The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 hours ago, Western Red said:

I'm not really feeling OJ at the moment, I think Hutton is much more motivated.

Stecher, Gudbranson, Hutton, Edler, Tanev, Pouliot, Biega.

OJ in UTICA barring injuries, first call-up, which will probably be in 2018. 

Hutton is the Dman we should be expecting a lot more from, then EG, DP. 

There’s no way of knowing which guy is more motivated we don’t know the measures that each player is doing this offseason to be ready for next year. For all we know Juolevi is hitting the gym harder than ever or maybe he’s not. But to say one guy is more motivated than the other is heresay. Let’s see what they look like in camp but don’t write Juolevi off yet before camp has even started.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes too early to know if OJ will make it out of camp or not. 

I think the only locks are Stecher, Tanev, Edler and Gudbranson and MDZ. 

If Juolevi is good enough to outplay Hutton, Pouliot and Biega for 6th D-man, he should stay. Or if any of the top 5 listed gets traded, and he makes it into the top 6, he should stay. 

If he is the 7th D-man but has actually outplayed Hutton or Biega or Pouliot, he should go down to Utica to get minutes but as soon as there is an injury in the top 6, he should play over the guys he should have beat out of camp. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

The message for UFA's and players from college is irrelevant. Every player is dying for a shot at an NHL contract. There aren't any players saying to themselves ' ya but look what Vancouver did with so and so'. That's a myth created by media and fantasy GMs. 

Seriously? You can't imagine a scenario where more than one team is competing for a young UFA? And where the teams' reputations for how they treat their young players impact the player's decision? Are you sure you don't want to think about that a bit more?

9 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

From what i watched last year there is only 2 D that warrent a roster spot and that is Elder and Tanev. IMO

When almost the entire D was injured, MDZ played huge minutes, which probably affected his play near the end of the season. To say that any injured player doesn't warrant a roster spot isn't fair to those players. They can't help it if they're injured, and besides it creates a domino effect on the rest of the D roster. Depth guys playing more minutes than they are accustomed.

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

When almost the entire D was injured, MDZ played huge minutes, which probably affected his play near the end of the season. To say that any injured player doesn't warrant a roster spot isn't fair to those players. They can't help it if they're injured, and besides it creates a domino effect on the rest of the D roster. Depth guys playing more minutes than they are accustomed.

I said Tanev warranted a spot he was injuried I was going off of their play drive and success 

DP- I liked watching but just didn’t bring it every night which made him a scratch, also really needed to work on his defensive zone.

BH- really just regressed really badly.

TS- just really didn’t put up the numbers need but was alright in his zone but really didn’t play good enough to warrant a spot.

EG- what can I say, he hasn’t been a physical presence and hasn’t been great in any zone he’s played in hope he shows more being fully healthy 

MDZ- I liked his game but at times you’re just scratching your head looking at what he did but yeah he was put in a tough position last year maybe he warrants something.

Edit: Lifes not fair

Edited by Dats hockey

On 2018-06-01 at 10:44 PM, flickyoursedin said:

There’s no way of knowing which guy is more motivated we don’t know the measures that each player is doing this offseason to be ready for next year. For all we know Juolevi is hitting the gym harder than ever or maybe he’s not. But to say one guy is more motivated than the other is heresay. Let’s see what they look like in camp but don’t write Juolevi off yet before camp has even started.

So true. Its totally unfair to say he is "much" more motivated.  Olli is a driven guy who was repeated whapped on the head by Sami Salo this year.

Every media opportunity Sami had he challenged him and said he could be better. Sami finally gave him some love after the season was over. He emphasized the importance of this off season for his career.  

Hutton should be more motivated by the way he was called out and the environment he's been in.  But I wouldn't count Olli out. He is determined and a warrior.  He shows up when he has too and I believe his internal drive is stronger.

If Ben Hutton comes in without a double chin and looking lean like Jake from last year I would be blown away. I see him probably get dealt tho before he gets a chance unless they actually intend on trying him out.

Ben's value would in theory be at a high point if he got in shape. Teams who liked him may want to pay up more now knowing he's bought in. Issue is tho if he's fitter but still lacks what's required between the ears he's just wavier fodder.  

Do you deal Ben before he disappoints you when you already got good replacement options. Or do you keep him and risk devaluing you further if he continues to struggle?

I see the benefit of Juolevi starting in the NHL and the AHL. Personally I feel the AHL is probably unless he blows the doors off. I'd want him to be the clear choice if he stays.

