The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Nikita Zaitsev

He will probably be the successful Russian D to come over. Not many are at that stage of there careers, but I think he will for some reason. Seems like a smart enough hockey player from the highlights I've seen.

From Leafs Blog:

Top young Russian defensemen Nikita Zaitsev was reportedly a target for the Leafs this summer before he returned to CSKA Moscow to honour the final year of his contract.

"I can’t sign anything now but I visited Leafs and was pleasantly surprised by the reception," the young defender to a Russian news outlet. "I visited Leafs office and the arena, locker-room, talked to GM and the head coach and was very impressed."

The Leafs, he said, were the only team that had a "real big interest" in him, adding that he would return to the KHL with the NHL in the back of his mind.

Some more right handed depth on D would be nice but that's probably all it would be.  Good for Zaitsev that he's putting together a career year at 24 in the KHL and will have the chance to turn it into a NHL contract.  But these types of players rarely become impact players in the NHL.  I guess we'll see, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

it would be a free prospect if we got him.

Since he has to sign a ELC (one year), money won't be a factor. It will all be based on fit. The Canucks definitely have a need for defensemen, specifically of the right handed variety, but I can't see Benning guaranteeing him anything -- especially ice time. He will have to sell him on 'the process' and will likely request him to start in the AHL.

Some more right handed depth on D would be nice but that's probably all it would be.  Good for Zaitsev that he's putting together a career year at 24 in the KHL and will have the chance to turn it into a NHL contract.  But these types of players rarely become impact players in the NHL.  I guess we'll see, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Artemi Panarin says hello ;)

Thanks to the previous regime who treated Shirokov so badly, you think any russian will sign here from the KHL ha ha ha! This guy will call Shirokov and then you guess lol 

Well one Russian is coming is he not? Tryamkin is a Russian.

I actually think we can sell him on where we look to be heading and who is leading us. We are already pounding teams and that's with 3/4 young inexperienced rookies in the team.

We will also probably have the young Russian Zhukenov up with us in a season or two if his showing in pre-season is anything to go by.

Some of the players coming over from the KHL have been very good. This year we have guys like Plotnikov and Panarin who have really impressed. I wouldn't be writing him off as some nobody. Based on the teams interested in him I am willing to bet he is better than your average college free agent.

From Friedman's 30 Thoughts today:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-power-struggle-over-the-coachs-challenge/

First: Nikita Zaitsev.

The 24-year-old right-shot defenceman is a free agent, scheduled to come to North America next season. At one point, it was thought he would sign last summer, but decided to stay one more year. Philadelphia and Toronto were hot-and-heavy for his services with Calgary, Los Angeles and Vancouver lurking nearby.

“If he’s not 100 per cent ready for the NHL,” one GM said, “he’s really close.”

According to several sources, a few teams have recently visited Russia (believed to include Arizona, Detroit and Edmonton) to scout and check his availability. Zaitsev is also on the country’s roster for the upcoming Karjala Cup, an international tournament in Finland also involving the Czech Republic and Sweden. Several NHL clubs are expected to be there, too.

Success in the North American game is no guarantee, but two things set Zaitsev apart from other later-arriving Russian imports. His English is pretty good, and he spends time in the summer training with Gary Roberts. I think he’s done it three times now, although the last trip was shorter than normal due to injury.

He is eligible to sign as of March 1, when his KHL contract is up, although that could be delayed if he chooses to play in the World Championships. By CBA rules, Zaitsev would sign a one-year entry-level contract. After that, he would become a restricted free agent.

All of that sounds so simple. But it isn’t.

In reporting Zaitsev’s imminent arrival, I mentioned that I’d spoken to his agent, Todd Diamond, who had some verifiable information on the situation. On Sunday, I received a phone call asking why I’d done that, since the agent is Mike Liut. (Liut was not the caller, but did confirm via text that he believes he has an agreement with the player. And, the NHLPA has paperwork indicating that.)

Then, on Monday, an interested team mentioned they were told Zaitsev is represented by someone else.

“Welcome to our world,” one exec laughed.

This will clear up, as Zaitsev needs to confirm with the NHLPA who gets to negotiate his contract. Teams want it settled — and fast. Especially the ones who are worried all the legwork will be wasted if they’ve been talking to the wrong guy.

There’s no confusion on the interest in Zaitsev, though. He has plenty of pursuers.

Maybe a team gets (or already has) an inside path because of who they're negotiating with. If the Canucks really do have a chance, here's hoping they're talking to the right agent! 

From Friedman's 30 Thoughts today:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-power-struggle-over-the-coachs-challenge/

Maybe a team gets (or already has) an inside path because of who they're negotiating with. If the Canucks really do have a chance, here's hoping they're talking to the right agent! 

Does that mean if he is eligible to sign March 1, and he can sign a 1 year ELC, it would encompass the balance of this 2015/16 season?

Its important I think. Because your first ELC contract has to be two way and it would expire at the end of the (this) season with the signing team retaining his RFA rights?  The team could then offer him a guaranteed 1 way pact for the 2016/17 season...

A big reason many don't jump from the KHL is because they give up a guaranteed $500K or million dollar deal in Russia for a deal that might pay them $75K if they get stuck in the minors. AKA Shirikov.

Archived