed and space out there but he was used sparringly and he could have set a tone physically in the third.

-poor line change at end of game - not sure who's fault that is but does not look good.

-Team looks unmotivated in the third, 3 3rd period leads melted away and not to star teams either - wings, oilers, flames

-are the sedins the only players allowed to play in even strength in overtime??

- I just see a cocah who cannot make in game adjustments for the life of him,cannot figure out how to hold leads, does not play young players and yet he says he knows what they can do and they need to be sheltered.

Not sure WD is out of his depth but he does get out coached.  This team won't be good for a while, and WD is supposed to be good at developing kids. I'm willing to let him play out his contract (2 years), after that it's time to bring in coach Green from Utica. Right now it's rebuild time. I don't mind that, we need to rebuild and it's a process. It'll be 5 years before this team turns around so be patient.  

Baertschi and Virtanen simply didn't do enough to earn any more minutes. I am with WD on this - they shouldn't just get more minutes because they're young. Quite frankly, everyone else played better and harder than those two. Why have Virtanen skate around doing nothing when Prust and Dorsett at least generate some chances and energy?

That being said, we're not using the kids right. Lumping 3 struggling kids together is just plain stupid. Horvat still needs support, he's by no means good enough to be his own center yet, and Baertschi is similar. Virtanen just doesn't belong in the NHL yet and I think this experiment has to end ASAP.

I'd like to see this for a bit more kid support:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Shinkaruk - McCann - Prust

Baertschi and Virtanen shouldnt play together. In fact, I think both of them need a game or two in the pressbox. They arent really doing anything with the ice time they have. WD played McCann nearly 12 mins. Why? Because he was flying, right from the start, arguably our best forward.

Baertschi and Virtanen need to be split up, and show some more emotion out there. I know its tough not playing that much and then getting shifts here and there...but im not seeing enough. 

i agree with most of your points. i think in OT the Sedins dont have the foot speed to keep up with the open ice. i think we need to gamble and use the young guys with speed. mccann looked like he was flying and willie may of needed to reconize that a bit. Hopefully he will see that and use the speedier players next OT.

Willie likes watermelon and chicken 

I like Pudding

Phil Kessel likes turtle neck sweaters and listens to Jewel

Shayne O'brien like mayo and beer... well mostly beer

I want to see Kent Hitchcock in a deep dish pizza eating contest against Trent Klatt (the present day trent), Kyle Wellwood and Dustin Byfuglien, Marty Brodeur can come to but he has to pay $100

i really hope that we arent starting a bash willie thing here. this core hasnt been able to produce for three years. we got young guys coming up. remember its going to be a transition period. we arent going to dominate this year. And sometimes games like tonight are valuable lessons for the young guys. relax.

i really hope that we arent starting a bash willie thing here. this core hasnt been able to produce for three years. we got young guys coming up. remember its going to be a transition period. we arent going to dominate this year. And sometimes games like tonight are valuable lessons for the young guys. relax.

but then what are we doing here... I like your points, but what are we doing for virtannen and Beartschi's develpoment playing them under 7 minutes

No wins at home is fine? 

it is, if everyone buys in that we're in a "rebuild" phase xD this team isn't in "rebuild mode." if that were the case, we'd be like cbj right now, with everyone saying, oh, we're fine, but a team on a rebuild, like how people claim the canucks to be, arent playoff teams. this team, sadly, is still a playoff team. it has no real right to be, but this team still has talent to get through

people claim WD is this excellent teacher, but its no different than when we saw vigs in charge. in 3 on 3 overtime, you dont trot out an aging daniel and henrik sedin, who can no longer keep up with the play. it's dumb, and it needs to stop

Archived