The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Montreal is "all in" looking to "go for it", want to add a forward

Just now, Alflives said:

How about Juulson?

I don't know much about Juulson to be honest. I've seen many people on these forums talk about him over the last week or so, but I don't really have an opinion on whether he'd be a fit or not. I don't look at him being a "bc boy" being much of a factor. Geography should never be the key selling point of a player in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't know much about Juulson to be honest. I've seen many people on these forums talk about him over the last week or so, but I don't really have an opinion on whether he'd be a fit or not. I don't look at him being a "bc boy" being much of a factor. Geography should never be the key selling point of a player in my opinion.

I heard he's a younger version of Bieksa.  If he's half a KB than I would want him on our team.

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

How about, 26th overall. Plays for the Silvertips. Right handed D-man. 6'2" 174 lbs. Scored 9 goals and 43 assists last year. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuF8qYbXyyM

I don't see the Canucks trading Vrbata this early in the season with our position. They want to compete for the playoffs only chances he's moved if at the deadline management doesn't feel we are srs contenders, he is not going to resign and a deal is on the table that cannot be turned down.

Right now the habs have a lot of tradable assets and I think they will be going for a big fish and perhaps even a depth goalie is possible depending  on how long price will be and how Condon keeps up with the Hab pressure.

I could see Okposo being moved to the habs, I could also see a splash being made for johansen.

But they need a winger more, Garth Snow seems to not want to sign Okposo so a goal scoring PWF would be great for the habs.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Keeping Vrbata and/or Hamhuis past the trade deadline would be very poor asset management.  Both will likely be gone in the offseason for nothing.  If you can get something out of one or both of them before the trade deadline, you gotta think it's the right move for short term pain vs long term gain.  Making the playoffs is fine, but not at the expense of losing assets for nothing.

I'm getting tired of hearing this argument. You wanna know what bad asset management is? Trading away a top 6 forward and a top 4 Dman before heading into the playoffs. 

You get in and you never know what will happen, the west hasn't been this wide open in a decade. 

If we aren't in the race at the deadline fine, but that is plan B IMO. 

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I'm getting tired of hearing this argument. You wanna know what bad asset management is? Trading away a top 6 forward and a top 4 Dman before heading into the playoffs. 

You get in and you never know what will happen, the west hasn't been this wide open in a decade. 

If we aren't in the race at the deadline fine, but that is plan B IMO. 

And this is what's been wrong with the team the past handful of years.

Good thing new management has actually moved on from that and are actually building for the future.

1 minute ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

And this is what's been wrong with the team the past handful of years.

Good thing new management has actually moved on from that and are actually building for the future.

Some of the biggest mistakes in many franchise history's have been made during the haste of the trade deadline. It would be great to capitalize on that if we plummet to the bottom. 

If we are still in the hunt and clearly heading into the playoffs, trading core pieces before the playoffs is a stupid move. 

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Some of the biggest mistakes in many franchise history's have been made during the haste of the trade deadline. It would be great to capitalize on that if we plummet to the bottom. 

If we are still in the hunt and clearly heading into the playoffs, trading core pieces before the playoffs is a stupid move. 

Which pieces are we considering core?  Twins yes and untouchable.  The young guys are untouchable.  After these players, who are the untouchable core players we need so badly?  Tanev for Hamonic?  Some would argue that's an upgrade.  Vrbata for Juulson?  Some would argue that's a great building piece coming back.

46 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about, 26th overall. Plays for the Silvertips. Right handed D-man. 6'2" 174 lbs. Scored 9 goals and 43 assists last year. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuF8qYbXyyM

I'm not going to say no to Juulsen, but I doubt Vrbata would be enough to acquire him. He might be one of those pieces that are unmovable for Montreal. It would be nice if Montreal proved to be that "all in", but you'd think Montreal would be looking at Staal or Johansen if they were truly looking to trade Juulsen. I think they'd go after Vrbata if they were hoping to keep Juulsen. lol

Just my thoughts on it anyway. I don't know enough about it really to want to jump to any conclusions on who or what I'd want.

28 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm not going to say no to Juulsen, but I doubt Vrbata would be enough to acquire him. He might be one of those pieces that are unmovable for Montreal. It would be nice if Montreal proved to be that "all in", but you'd think Montreal would be looking at Staal or Johansen if they were truly looking to trade Juulsen. I think they'd go after Vrbata if they were hoping to keep Juulsen. lol

Just my thoughts on it anyway. I don't know enough about it really to want to jump to any conclusions on who or what I'd want.

Usually when you go "all in" means you usually trade picks or prospects to get impact players for now. 

Just now, Alflives said:

I think the Habs would offer Tinordi.  From the sounds of Juulsen, he might be too good for them to give up.

Depends what we're offering, and how bad Montreal want's to go all in yes? It's just like at the trade deadline. You don't know who gets moved. I'm not saying Juulsen or bust. But the "All in" mentality is that you'd move pieces you would normally not move if you as a GM thinks it's what it would take to get the Finals. You're sacrificing the future to win now.

19 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Depends what we're offering, and how bad Montreal want's to go all in yes? It's just like at the trade deadline. You don't know who gets moved. I'm not saying Juulsen or bust. But the "All in" mentality is that you'd move pieces you would normally not move if you as a GM thinks it's what it would take to get the Finals. You're sacrificing the future to win now.

Sounds good to me.  Juulsen seems the guy we would want.  Hold on for him, and maybe get him before noon on deadline day?

To mtl: vrbata (2m retained)

to van: 1st pick 2016...or a 2nd and a 3rd depending on how well vrbata is playing in 3 months

vrbata would fit well in their system and forward make up 

pacioretty-deshainais-gallagher

eller-galchenyuk-vrbata

Fleischmann-plekanec-weise

flynn-Mitchell-smith pelly

semin

Montreal may have found their solution to a 2nd line rw internally. Andrighetto has shown great chemistry with Eller and Galchenyuk.  In their three games together Galchenyk has 3 goals and Andrighetto has 2.  If they can keep up their high level of play I seriously doubt Montreal makes any move

10 hours ago, ice orca said:

Hmmm I think Benning believes the Canucks can make the playoffs. He also hinted yesterday on 1040 he might want more scoring in a trade, why would he get rid of Vrbata in a trade? Kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Of course he is not going to disclose anything yet.

If you can get a guy with term left, that is different than a UFA.

Boy the idea of Burrows would be intriguing, not a guy you really want to lose as he is pretty versatile and a perfect team guy.  You would think he would be pretty stoked to play for Montreal, and they would be stoked to have a francophone who has been to the finals before.

Also, I would expect that there would be 2-3 moves that could net us a scorer and a  couple D.

I am pretty confident at this point that McCann and/or Virtanen are going to the World Championships (barring injuries on our side that mean we need the bodies)... and they may get demoted before their 40 game limit.... so I think Benning has that in mind for what pieces he wants for the season and beyond.

Archived