The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Any defense with Gudbranson on the top pairing isn't formidable.  I like Gudbranson as he fills a role on the team and plays his role fairly well but that role is anchoring a 2nd or 3rd pairing with an offensive defenseman. IMO

Edler and Stecher will be the top pairing

OJ and Tanev might end up being a pairing but if Juolevi makes the team it will be on the 3rd pairing or as a 7th defenseman.  Tanev gets too much valuable ice time against tough opponents to pair him with a rookie.  

I dont know I think Stetcher as our 7th D man

If Hutton takes advise and gets stronger and plays better I just think we have a couple extra D men and could easy trade or grab one UFA so we have a decent D from 1 to 7

2 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

I'm with you on this one. I just wonder who gets traded to make room for Juolevi. If we go with exactly the same people as last year, who does OJ beat out to make the team? I believe OJ will become a good to very good (but not great) Dman; paired with Tanev I think is the way to go. I also think @Ihatetomatoes has it right, it may take half the season before OJ starts "getting it".

Leave that to Travis Greene to sort out?

We were the lowest scoring team from the defence in the league last year. 2knd worst the year before that. We need some puck skills & composure with the biscuit from our defenders. There were worse teams actually defending our end.  But we were not great there either. Point being replacing one of our guys with someone better will be good!

Juolevi promises to offer a lot of what we need. My own guess from what Greene might do is Hutton, next option Biega, will be put through waivers & get sent to Utica. Maybe both if we also sign a UFA?

Or we could start Juolevi, playing him 26 minutes a game, in Utica? And call him up as soon as there is an injury.  Which on average is before the season starts anyway... 

5 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

100%.....  I'm just saying I'd temper expectations about how soon he will be excelling.  Might be this year, but it could very well be the year after or even the year after that.

That is a good approach with all young Dmen.    If you are noticing them too much for something good, chances are you are going notice them for the opposite a few shifts later.   A year or three for a guy to adjust to the NHL on the back end is not only common, it is more than expected.

14 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

OJ and Tanev might end up being a pairing but if Juolevi makes the team it will be on the 3rd pairing or as a 7th defenseman.  

Snowball's chance in hell he starts as 7th D. He needs to PLAY.  He's either in the starting 6 or in Utica IMO (small chance back in Finland).

And given our vast (albeit middling quality) depth at left D, I'd be betting on Utica, at least until we can sort a trade/have multiple injuries. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Snowball's chance in hell he starts as 7th D. He needs to PLAY.  He's either in the starting 6 or in Utica IMO (small chance back in Finland).

And given our vast (albeit middling quality) depth at left D, I'd be betting on Utica, at least until we can sort a trade/have multiple injuries. 

I think there could be a chance he is a 7th D.  I mean rotating in and out of the lineup with Hutton while getting his feet wet in the NHL isn't the worst thing ever.  If no injuries happen within the first couple months giving him a full time spot then ya send him down for more playing time but I could see him being a 7th defenseman that rotated in and out of the lineup every few games for the start of the season.  

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Or we could start Juolevi, playing him 26 minutes a game, in Utica? And call him up as soon as there is an injury.  Which on average is before the season starts anyway... 

Yes, the Stecher treatment.  That's what I predict for opening night if one of Hutton/Pouliot are not traded.  Only way I see him starting up here is if a body moves out. There is no way you cycle 3 LHD in 1 spot well Biega is also sitting.  Juolevi will make the most of it. I suspect he will need a max of one more call down before being ready if he isn't a go at seasons start.

This d core needs some sort of order. To many variables and it's hurting these guys confidence. Adversity can be good but Pouliot seems to lose 70% of his confidence once scratched.

14 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

I'm with you on this one. I just wonder who gets traded to make room for Juolevi. If we go with exactly the same people as last year, who does OJ beat out to make the team? I believe OJ will become a good to very good (but not great) Dman; paired with Tanev I think is the way to go. I also think @Ihatetomatoes has it right, it may take half the season before OJ starts "getting it".

MDZ would be the guy I move. But they have emphasized his leadership qualities are important. It would be surprising to see him move before the TDL given he was just signed last summer. It would poorly on VAN if we sign a guy then deal him less then a year later.  MDZ at the draft makes sense but that only happens if we haven't lost 1/2 our d core next time around lol.  Our #2 left side slot on D is really lacking.  Can Juolevi jump into that role by seasons end? I think so but it will be tough if he spends the first few months in Utica.  I just hope Jim doesn't keep mdz past the draft because of injuries. I can see Nilsson getting moved out for a pick with half his salary retained.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Agree. He needs to play. Zero chance of Finland imo.  We need to get a quality LHD who can swap between 2nd and 3rd pairing. I Guess they are hoping one of Hutton or Pouliot can fill that role.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I think there could be a chance he is a 7th D.  I mean rotating in and out of the lineup with Hutton while getting his feet wet in the NHL isn't the worst thing ever.  If no injuries happen within the first couple months giving him a full time spot then ya send him down for more playing time but I could see him being a 7th defenseman that rotated in and out of the lineup every few games for the start of the season.  

