The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion - Trade Deadline Canuck UFA"s

So there's been a lot of talk about potentially trading Hamhuis and vrbata for picks, but there's a few forgotten ufas that could interest a few playoff teams

1. Dan Hamhuis: top 4 defenceman on most nhl teams

2. Radim Vrbata: top 6 forward who can help on the pp

3. Matt Bartkowski: depth mobile defenceman on a cheap contract

4. Adam cracknell: depth big bodied 4th line centre with playoff experience

5. Brandon prust: character 4th liner who adds some much needed playoff grit

6. Weber: defensive depth with a big shot 

is bartkowski in the plans for next season?

cracknell could easily be replaced by current Utica players

what kind of return can we expect from our ufa list?

Return for Bartkowski and Cracknell = nil.

Return for Prust and Weber-might be nil, possibly a low round pick at the deadline

Return for Vrbata-I'm at the low end here and think a 2nd (or equivalent value in a prospect) is the maximum the Canucks could dream about at present.  A few goals in the next little while would help.

I don't think prust Weber or cracks will get much, they would be lucky to get a 6th or 7th round pick for those guys.

vrbata I'd assume a 3rd a second if he plays better before the deadline.

hammer probably a high second or late 1st 

bartkowski maybe a 3rd or 4th 

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Hamhuis = 1st & Prospect

Vrbata = 1st

Higgins, Cracknell, Prust, Weber = 1st

A 1st for Vrbata? How so exactly?

22 points, mid 30's only 11 goals and a playoff no show. Who on earth will give a 1st rounder?

I'll even leave out the minus 22 bit...

Edit, lmao I didn't notice your last sentence at first. :)

24 minutes ago, tyhee said:

Return for Vrbata-I'm at the low end here and think a 2nd (or equivalent value in a prospect) is the maximum the Canucks could dream about at present.  A few goals in the next little while would help.

24 minutes ago, Nd1989 said:

vrbata I'd assume a 3rd a second if he plays better before the deadline.

Typical Canuck fan presentist bias and short-sightedness.  Do you really believe that a proven scorer in the league who just put up 31 goals last year has suddenly fallen to near-worthlessness, and that by popping a few goals now will actually change his value?  The vast majority of GMs are smarter than this, that is why they have their jobs.

By this "logic", Stamkos's UFA value would be directly determined by how many goals he scores in the last month of the season.

24 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Hamuis= d prospect+ 1st or 2nd

Vrbata= 2nd+ 3rd

Weber= 5th

Prust= 6th 

Doubt bartkowski gets traded

Doubt any team wants cracknell

Hammer - late first rounder only

Vrbata - late secound rounder only

Weber & Prust - need to take a player n cap back the a late round draft pick

I think most would agree that the void of Cracknell, Weber, Bartkowski, Higgins, or Prust could all be filled by a player in Utica...

... and that's exactly what the other 29 teams in the league will be thinking, except replace 'Utica' with a given team's AHL affiliate. Teams can promote from within, using up less cap space, and without giving up assets.

Hamhuis and Vrbata are the only tradeable assets. If I were Benning, I'd look to see which of the top 10-15 teams in the league have an extra pick in the first/second round, and start negotiating with those teams.

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I think most would agree that the void of Cracknell, Weber, Bartkowski, Higgins, or Prust could all be filled by a player in Utica...

... and that's exactly what the other 29 teams in the league will be thinking, except replace 'Utica' with a given team's AHL affiliate. Teams can promote from within, using up less cap space, and without giving up assets.

Big difference for a bottom 10 team giving opportunities to young players to get NHL experience vs a playoff team throwing a prospect in to their lineup and cross their fingers hoping they wont be liabilities... These players are appealing to playoff teams because they are aware of positional play and systems... also are likely much better shot blockers and penalty killers... theres more to a game then pucks in the net and while the mentioned players have been lack luster on a rebuilding team they may be valuable depth and specialized players for a contending team.

That said low-end picks for sure and doubt all of them will be moved

2 minutes ago, goblix said:

Big difference for a bottom 10 team giving opportunities to young players to get NHL experience vs a playoff team throwing a prospect in to their lineup and cross their fingers hoping they wont be liabilities... These players are appealing to playoff teams because they are aware of positional play and systems... also are likely much better shot blockers and penalty killers... theres more to a game then pucks in the net and while the mentioned players have been lack luster on a rebuilding team they may be valuable depth and specialized players for a contending team.

That said low-end picks for sure and doubt all of them will be moved

The AHL isn't just filled with a bunch of prospects that are wet behind the ears. For example, people might say Washington could use a depth dman for a long playoff run, meaning that Bart or Weber could be desirable.

Washington has Ryan Stanton in their system. 

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

So there's been a lot of talk about potentially trading Hamhuis and vrbata for picks, but there's a few forgotten ufas that could interest a few playoff teams

1. Dan Hamhuis: top 4 defenceman on most nhl teams

2. Radim Vrbata: top 6 forward who can help on the pp

3. Matt Bartkowski: depth mobile defenceman on a cheap contract

4. Adam cracknell: depth big bodied 4th line centre with playoff experience

5. Brandon prust: character 4th liner who adds some much needed playoff grit

6. Weber: defensive depth with a big shot 

is bartkowski in the plans for next season?

cracknell could easily be replaced by current Utica players

what kind of return can we expect from our ufa list?

Hamhius will get us a late 1st rounder and potentially a B grade prospect or a mid to late 1st rounder

Vrbata will get us at least a 2nd rounder if not higher

Bartowski would likely garnish a 5th rounder

Cracknell would clear waivers and would just have to give him away

Prust might get you a 6th at the deadline if some team is desperate for toughness due to an injury

Weber might get you a 6th to a desperate team looking for depth (Bartowksi would probably be favorable to every team for a playoff push)

In conclusion, Hamhius and Vrbata are our only players worth trading.  Everyone else it's not worth the phone call

Just now, Down by the River said:

The AHL isn't just filled with a bunch of prospects that are wet behind the ears. 

The majority are... AHL is a development league afterall... career AHLers are there for veteran presence for the young guys to learn from. It's rare for them to see NHL time especially playoff time. Anyways time will tell, I think Prust will be traded, Cracknell maybe and I doubt Weber and Higgins will be traded. Cracknell I have no clue if the canucks will bother/want to trade. Either way any of these guys won't cost much for a team so if its a 5th -- 7th round pick then it's hard to argue that you're mortgaging a future with those kind of picks...

Archived