The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers to "eventually move a soft skill player", possibly Eberle or RNH

@TSNHockey:
INSIDER TRADING: Could the Oilers deal Eberle and RNH? http://fw.to/8YXr0HW  #TSNHockey  

@dstaples:
Oilers will eventually move out a "soft skills" player like Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle, team insider says. #ICYMI
https://t.co/wbEmKRVqCL

Oilers have to move somebody to fill other needs. Trading RNH wouldn't be the smartest of moves as he's on pace for his 4th 50 point season before the age of 23; players to do that over the past 20 years: Crosby, Kane, Kopitar, Stamkos, Toews. Not even that, it's just that Nuge is one of their harder working players. 

IMO, Oilers have to pull the trigger on Eberle to get help on defense. He's got offensive skill and that's it. No real two way game and moving him would hit two birds with one stone, also getting rid of that big cap hit. Yakupov also being an option but his value dropping steadily, won't have the value and get the return Eberle will. Plus with the emergence of Draisatl, makes it easier as he can fill the loss permanently playing a good all around game. 

...worst rebuild in sports history possibly. 1st overall pick after 1st overall pick, still sit in the basement of the league. 

I actually don't think RNH is that soft. Is he on the smaller side? Yeah. However, I've seen a bit more grit in his game than a lot of Oilers, including Hall. Hall plays recklessly and opens himself up to big hits. Rarely do you see him working hard in corners, etc. RNH actually initiates contact. If I'm Chiarelli, any trade involving one of their younger kids should require the other team to accept Pouliot/Purcell as part of the trade.  

13 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

@TSNHockey:
INSIDER TRADING: Could the Oilers deal Eberle and RNH? http://fw.to/8YXr0HW  #TSNHockey  

@dstaples:
Oilers will eventually move out a "soft skills" player like Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle, team insider says. #ICYMI
https://t.co/wbEmKRVqCL

Oilers have to move somebody to fill other needs. Trading RNH wouldn't be the smartest of moves as he's on pace for his 4th 50 point season before the age of 23; players to do that over the past 20 years: Crosby, Kane, Kopitar, Stamkos, Toews. Not even that, it's just that Nuge is one of their harder working players. 

IMO, Oilers have to pull the trigger on Eberle to get help on defense. He's got offensive skill and that's it. No real two way game and moving him would hit two birds with one stone, also getting rid of that big cap hit. Yakupov also being an option but his value dropping steadily, won't have the value and get the return Eberle will. Plus with the emergence of Draisatl, makes it easier as he can fill the loss permanently playing a good all around game. 

...worst rebuild in sports history possibly. 1st overall pick after 1st overall pick, still sit in the basement of the league. 

Thereby making Yak cheaper in the event JB goes after him. Not sure what we'd have to pony up to get him but certainly much less the Eberle.

IMO, he was looking better and better this year. Put him on a half decent team and he could scary good.

Just curious, would you guys do a Virtanen for Nuge swap? 1 for 1?

It'll never happen, just curious to see if you guys would. I probably would to be honest..

EDIT: Eh, actually, on second thought, maybe I wouldn't, but i'd think long and hard about it..

Just now, Senpai said:

Just curious, would you guys do a Virtanen for Nuge swap? 1 for 1?

It'll never happen, just curious to see if you guys would. I probably would to be honest..

How is that a question? That 1 for 1 swap is not even debatable.

1 minute ago, Zfetch said:

How is that a question? That 1 for 1 swap is not even debatable.

As in you'd take it and run? (Canucks perspective, of course)

I love Nuge, but he's small and kind of weak. If i was trading Virtanen, i'd try and go for a more bonafide center. Duchene, for example. 

Here's a solution.. Why not pick a top ranked defenseman at the draft instead of always picking the consensus number 1 pick..

They have like a logjam of forwards now.. 

Aside from Hall and McDavid they didn't need to draft RNH, Yak, or even Draisaitl and should have picked the next top available defenseman.  

Archived