The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Loui Eriksson [6 year x $6M AAV]

On 01/07/2016 at 1:03 PM, apollo said:

Six years... Oh well I bet JB had no choice. I'll trust his judgement on this 

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! 

Can't go wrong with a swede. Here's to 6 30 goal seasons for Loui =) 

I think from this point on he hits 30 twice and atleast 20 in each of the other 3 years.  

I'd actually like to try him with Horvat and Boeser on the top line.

Eriksson Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Goldobin

Baertschi Sutter Granlund 

Virtanen Gagner Molino

16 hours ago, Hortankin said:

People are crying over this contract but don't realize after this year Sedins will retire or take a discount. Pettersson, Dahlen, Juolevi, and possibly Gaudette will be on their ELC. By the time they are ready for new contract it will be a tradeable 1 year $6M contract.

As tradeable as Vrbata's final year with Vancouver with a $5 Million cap hit? 

Edited by iinatcc

10 hours ago, Hortankin said:

I think from this point on he hits 30 twice and atleast 20 in each of the other 3 years.  

I'd actually like to try him with Horvat and Boeser on the top line.

Eriksson Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Goldobin

Baertschi Sutter Granlund 

Virtanen Gagner Molino

Don't waste offensive players with Sutter. Play him to his strengths as a match up guy.

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Chaput/Gaunce, Sutter, Dorsett

Some mix of Burmistrov, Rodin, Gagner, Boeser etc as an 'offensive' 4th line

I totally see the reasoning of the Eriksson aquisition. Why not. He had chemistry with the twins on the Swedish team and it's only right to assume the same at the NHL level. However, the twins and Eriksson line on the 'Nucks is definitely not the same as said line on a Swedish elite team. That being said...............

I still hold out for Lou to beak out for us. If anything, we still have a great 2 way player in him. 

Keep in mind all three new guys, Sutter, Guddy and Lou haven't really played fully for our team yet cuz of injuries and finding defining roles and such. Give it time. It'll happen.

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

As tradeable as Vrbata's final year with Vancouver with a $5 Million cap hit? 

Depends how he is playing.  Vrbata sure wasn't worth 5M in his last year with us.  Modest rises in the cap can make the dollars about equal, so all it takes is for Loui to be performing better than Vrby was.

Just looking at stats (which isn't enough, but it's a start), Loui last year was arguably "equal" as a disappointment as Vrby was in his last year with us.  Any increase in Loui's production coupled with his better 2-way play would make him easily more tradeable at the TDL, IMO.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, NexusRift said:

I totally see the reasoning of the Eriksson aquisition. Why not. He had chemistry with the twins on the Swedish team and it's only right to assume the same at the NHL level. However, the twins and Eriksson line on the 'Nucks is definitely not the same as said line on a Swedish elite team. That being said...............

I still hold out for Lou to beak out for us. If anything, we still have a great 2 way player in him. 

Keep in mind all three new guys, Sutter, Guddy and Lou haven't really played fully for our team yet cuz of injuries and finding defining roles and such. Give it time. It'll happen.

Fingers crossed, yep.  Just hope Loui's issue is getting used to a new team, and he can be more what was expected from him in at least the next few years.

• Upvote 1

I'll be happy if he can get to 20-25 goals again, and I truly believe he can.  Last year was an anomaly I think.  Plus, his contract won't really be an albatross, since by the time we are competitive again, he will have 1-2 years left and with a potential 85-90M$ cap, I don't think will cause much cap crunching headaches.  Plus don't forget in 2019-20 season, we could be in lockout again...eliminating 1 year of that contract. Also the contract is a little front loaded, which could potentially attract internal cap teams in the latter years of his contract.

Also, if the Sedins leaves after this year, Eriksson could still be a good mentor to Dahlen and Pettersson who probably won't be able to benefit from the Sedin's presence if they leave.

This signing is a failures so far, but I don't think it's too late yet that it is irreversible.  Even if it doesn't get better, I don't think the this contract will hamper us in the future

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

If loui is poppin 25-30 goals next season. Then thrs a good chance our pp has improved and we will prob be fighting for a playoff spot.

