Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

On 1/18/2019 at 8:43 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Granlunds a better player then Gaunce, so that seems like a poor idea. I could see Granlund traded though and Gaunce being given one last chance next year though.

We have already seen as much as we are ever going to see out of Granlund, with Gaunce there is still some upward movement possible.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

We have already seen as much as we are ever going to see out of Granlund, with Gaunce there is still some upward movement possible.

Yes but Granlund has proved hes an NHL player whereas Gaunce has not up to this point. Im all for giving Gaunce one more shot if a guy like Schaller or Granlund are traded but I think guys like MacEwen also deserve a look as well

I think Gaunce will hang around the organization so long as he isn't claimed off waivers or leaves once he hits UFA status.

IMHO, Gaunce deserves a chance to ply his trade with the Canucks but I guess there's just something missing in his game that management and coaching don't like.  There are lots of players who play well at the AHL level but can't translate it to the NHL so it's hard to argue against the Canucks with Gaunce.  Having said that, Gaunce seemed to be playing pretty well in his last stint with the team so it's disappointing that he was sent down so quickly.

If it's a matter of giving Gaunce playing time while letting a guy like Schaller ride the pine for extended periods of the season, then I'm fine with it.  It will be disappointing if the Canucks lose Gaunce next summer however.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Gaunce brings defense and hitting. He keeps the play in front of him and has one of our highest hits per minutes stats. He's a big body that has been coached the right way, 200 foot game. I think we are over loaded on finesse players and could use some more big bodies up front. He plays an honest style which is what keeps him around. 

I prefer him over Schaller for sure, and Goldy at times. Gaunce would help in our own zone, especially when we have trouble escaping the D zone.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Agree with last 3 posters. Would like to see Gauncer again.

Especially if we're pushing for the playoffs, his career is on the line and I'm pretty sure he's capable of being a physical and defensive force.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

but I guess there's just something missing in his game that management and coaching don't like.  

Pace and attack. Aggressiveness.

Similar problem to Goldobin... Which is why I laugh when people say he's benched because of his 'defensive play' :lol:

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Yes but Granlund has proved hes an NHL player whereas Gaunce has not up to this point. Im all for giving Gaunce one more shot if a guy like Schaller or Granlund are traded but I think guys like MacEwen also deserve a look as well

Who the heck would want Schaller?  He's played like a cheaper version of Eriksson as a Canuck.  He got lucky in that he had a career year (for him) in a contract year.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who the heck would want Schaller?  He's played like a cheaper version of Eriksson as a Canuck.  He got lucky in that he had a career year (for him) in a contract year.

Gaunce is a better, and more usefully effective player than Schaller.  It’s time to cut Schaller loose.  Guy is a wasted roster spot.  

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Oh, I like McEwan, I think in the coming fall he will give somebody a run for his money - but McEwan is. a RW, and Gaunce is a C or LW.  Both have been used on the PP and PK.  The question is, are we rebooting this team?  If we are, Granlund is a roadblock - primarily for Gaunce as a C LW.  If C is not open, McEwan and Gaudette will fight it out for RW.  If Sutter is moved, there is a spot for Gaudette or Gaunce to fight for.

I really don't get how Gaunce has not earned a shot this year.  Having his best offensive stats in both leagues.  Never been a PPG player as a pro before (he is in NHL and close as he has been in AHL.  He is also a plus in both leagues.   And more than a PIM per game for the first time as a pro.  If that is not more offensive punch and more aggression and at least covering a large portion of the knocks against him I don't know what else he could be doing and still be Brendan Gaunce.  

• Upvote 1

I just appreciate we got this kid down on the farm(never claimed)..he should get one more crack, & also help the Comets to possibly get on a run.

Would easily throw Granny in to spice up a pkg-sell.

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Teams looking for extra physical defensive depth. Boston, Toronto and Nashville come to mind.

Boston makes the most sense as they really liked him there and there is a very good chance he may play better in a place he's excelled before.