When have you ever seen this (any) management do anything like that? It's not going to happen.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

When have you ever seen this (any) management do anything like that? It's not going to happen.

Especially given the injury problems the Canucks have had over the past 3 seasons. 360, 439 and 302 are the man games lost over those 3 years. It makes no sense to have our young waiver eligible players on the team out of training camp over established NHL'ers. Juolevi, Dahlen and a darkhorse like Gadjovich or MacEwen absolutely should start in the AHL and work their way into the lineup as injuries occur. Stecher is the prime example of a player who likely should have made the team, but got the call due to injury. These things have to play themselves out, but to give up depth to make room for young players with potential doesn't make sense for this team in it's current state.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Especially given the injury problems the Canucks have had over the past 3 seasons. 360, 439 and 302 are the man games lost over those 3 years. It makes no sense to have our young waiver eligible players on the team out of training camp over established NHL'ers. Juolevi, Dahlen and a darkhorse like Gadjovich or MacEwen absolutely should start in the AHL and work their way into the lineup as injuries occur. Stecher is the prime example of a player who likely should have made the team, but got the call due to injury. These things have to play themselves out, but to give up depth to make room for young players with potential doesn't make sense for this team in it's current state.

Sounds good in theory.  However, if you’re a veteran wouldn’t you want the best players in the line-up?  Stecher was clearly our second best Dman coming out of camp his first year.  I wonder what some players felt about Troy getting cut, while worse players stayed?  I think the best players get spots, and JB makes sure there are no more mistakes, like cutting Stecher.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds good in theory.  However, if you’re a veteran wouldn’t you want the best players in the line-up?  Stecher was clearly our second best Dman coming out of camp his first year.  I wonder what some players felt about Troy getting cut, while worse players stayed?  I think the best players get spots, and JB makes sure there are no more mistakes, like cutting Stecher.

It's not a theory if it actually happened 3 years in a row under this management group. They would be stupid to give away depth given the injury trouble that this team has had. There is no need to rush these guys, given that we aren't going to be competing for a playoff spot for another couple seasons.

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

It's not a theory if it actually happened 3 years in a row under this management group. They would be stupid to give away depth given the injury trouble that this team has had. There is no need to rush these guys, given that we aren't going to be competing for a playoff spot for another couple seasons.

It’s not about rushing guys.  It’s about the players who win the spots with their play actually getting them.  If Olli is one of our best 7 D then he stays.  It’s about money for these guys too.  Their NHL salary can be 10 times more.  It sends the wrong message to college UFAs too, who pick teams where they believe they will get a fair shot.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s not about rushing guys.  It’s about the players who win the spots with their play actually getting them.  If Olli is one of our best 7 D then he stays.  It’s about money for these guys too.  Their NHL salary can be 10 times more.  It sends the wrong message to college UFAs too, who pick teams where they believe they will get a fair shot.  

I would expect one of our D-men to get dealt this summer, likely MDZ or Hutton, but if Juolevi isn't in the top 6 out of training camp, there is no good reason for him to be on the team out of training camp.

The message for UFA's and players from college is irrelevant. Every player is dying for a shot at an NHL contract. There aren't any players saying to themselves ' ya but look what Vancouver did with so and so'. That's a myth created by media and fantasy GMs. Have a look at our depth on D and tell me how Joulevi makes the team out of camp...

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

On 01/06/2018 at 5:40 PM, canuckledraggin said:

Having an AHL team full of non-waiver eligible prospects that are readying themselves for the NHL is a luxury that the Canucks haven't had in years.  Let the kids develop together and get 'a taste of the NHL' when they play well. Just like Burr, Edler, Kes, Bieksa, Raymond, Rypien and others did when they were starting out.  It's a good scenario for the players and the big club.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I would expect one of our D-men to get dealt this summer, likely MDZ or Hutton, but if Juolevi isn't in the top 6 out of training camp, there is no good reason for him to be on the team out of training camp.

The message for UFA's and players from college is irrelevant. Every player is dying for a shot at an NHL contract. There aren't any players saying to themselves ' ya but look what Vancouver did with so and so'. That's a myth created by media and fantasy GMs. Have a look at our depth on D and tell me how Joulevi makes the team out of camp...

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

I really don't think it is unfathomable that Olli beats out Hutton or Pouliot in camp. Who knows though...that may just be wishful thinking.  One of those guys (Hutton) may be gone anyway.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm not really feeling OJ at the moment, I think Hutton is much more motivated.

Stecher, Gudbranson, Hutton, Edler, Tanev, MDZ, Pouliot, Biega.

OJ in UTICA barring injuries, first call-up, which will probably be in 2018. 

Hutton is the Dman we should be expecting a lot more from, then EG, DP. 

Edited by Western Red

2 hours ago, Western Red said:

I'm not really feeling OJ at the moment, I think Hutton is much more motivated.

Stecher, Gudbranson, Hutton, Edler, Tanev, Pouliot, Biega.

OJ in UTICA barring injuries, first call-up, which will probably be in 2018. 

Hutton is the Dman we should be expecting a lot more from, then EG, DP. 

From what i watched last year there is only 2 D that warrent a roster spot and that is Elder and Tanev. IMO

• Upvote 1