The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Eriksson gets his $3M signing bonus. :mad:

You make it sound like there's a choice in whether he gets paid.  It's not a performance bonus but part of his salary (if I'm wrong someone call me out).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

You make it sound like there's a choice in whether he gets paid.  It's not a performance bonus but part of his salary (if I'm wrong someone call me out).

You're correct. Furthermore, whether or not the bonus was paid out affects only the Acquillini family's funds, not our cap which is definitely our restriction. Eriksson being paid means nothing in regards to our cap situation.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Exactly how did I make it sound like that??

There was a chance that the JUly 1st date was going to be postponed 3 months in talks with the NHLPA,

giving the Canucks more time to perhaps move Louii and his boat anchor contract 

Unfortunately it was rejectedIt was rejected

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Exactly how did I make it sound like that??

There was a chance that the JUly 1st date was going to be postponed 3 months in talks with the NHLPA,

giving the Canucks more time to perhaps move Louii and his boat anchor contract 

Unfortunately it was rejectedIt was rejected

The sooner that bonus is paid out, the sooner he could potentially be moved (more enticing for teams to pay less of his contract) or at least consider his future (5 million salary left over two years). Postponing it does nothing for us and he is getting that bonus regardless. With the market now, there may be more teams that want to artificially eat up the cap while paying less salary and now LE fits in that category of player.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The sooner that bonus is paid out, the sooner he could potentially be moved (more enticing for teams to pay less of his contract) or at least consider his future (5 million salary left over two years). Postponing it does nothing for us and he is getting that bonus regardless. With the market now, there may be more teams that want to artificially eat up the cap while paying less salary and now LE fits in that category of player.

Why would a team want to block that much cap space though? And for 2 years when they have their own RFAs to extend.  It limits their flexibility.  Reaching the floor shouldn't be an issue for any team.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Why would a team want to block that much cap space though? And for 2 years when they have their own RFAs to extend.  It limits their flexibility.  Reaching the floor shouldn't be an issue for any team.

Well like I said, it's to artificially raise their cap while paying less salary. We will see how the market affects teams. I'm not saying it's a certainty that it will happen, but it's a much better possibility than before his bonus being paid out.  I was replying to a poster suggesting that he was hoping the bonus payout would be delayed to give us more time to move him, but I'm saying it's easier to potentially move him (or have him consider his future) now that the bonus is paid out.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

You're correct. Furthermore, whether or not the bonus was paid out affects only the Acquillini family's funds, not our cap which is definitely our restriction. Eriksson being paid means nothing in regards to our cap situation.

i don’t understand that. louie’s cap hit is 6 mil a year. signing bonuses still count against the cap. otherwise his cap hit would only be 4 mil over the final 2 years of his deal. did i miss something along the way? 

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i don’t understand that. louie’s cap hit is 6 mil a year. signing bonuses still count against the cap. otherwise his cap hit would only be 4 mil over the final 2 years of his deal. did i miss something along the way? 

That's his AVERAGE annual value (AAV) since his cap hit was front loaded ($8 million per in first 2 seasons).
image.thumb.png.57737da035076847375b6f3f563251ed.png

Edited by Phil_314

2 hours ago, mll said:

any idea what the cap floor is right now? 

the Devils have the lowest cap at 72,72....

On 6/21/2020 at 3:40 PM, wexcar said:

4mil signing bonus and 4mil salary, say for instance a 20% escrow is agreed and I believe the bonus is not subject to escrow. That leaves remaining income at 7.2mil and after taxes that probably lowers to roughly 4.2mil.

If he takes the 3m bonus this off season and retires he might walk away with 1.6mil after tax.

So by retiring he is probably leaving roughly 2.5mil on the table.

Considering his career earnings to date and the impact of COVID-19 it's not inconceivable that he may look at things and decide that it's time to retire after taking the bonus this off season.

Obviously these are rough figures to illustrate my point but when talking about him not retiring because he will be walking away from 8mil or 5mil after the bonus is paid is not the complete story, you need to factor in escrow and taxes before really seeing what he may be walking away from......

You’re incorrect. Signing bonuses ARE subject to escrow. The advantage of signing bonuses to players are they aren’t included in buyout calculations and are paid regardless of a work stoppage 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

60.2M.

so, no one is even near the cap floor

makes the cap floor argument  kind of moot.

Ottawa would need to shed something like $15Mil to make Loui's contract desirable

so much 'pie in the sky'  when talk turns to getting out of Loui's contract

Edited by lmm

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

so, no one is even near the cap floor

makes the cap floor argument  kind of moot.

Ottawa would need to shed something like $15Mil to make Loui's contract desirable

so much 'pie in the sky'  when talk turns to getting out of Loui's contract

Ottawa only has $41m committed  to players for next season. That said, they only have 9 players under contract. They shouldn’t have any problem hitting the cap floor by simply filling out their roster.  But I guess there’s a small chance that if they do need a higher dollar contract they could look at Eriksson.  I seriously doubt it.  But it’s possible. Lol 

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Ottawa only has $41m committed  to players for next season. That said, they only have 9 players under contract. They shouldn’t have any problem hitting the cap floor by simply filling out their roster.  But I guess there’s a small chance that if they do need a higher dollar contract they could look at Eriksson.  I seriously doubt it.  But it’s possible. Lol 

14 players X $1.5 mil pretty well covers the cap floor