The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mosque in Peterborough, Ont., Deliberately Set on Fire

nucklehead

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/mosque-in-peterborough-ont-deliberately-set-on-fire/article27265878/

Congregants at Peterborough’s Masjid Al Salaam – literally, “the peace mosque” – are looking for a temporary new home after someone set fire to their building Saturday night.

The suspicion in the Central Ontario town is that one or more vandals lashed out at local Muslims following Friday’s deadly attacks in Paris, which were perpetrated by terrorists acting in the name of the Islamic State militants in the Middle East.

“It looks like a hate crime,” said Zahid Sultan, vice-president of the local Muslim association. Peterborough police have “told us they are taking this as a hate crime and they have taken evidence into their custody,” he said.

Speaking by phone as he surveyed the damage, Mr. Sultan said somebody threw a flammable bottle of liquid through a main floor window. He estimated that the attack caused up to $100,000 in smoke damage to the mosque, which is a converted house.

Those who set ablaze the mosque are equally boneheaded and idiotic as the attackers. People who think that this action someway justifies the November 13th attacks are wrong and hateful. 

Idiots. 

Great, just what we need....more hate... :angry:

When tragedies like this happen (the paris event), you suddenly realize how many ignorant, close-minded people surrounds you everyday.

Unbelievable.

This is most concerning, not that social media sites are the determining factor but the crap I have seen people post is quite disappointing to say the least.

What does the National Athletic Trainers' Association have to do with this.

Not to undermine the serious nature of this thread of but I just wanted to point this out. Captain Canuck, I see you joined April 23 2009, ~6.5 years ago. In that time you've neglected to make a single post until now, when you lost your post virginity by getting sassy with desi. You're well on your way sir.

15108135.jpg

wtf is going on this world, isis just posted another video threatening to attack more countries, people will start living in fear now, why can't they just send 20k troops from a NATA and deal with this crap!

So have you gone down to the enlistment hall to sign up for the Canadian Armed Forces?

This is most concerning, not that social media sites are the determining factor but the crap I have seen people post is quite disappointing to say the least.

Yeah I've had a few 'can't believe I'm actually friends with/related to somone who'd post that' moments lately.

Yeah I've had a few 'can't believe I'm actually friends with/related to somone who'd post that' moments lately.

you think you know people until something like this happens. I find these opinions happen more often with a crowd older than i 35-60 ish. Havent seen alot of this from the under 30 age group.

Someone I know posted a map of Canada on Facebook that had "F*** Off, We're Full" written across it.

How the heck can Canada be full? I am pretty certain that of major countries only Australia has a lower population density.

As always it's the ignorant who speak the loudest. :(

I just saw the same text under a Canadian flag...:picard:

it's all over.

ive seen stickers on Alberta plate trucks with stickers in the shape of the province and those same words.

in northern bc I've seen truck tailgates with some crazy nationalistic and  anti Muslim signage.

Archived