If not he can go down with the othe guys get re-adjusted to the na ice surface and bond with his minor league teammates. Be good for his personal development to if he's in the AHL to start. 

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Im not trying to put the team down:unsure:

Just trying to say there are plenty of spot for A young stud OJ to come in and steal.

Without some trades, the amount of waiver requiring bodies all but guarantee he at least starts the year in Utica IMO. Even more so if we sign any UFA's.

Personally I think they're going to send OJ down to let Hutton and Pouliot duke it out for that last spot (my money is on DP) and trade whoever they like least (*cough* Hutton) part way through the year (hopefully after at least showing relatively well and raising their value). OJ likely becomes one of the first injury call ups and gets called up 'permanently' after we move MDZ at the TDL.

35 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

So true. Its totally unfair to say he is "much" more motivated.  Olli is a driven guy who was repeated whapped on the head by Sami Salo this year.

Every media opportunity Sami had he challenged him and said he could be better. Sami finally gave him some love after the season was over. He emphasized the importance of this off season for his career.  

Hutton should be more motivated by the way he was called out and the environment he's been in.  But I wouldn't count Olli out. He is determined and a warrior.  He shows up when he has too and I believe his internal drive is stronger.

If Ben Hutton comes in without a double chin and looking lean like Jake from last year I would be blown away. I see him probably get dealt tho before he gets a chance unless they actually intend on trying him out.

Ben's value would in theory be at a high point if he got in shape. Teams who liked him may want to pay up more now knowing he's bought in. Issue is tho if he's fitter but still lacks what's required between the ears he's just wavier fodder.  

Do you deal Ben before he disappoints you when you already got good replacement options. Or do you keep him and risk devaluing you further if he continues to struggle?

I see the benefit of Juolevi starting in the NHL and the AHL. Personally I feel the AHL is probably unless he blows the doors off. I'd want him to be the clear choice if he stays.

If not he can go down with the othe guys get re-adjusted to the na ice surface and bond with his minor league teammates. Be good for his personal development to if he's in the AHL to start. 

I was preaching a Hutton trade pre expansion draft. I thought his value was at its highest then. He was expansion exempt and a young viable option on your defence. I thought we could have taken advantage of teams that didn’t have enough spots to protect guys. Getting Hutton is better than losing the guy for nothing kind of deal. I got flamed then sigh. Why doesn’t anybody listen to my ideas lol.

• Upvote 1

On 2018-06-02 at 10:11 AM, Dats hockey said:

I said Tanev warranted a spot he was injuried I was going off of their play drive and success 

DP- I liked watching but just didn’t bring it every night which made him a scratch, also really needed to work on his defensive zone.

BH- really just regressed really badly.

TS- just really didn’t put up the numbers need but was alright in his zone but really didn’t play good enough to warrant a spot.

EG- what can I say, he hasn’t been a physical presence and hasn’t been great in any zone he’s played in hope he shows more being fully healthy 

MDZ- I liked his game but at times you’re just scratching your head looking at what he did but yeah he was put in a tough position last year maybe he warrants something.

Edit: Lifes not fair

The one thing I would add to the Derrick Pouliot part. Is that when he was scratched he lost a lot of the confidence he had in exiting the zone with the puck and making crisp passes.

He seemed to get in his own head some. I believe Pouliot is the type of player you need to let him play his way and give him consistent ice time to be effective. He looked like our best d some nights when he was first paired with Edler before the scratches.

I believe in the right environment Pouliot has the potential to maybe turn into a similar but maybe slightly less offensive version of what he was profiled to be on jr.  He just really needs consistent ice time and a strong defensive partner who plays to his strengthes.

I personally feel Chris Tanev would be the perfect partner to compliment Derrick Pouliot. Tanev could assist Pouliot deep behind their net when things get tough and Tanev could trust Pouliot on clean zone exits and crisp passing.

I know there is a lot of talk of Juolevi with Tanev but I can see Tanev and Pouliot being good complimentary players for one another. Perhaps if Juolevi goes to the minors to start we see that. Or the reunion of the Juolevi Stecher pairing that looked strong at the prospects games.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I was preaching a Hutton trade pre expansion draft. I thought his value was at its highest then. He was expansion exempt and a young viable option on your defence. I thought we could have taken advantage of teams that didn’t have enough spots to protect guys. Getting Hutton is better than losing the guy for nothing kind of deal. I got flamed then sigh. Why doesn’t anybody listen to my ideas lol.