Is making the playoffs a good thing?  Considering the direction the team is trying to go, would the Canucks rather eek into the playoffs, or finish bad enough to get a top 5 pick in a stronger draft class?

4 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Is making the playoffs a good thing?  Considering the direction the team is trying to go, would the Canucks rather eek into the playoffs, or finish bad enough to get a top 5 pick in a stronger draft class?

Aslong as we draft well im okay with drafting mid-round while squeezing into the playoffs. I feel like we have a good amount of prospects to develop rightnow. Im prob the only one on this board that thinks were going to over-achieve with our first year head coach and sneak into the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, skolozsy2 said:

Making the playoffs is ALWAYS. a good thing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Aslong as we draft well im okay with drafting mid-round while squeezing into the playoffs. I feel like we have a good amount of prospects to develop rightnow. Im prob the only one on this board that thinks were going to over-achieve with our first year head coach and sneak into the playoffs.

Sounds reasonable.   I was just curious what the consensus of Canucks fans was as to where they want the team to finish.  Its getting more and more difficult to determine whether your team should be in a full rebuild, or whether they should be still taking runs at the Cup.

Tanking for a higher pick hasn't really done much for us. Making the playoffs is always a good thing. Even if we just missed the playoffs, things wouldn't look worse.

2014 - 13th: Vrana 14th: Honka 15th: Larkin. Doubt we could trade Virtanen straight-up for any of those three. 

2016 - Chychrun dropped to 16th. I consider him pretty much on par with Juolevi. 

2017 - Suzuki, Liljegren, Villardi, Foote all going between 11-17th. Any of those players I would be excited about. 

Our best prospect (Boeser) was from a draft after we made the playoffs. 

The only thing we have gained from sucking is Goldobin and Dahlen at the TDL. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

I think making the playoffs with this core would be a really good things, unlike when did made the playoffs in WD's first year.  That years, we made the playoffs with a veteran team, Sedins, Vrbata, Bonino (still young, but lot of experience), Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Matthias, Dorsett, Richardson, Tanev, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis.

If we make the playoffs now, with Horvat, Grandlund, Baerstchi, Stetcher, Guddy  and a few of Virtanen, Dahlen, Goldobin, Boeser, Juolevi, etc.....well it means that our young core is progressing well....which is a good things and that the rebuild is ahead of time.  No way, will the Sedins alone will bring us back to the playoffs, even if they go back to 60 pts. 

My expectations for this year is that the kids are productive and are progressing.  I hope they can all break out offensively and that we play an exciting style of play.  Even if we give up a lot of goals (which I believe will be our undoing this year and miss the playoffs), I hope we score a lot of goals too, because we can always shore up the defense at a later stage, much easier than teaching how to score goals.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-07-12 at 8:02 PM, Me_ said:

Making the playoffs is ALWAYS. a good thing.

I don't disagree. However, there is a big difference between making the Stanley Cup your ultimate goal and making the playoffs your ultimate goal. 

Doing everything you can to make the playoffs almost never turns out benifical. See what Montreal is doing. That's the counterproductive madness I'm referring to. 

Edited by Burnt Gravy

1 hour ago, Burnt Gravy said:

I don't disagree. However, there is a big difference between making the Stanley Cup your ultimate goal and making the playoffs your ultimate goal. 

Doing everything you can to make the playoffs almost never turns out benifical. See what Montreal is doing. That's the counterproductive madness I'm referring to. 

I don't think Montreal has making the playoffs as their ultimate goal.

I think what you're seeing in Montreal is an intent and attempt to contend - while they have one of the world's best goaltenders in his prime - however, perhaps Bergevin just isn't a very good GM.  I didn't mind the Weber/Subban deal considering the state they were in - but since then, subtract Sergachev and Beaulieu, subtract Radulov, add a me-first Drouin (another small winger) - Alzner is a nice replacement for Emelin - but really. looks like a franchise taking multiple steps backwards.  Who knows - they may be good this year - you never know - but I don't really like their recent moves - and it's unclear if Markov is going to return either.

That said however, I doubt their ultimate goal (or any team's) is to squeak into the playoffs.