The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will there be a suspension..

Tavrohorvat53

Suspension?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

upcoming for the hit on Henrik Sedin? 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/grabovski-gets-the-boot-for-hit-on-henrik-sedin/

The hit looked late and smack centre on the numbers,  in an area widely known to be a high danger area, just a few feet from the boards.  

The push was completely unnecessary by Grabvoski and showed a lack of responsibility towards league safety protocols. 

One thing the officials did correctly for once was kicking Grabvoski out of a game tagging him with a game misconduct penalty, and a 5 minute major, which was cut down to 3 minutes after they gave Bartkowski with roughing penalty for responding to the hit. A pile up which should've resulted in roughing to both parties. Then the same major penalty was cut down to only 1:45 when biega got called for mixing it up.

So is a five minute major, "major" enough?

For a hit of that degree the fine during the game should be 10 minutes or more. There has to be 

a real and substantial consequence for committing such type of hits. It should not be taken lightly.

However, instead of reviewing the hit in real time and making an accurate call, the NHL continues to turn a blind eye, thus failing to reduce injuries that could be prevented.

The supplemental discipline handed out should be in addition to the  correct penalties called during the game and not be treated separately. 

With that said, if the NHL is serious about theses types of hits, then a suspension should be handed out in due time. The length of suspension for the severity of that hit was as high as five games. If no suspension is given it is further proof of the broken system of officiating and discipline in the NHL.

Cappuano post game: 

I felt like the game misconduct was enough for what the hit looked like. It was unfortunate but it didn't seem too predatory to me. What I regret however, is the lack of physical response by us on their whole team, especially their captain. They should've buried Grabovski into the ground and hammered their whole team with hits for the entire game after taking down Henrik. Sometimes players have to do some policing themselves and not leave it up to the league, especially a league as inconsistent as the NHL.

I honestly don't think it warrants any supplemental discipline. The hit was careless and dangerous and it cost them a 5 minute major penalty and had Grabovski tossed from the game. There was no maliciousness or intent on the play nor was it a headshot. Quite frankly - there have been much more severe boarding penalties called this season around the league that didn't even get the 5 minute major. The in-game call was correct and should stand as it is. Its unfortunate that Henrik got hurt (and really hurts our chances of staying the playoff picture) but injuries are a natural result of misplays. Just because someone gets injured does not mean someone is getting suspended.

Edit: Just felt like adding that I would rather see plays like the one Dorsett made on Tavares (you know, the completely unnecessary faceoff annihilation) removed from the game and disciplined simply because that is someone going out of their way to target someone with intent. I don't know what Dorsett was thinking, but a player that acts like that should garner more discipline than someone making an out-of-character misplay. 

5 and a game is standard in such incidents and I think is fine.

Afterwards the powers that be will review the incident on video and that coupled with the offenders history will determine whether a suspension is warranted.

The procedure is fine.  The question is whether the decision will be.  Henrik said himself that he thought that head shots and illegal shots from behind were decreasing.  Whether that is because of the leagues enforcement of rules or a culture shift amongst players is up for debate.

Archived