The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canuck Centre Depth and what to do with them now and in the future

The Canucks have lots of centres.  How should the Canucks be using them all?  And considering that Vrbata may be on his way out at the deadline, does this affect the equation moving forward?

1. Sedin
  2. Horvat
  3. Sutter
  4. Vey
  5. McCann
  6. Cracknell
  7. Zalewski

All of these centres are possible starters for the Canucks.  The untried Zalewski is the possible exception but he is very close and is tearing it up in Utica.

We have a lot of flexibility but yeah it is a bit crowded. 

McCann will pass Vey eventually but I don't like developing him on our 4th line.  Utica might be best for McCann's development next season.

Sutter and Zalewski have shown they can play wing, although Sutter is our best faceoff man. Vey needs to show that he can play wing as well if he wants to stick on our team in the long term.

I think Cracknell could be gone next year. Players like him come and go.

I remember just a few years ago we had one of the most thinnest center depth in the league (remember the Derek Roy trade?)

Now look. Definitely a good problem to have.

Time will tell.

I hope McCann can transition to wing. Quite frankly his faceoff numbers have been atrocious in important games and he can still use his playmaking abilities and shot from the wing.

While its easier to suggest Vey move to the wing since he is the CDC whipping boy - Vey has had solid faceoff numbers so far and has done well in his position.

be interesting how long Sutter gets deployed as the 4C, new cap hit over 4m, at worst he should be 3rd line with tons of minutes.

convert mccann to wing until h sedin retires. also our draft pick this year could be a C or W. if we pick top 4 we take a forward their too good to pass on.

I think they should send McCann AND Virtanen back to junior and trade Vrbata. If we get any offers on Vey I'd listen because I don't see how we could fit him in the lineup next year at centre or wing.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen/Sutter

Baer - Horvat - Sutter/Hansen

Etem - Vey - Burrows

Dorsett - Cracknell - Grenier

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Even uncertain whether Gaunce is a C or LW'er?

You gotta' believe 1 or 2 will be parts of packages to acquire D-youth.

Gaunce can be a center in a pinch (in the AHL) but should be and will be a LW.

And that's the solution to our other depth, except our other centers are good as centers but can play wing. Look at the Islanders, their first line alone has Tavares, Brock Nelson and Ryan Strome - all centers. Certainly we can look to move some in trade as well (maybe we lose one of Vey or McCann in a package), or we'll just lose some lesser ones as free agents (maybe we drop Cracknell to give Zalewski a chance), so some of that will solve itself.

To be frank, I'd hope to flip someone like McCann or Vey for an equivalent defensive prospect just so that we're well rounded on all fronts. We aren't close to finishing our rebuild/retool so it's better to start spreading the wealth now rather than having to circulate players like Biega and Weber.

I'm still kind of bummed out we won't get the chance to use the likes of Hamhuis/Bieksa to mentor more than Hutton, but it is what it is I guess.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The Canucks have lots of centres.  How should the Canucks be using them all?  And considering that Vrbata may be on his way out at the deadline, does this affect the equation moving forward?

1. Sedin
  2. Horvat
  3. Sutter
  4. Vey
  5. McCann
  6. Cracknell
  7. Zalewski

All of these centres are possible starters for the Canucks.  The untried Zalewski is the possible exception but he is very close and is tearing it up in Utica.

I mentioned this the other day in a thread..kind of a log jam..Vey getting called back up and staying made it more congested..we will have to clear a couple of Cs I think.

54 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I don't understand why this is a problem. With the kids, it's relatively easy to get them to learn to play more than one forward position. A couple of the "established" "centres" on our team (Sutter, Horvat, Cracknell, Vey) have also probably at one time or another learned to play the wing.

This is a good thing to have. Depth at centre allows the team to carry more forwards that are competent (and maybe even adept) at facing off.

There are lots of possibilities and I was looking for peoples thoughts.

It all depends on how Benning and Co see the forward lines structured and their goals for player management / development.

The way I see it, I think they like having a 4th line that can play a heavier, fore checking game.  So I see a place in the line up for a true 4C who is bigger than average.  Cracknell and Zalewski are both about 210.  The loser of this battle goes back to Utica or gets traded.

For the next year at least, Sedin is clearly the top centre and will remain 1C.

I think that Horvat has progressed well, despite not being sheltered.  Sutter's injury prevented it but he's settling in to be an effective player with Baertschi.  I think he stays at 2C.

That leaves 3C.  If they want a true shut down line, the job is Sutters.  Otherwise, I could see it as a developmental spot.  That is what they have been doing for the last little while.  So all things equal, Vey and McCann can duke it out for 3C.  If McCann loses, he goes to Utica, if Vey loses, he goes to the wing or gets moved (not sure he clears waivers now).

Assuming that Vrbata is traded and the fate of Burrows is up in the air, there could be a place for as many as 2 of the centres on the wing.  Sutter has shown himself to be effective with the twins and Vey or McCann (although Vey is probably a better winger) could play either 2RW or 3RW.  All this assumes as well that Benning doesn't go after a free agent forward.  He knows though, that he isn't forced into the free agent route because there are viable alternatives.  This leaves us with:

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Etem McCann Vey

Dorsett Cracknell/Zalewski Virtanen

Gaunce Grenier

Is Vey put in the line up in an attempt to raise his trade value at the deadline? I don't imagine he's part of the teams long term plan. He must clear waivers before being sent down, so are the Canucks showcasing him in order to get anything at all for him?

I think McCann ends up in Utica next year. And with the type of player he is, getting 1st line minutes and 1st unit powerplay time is probably better for him long term than getting 4th line minutes and no powerplay time with the Canucks.

Zalewski was only offered a deal to the end of the season and that was just to maintain his RFA rights, so who knows if he's even here next season. He very well may also be trade bait. If not, then he's competing for the 4th line. Either that or competing on left wing with Shinkaruk and Gaunce.

I don't think Cracknell will even last to the end of this season. Especially if we do become sellers at the TD. At that point, I think we'll see Utica guys getting ice time on the big club. Either way though, even if Cracknell is resigned, it'll be straight to Utica for him after this season. Too many other options.

Vey needs a new deal and I imagine he'll get it with the level of play he's shown recently. Wouldn't be too surprised to hear of a 2 year 2 million per deal. If the Shinkaruk-Vey-Etem line doesn't get a look this season, it'll definitely be the focus of preseason and if it does well, that line will be a lock for the roster. Eventually though, Vey will need to move to wing cuz McCann will surpass him as a priority when the Sedins retire.

If Canucks can get Burrows off the books, we'd have a bottom 9 of:

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Dorsett-Sutter-Hansen

Shinkaruk-Vey-Etem

Gaunce as an extra 

McCann in Utica.

To me that makes the most sense for this speedy skill model Benning is trying to build. 

Archived