The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Yep. Last season was Schroeder's best season offensively in the AHL. He also played the best defensively that he ever has.

Anyone that's followed him knows that he done nothing but progress steadily in his time in the AHL. He just needs to prove that he can bring it consistently at the NHL level.

He's alot closer to becoming a third line center than Gaunce or Horvat are at this time.

Yep I agree, he had a strong year in the AHL last year, its a shame AV had him on the 4th line, he was giving Weise & Sestito quality scoring changes every game but nothing.

Oh well I'm excited for the possibilities of him bringing some good depth offense and breaking out a bit.

Though I wouldn't count Gaunce out either & its nice that he can play wing, that really helps his chances.

Listened to an interview with Brent Sutter and he said Gaunce is a long ways away from being a pro and that his NHL upside is probably a 3rd or 4th line player/

Brent Sutter honestly has no idea what he's talking about then. He was called one of the most NHL ready players in the draft a year ago. His upside is 2nd/3rd liner, 4th if he completely stops developing now.

Don't forget that Sutter is also the former head coach of one of our biggest rivals as well.

Listened to an interview with Brent Sutter and he said Gaunce is a long ways away from being a pro and that his NHL upside is probably a 3rd or 4th line player/

Well, you gotta trust Sutter's judgement. Hopefully Gaunce will become a very good 3rd line C, rather than a 4th. That's pretty much what he was projected to be. Being Canuck fans, we all know the value of a good 3rd line C (seeing as we haven't had one since Manny had the eye injury).

I see that Sutter is high on Horvat. Has he said anything about Shinkaruk?

Well, you gotta trust Sutter's judgement. Hopefully Gaunce will become a very good 3rd line C, rather than a 4th. That's pretty much what he was projected to be. Being Canuck fans, we all know the value of a good 3rd line C (seeing as we haven't had one since Manny had the eye injury).

I see that Sutter is high on Horvat. Has he said anything about Shinkaruk?

I don't know about gaunce being that far away from being nhl ready but I'd be really happy if he turned out to be our jordan staal when he was with the pens

Guest Dasein

Brent Sutter honestly has no idea what he's talking about then. He was called one of the most NHL ready players in the draft a year ago. His upside is 2nd/3rd liner, 4th if he completely stops developing now.

Don't forget that Sutter is also the former head coach of one of our biggest rivals as well.

Just because he has opposing views from you he has no idea what he's talking about? He's been around hockey and is very knowledgeable and is the last guy to get a good look at where Gaunce is. Not everybody's perfect and even the most knowledgeable guys make misjudgements. So here's to hoping that Gaunce proves Sutter wrong and cracks the Canucks lineup.

He was VERY high on Horvat, so you can scrap out your last speculation on how he USED to coach one of our biggest rivals.

I really hope that a bunch of CDCers who keep claiming Gaunce is a puck distributor or pencilling him in as a possible 2nd liner this year, or anytime soon, take this evaluation to heart.

Gaunce has good tools to be a 3rd or 4th liner once he adjusts to the speed and talent level of professional opponents. It always seems to me that if a prospect isn't a top 6 player then CDC considers them a 'bust.'

He has an NHL skill set to be a checker and two way player. Being NHL ready and having NHL ready skills are different evaluations. He'll be responsible defensively immediately once he is ready to play and that will help him stay in the line-up over other rookies but that doesn't mean he can step right into the line-up yet.

I wouldn't take what Sutter says to heart too much.

If you based players potential on one summer camp, I would say alot of highly regarded prospects are busts.

Wait to see what he`s got come Canucks training camp before you make any projections.

I wouldn't take what Sutter says to heart too much.

If you based players potential on one summer camp, I would say alot of highly regarded prospects are busts.

Wait to see what he`s got come Canucks training camp before you make any projections.

I don't think he is basing it on just the one camp. Undoubtedly, Sutter has seen Gaunce play quite a bit both on video and in live games. I think it's unreasonable to even make that assumption.

I know I've seen him a half dozen times myself and I'm not employed by Hockey Canada. I can see exactly where Sutter is coming from.

His evaluation is not an insult to Gaunce. If anything I think it should be taken as a compliment. Look at it this way, people are focusing on the fact he said he sees Gaunce as a "3rd or 4th liner" but are glossing over the fact he also said "at the NHL level."

This implies Sutter believes Gaunce is going to be an NHL player. Professional hockey people are known to not overemphasize or rave about kids often.... what Sutter gave was a typical measured and tempered assessment of a young player.

Obviously, we do need to wait until camp to see how he matches up against our other prospects and NHL veterans before we can know for sure about his potential for this year but if we can be confident that he WILL play in the NHL, and for awhile, at some point then it is encouraging IMHO.

Edited by theminister
  • Upvote 1

I don't think he is basing it on just the one camp. Undoubtedly, Sutter has seen Gaunce play quite a bit both on video and in live games. I think it's unreasonable to even make that assumption.

I know I've seen him a half dozen times myself and I'm not employed by Hockey Canada. I can see exactly where Sutter is coming from.

His evaluation is not an insult to Gaunce. If anything I think it should be taken as a compliment. Look at it this way, people are focusing on the fact he said he sees Gaunce as a "3rd or 4th liner" but are glossing over the fact he also said "at the NHL level."

Sutter is not an OHL coach, he`s a WHL coach. I would be surprised if he had watched Gaunce very much, if at all before that. It`s like asking an Eastern Conference coach about a player in the West; they typically do not know much of anything about them other than what they hear. And I would be surprised if he had done any sort of pre-scouting with video on any of these guys.

I watched Gaunce play all season and through the playoffs, and although I agree he likely projects to be a 3rd liner, to me Sutter is underrating his playmaking ability big time. He`s not just a defensive player, he comes up with big points when his team needs it. He was the leading scorer in the tournament too.

Capping his ceiling and saying he`s a ways away from being an NHLer seems like a strange evaluation to me. It's not his decision to decide if he makes the Canucks or not, so why is he trying to do our coaches jobs for them? It's fine if he wants to say what kind of player he is, but don't try and kill the kids hopes before he even tries.

I would not be surprised if Gaunce made the team as a fourth liner this season. And I would also not be surprised if he gets sent back to the OHL. It's merely a wait and see at this point.

Isn't Brent Sutter the coach that once put 5 defencemen out against the canucks in the 3rd period to spite his top 2 forward lines?

Great junior coach but never really translated into the NHL level that I saw while he was in Calgary. But I do agree that unless Gaunce pulls it out and starts progressing even more his ceiling is as one of the best 3rd line centers in the league by age 27. Which is really not a bad thing at all