That would of been an ideal time to move him for sure.  I think that 2.8 mill contract he got made him a little to comfortable.  Is moving Hutton worth the competition for young Olli Juolevi tho?  

I suspect Juolevi will beat out Sautner but can he beat out Hutton?  If we keep Pouliot, Tanev and Gudbranson.  I hope Juolevi starts in the AHL.  Pouliot and Juolevi both need consistent minutes.

Perhaps a injury call up or TDL move or mdz can free up a spot. I just don't want it to be easy for Juolevi. I want him to keep his foot on the pedal snecbe challenged.

We don't want another Ben Hutton situation again. Not that I believe Juolevi would take the NHL for granted I just want to see him consistently pushing the needle.

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Without some trades, the amount of waiver requiring bodies all but guarantee he at least starts the year in Utica IMO. Even more so if we sign any UFA's.

Personally I think they're going to send OJ down to let Hutton and Pouliot duke it out for that last spot (my money is on DP) and trade whoever they like least (*cough* Hutton) part way through the year (hopefully after at least showing relatively well and raising their value). OJ likely becomes one of the first injury call ups and gets called up 'permanently' after we move MDZ at the TDL.

Yeah, the only way I see him staying with the big club is if he's clearly the best choice or they opt to move a RHD.  At which point Pouliot will shift to RD and Hutton/Juolevi can duke it out.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah, the only way I see him staying with the big club is if he's clearly the best choice or they opt to move a RHD.  At which point Pouliot will shift to RD and Hutton/Juolevi can duke it out.

I don't accept this sending a guy to Utica (like we did to Stecher) because of roster problems.  It's Benning's job to make a spot for a guy who earns it.  If Olli earns a spot on our big club then he should get it.  It's should be that simple.  Every time JB sends a guy (like Stecher) to Utica it sends the wrong message to future players about our team.  "Play your best, and earn a spot, and you will still get sent to the minors (and make a lot less money, ride buses, and the rest of it) while some verteran - who you beat out - gets the perks to stay."  

We can't have any more" You're [Stecher] not supposed to be here" (WD) comments.  The best players should make the team.  JB needs to dump the others.  If that means losing a guy to waivers, so be it. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't accept this sending a guy to Utica (like we did to Stecher) because of roster problems.  It's Benning's job to make a spot for a guy who earns it.  If Olli earns a spot on our big club then he should get it.  It's should be that simple.  Every time JB sends a guy (like Stecher) to Utica it sends the wrong message to future players about our team.  "Play your best, and earn a spot, and you will still get sent to the minors (and make a lot less money, ride buses, and the rest of it) while some verteran - who you beat out - gets the perks to stay."  

We can't have any more" You're [Stecher] not supposed to be here" (WD) comments.  The best players should make the team.  JB needs to dump the others.  If that means losing a guy to waivers, so be it. 

But when do we ever start the year with our top 6 d healthy?  And we usually carry 8 D.  I don't have an issue saying Olli is one of our 8 and plays every second game for the first two weeks.   Someone will get hurt that fast anyway and Olli will take a couple weeks to start to settle in and a couple press box games will give him cerebral perspective.  Yes he needs to play and when everyone is healthy if he isn't truly top 6 he can go down for a few games and get top pair minutes in Utica.  Our D is so injury prone it will not be more than a few games.  

Edited by TGT68
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He made Stecher a spot that's why he stayed up after his call up.  He wanted him to earn it and didn't want to waste or devalue an asset. Stecher has turned out fine.

If I recall right Willie also didn't believe he was ready yet. So the coach likely factored into that decision to delay him.

Edited by Rush17

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He made Stecher a spot that's why he stayed up after his call up.  He wanted him to earn it and didn't want to waste or devalue an asset. Stecher has turned out fine.

If I recall right Willie also didn't believe he was ready yet. So the coach likely factored into that decision to delay him.

I'm pretty sure it took an injury to Tanev for Stecher to get called back up.  Plus, if WD saw Philip Larsen as a better choice than Stecher, he needed to have his eyes checked. :frantic:

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm pretty sure it took an injury to Tanev for Stecher to get called back up.  Plus, if WD saw Philip Larsen as a better choice than Stecher, he needed to have his eyes checked. :frantic:

Lol.  I'm sure there was the management politics too. He probably wanted to keep Jim happy since he just traded for Larsen.  They gave him an opportunity even if it didn't pan out. That adversity was probably good for him tho. I agree he deserved to be on the team and I was upset when he wasn't. I would argue we have better D now tho in all fairness.

• Upvote 1