Basically we just shouldn't take any players from Boston moving forward though.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Oh, I like McEwan, I think in the coming fall he will give somebody a run for his money - but McEwan is. a RW, and Gaunce is a C or LW.  Both have been used on the PP and PK.  The question is, are we rebooting this team?  If we are, Granlund is a roadblock - primarily for Gaunce as a C LW.  If C is not open, McEwan and Gaudette will fight it out for RW.  If Sutter is moved, there is a spot for Gaudette or Gaunce to fight for.

I think management views Leivo as an upgrade on Granlund and we likely see him shipped out as a solid, cheap depth piece with club control to a contender.

We'll see soon enough.

I think if Gaunce is to get another chance, it's likely in Schaller's 12/13 F role if we can manage to move him.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think management views Leivo as an upgrade on Granlund and we likely see him shipped out as a solid, cheap depth piece with club control to a contender.

We'll see soon enough.

I think if Gaunce is to get another chance, it's likely in Schaller's 12/13 F role if we can manage to move him.

I don't think they'll mess with Utica this year.  The team is playing well and the kids are starting to play well.  Taking a player like Gaunce out of the lineup impacts the entire Comets lineup.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't think they'll mess with Utica this year.  The team is playing well and the kids are starting to play well.  Taking a player like Gaunce out of the lineup impacts the entire Comets lineup.  

Didn't say I was talking about this year ;)

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Didn't say I was talking about this year ;)

touche

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

We'll see soon enough.

Yeah, Leivo is an upgrade on Granlund offensively, but probably not defensively - as for shipping out Granlund, is their demand for him?  I agree that Gaunce is a better choice than Schaller, but Gaunce is a strong all round player in Utica and did well in Vancouver in the little time he got - 3 games 3 points, and just about a point a game guy in the AHL - he is still young enough to earn a higher place in the lineup.

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, Leivo is an upgrade on Granlund offensively, but probably not defensively - as for shipping out Granlund, is their demand for him?

We have a LOT of defensive/2 way/bottom 6 players and frankly don't have the roster space to keep everyone heading in to next year. Particularly if they ever want Goldobin to play again or perhaps give Gaudette a more permanent role next fall, MacEwan a shot etc.

Inexpensive to acquire in trade assets, low and prorated cap hit (with club control expiring RFA status), solid 2 way play that can fill in on any bottom 9 line... Sounds exactly like a player a contender would look at adding for cheap depth. I'd imagine PIT would be a great fit.

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, Leivo is an upgrade on Granlund and did well in Vancouver in the little time he got - 3 games 3 points

Small sample sizes...

But again, the reason Gaunce is playing in Utica is his lack of paceattack/aggressiveness/battle etc

Edited by aGENT

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We have a LOT of defensive/2 way/bottom 6 players and frankly don't have the roster space to keep everyone heading in to next year. Particularly if they ever want Goldobin to play again or perhaps give Gaudette a more permanent role next fall, MacEwan a shot etc.

Inexpensive to acquire in trade assets, low and prorated cap hit (with club control expiring RFA status), solid 2 way play that can fill in on any bottom 9 line... Sounds exactly like a player a contender would look at adding for cheap depth. I'd imagine PIT would be a great fit.

Small sample sizes...

But again, the reason Gaunce is playing in Utica is his lack of paceattack/aggressiveness/battle etc

Granlund is our current Hansen who also plays center.  He doesn't have the same motor as Hansen, but better hands.  

Honestly I think its Sutter that needs to go.  He is where plays die.  Gaunce needs to do something.  He is consistent, but can't turn up the dial.  One speed isnt enough.  

He will always find a home as a pro player, but not in the NHL unless he plays every game like it is his last.  

Gaunce isnt better than Granlund.  Schaller was a miss, thank goodness Beagle and Rousel have worked out so well.  

Schaller over Gaunce... meh.  I hope Schaller gets moved at the TDL just to free up the space for McEwan who just might be better than anyone named in  the post.  

Edited by Phat Fingers