The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

7 hours ago, lmm said:

14 players X $1.5 mil pretty well covers the cap floor

They could pay that 21 million out or they could pay 17.5 million and still get to that same floor with LE's contract and thus save money for a team that doesn't draw crowds even prior to the pandemic. Not saying this will happen, but that's the incentive.

Even if this becomes moot, whether he gets paid his bonus now or have it deferred is moot as well. But with it paid out, we can at least explore this option and LE could explore the idea on if he's ready to retire (especially if we choose to waive him). Getting this bonus paid out starts the next chapter in this tale of Eriksson.

• Huggy Bear 1

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I was curious about something. I seen on Twitter from TSN radio that there was a discussion about the worst free agent signings in this club's history. Where I got curious was, some people were actively defending the Messier signing and some even went as far as to say the Eriksson signing is WAY worse than the Messier one. I was just curious how people think of the Eriksson signing in comparison to the Messier one. I wasn't even watching hockey when Messier was here, but hearing what he did just makes me furious. Lol. Do y'all think Eriksson is a worse signing than Messier? Do you think they are even comparable?

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I was curious about something. I seen on Twitter from TSN radio that there was a discussion about the worst free agent signings in this club's history. Where I got curious was, some people were actively defending the Messier signing and some even went as far as to say the Eriksson signing is WAY worse than the Messier one. I was just curious how people think of the Eriksson signing in comparison to the Messier one. I wasn't even watching hockey when Messier was here, but hearing what he did just makes me furious. Lol. Do y'all think Eriksson is a worse signing than Messier? Do you think they are even comparable?

Messier has to be the worst signing the Canucks ever did.  Ericksson, did not come here to hurt the team like Messier did. there have been times when Ericksson has helped the team out, never with Messier. sorry but he was a puke !!!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The Messier signing was by far the worst not just because of his stats (which weren’t bad for a 37 year old) but because of the pathetic attempt to transplant a culture into the team that wasn’t there.

They thought they could simply transplant leadership from a washed up Messier into the team and cast Linden aside. Obviously it failed miserably to no ones surprise.

The Eriksson signing is obviously up there based on salary vs stats, but at least I could see what they were doing with that signing. They were trying to give the Sedins one las go at it, and unfortunately their time was up and Eriksson just wasn’t a fit. Now we’re stuck with an anchor. But at least we didn’t do it at the cost of alienating one of our all time greats. And with a player this market hated no less. It felt like Keenan had no desire to succeed here rather rub in our loss to the Rangers one last time while destroying our team.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

We could resign Eriksson to another 6x$6m deal and the Messier deal would still win out

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

There is an interesting story in the daily hive about possible trades for Eriksson.

The premise of all of them is that there are teams with bad contracts who are not cap spending teams who could be interested in swapping out their player with a lower cap hit but greater real dollars owed for Eriksson to save money.

Creative thinking that we haven’t seen much of... assume that small bits go either way in addition to these two players to even things out a little.

1. Alzner.  Actually owed the same in real dollars over the next two years as Erikssom but has a $1.37 million lower cap hit.  Montreal could do this because they would actually get a player for their roster (albeit a depth PK guy) in return for a guy that is in the AHL.  Julian also has a relationship with Eriksson.

2.  Victor Rask.  $2 million less cap hit but $3 million more expensive in real dollars than Eriksson over the term of their contracts.

3.  Colin Miller.  Disappointment in Buffalo, less expensive to cap, but more expensive in real dollars.  

4.  Frans Neilson.  $750k in cap savings but Detroit doesn’t care about adding cap.  Detroit saves $500k in real dollars 

All interesting ideas, I think cap space will be at such a premium that these teams with cap space can extract more value than those swaps.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

1. Alzner.  Actually owed the same in real dollars over the next two years as Erikssom but has a $1.37 million lower cap hit.  Montreal could do this because they would actually get a player for their roster (albeit a depth PK guy) in return for a guy that is in the AHL.  Julian also has a relationship with Eriksson.

Not that hard to get a depth winger @ $1.37 million or less.  Plus you wouldn't be tied to the player for beyond one year if you gave said player a one year deal (who gives multi-year deals to depth players?).

I would favor getting Colin Miller out of those 4.  The Canucks would be getting $2.125 million in cap relief while Buffalo would get $2.75 million in real dollars savings over 2 seasons.  He also plays RD at 27 yrs of age and you would be buying low on him right now. But, I'm not sure the Sabres would go along with that deal.

57 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

I would favor getting Colin Miller out of those 4.  The Canucks would be getting $2.125 million in cap relief while Buffalo would get $2.75 million in real dollars savings over 2 seasons.  He also plays RD at 27 yrs of age and you would be buying low on him right now. But, I'm not sure the Sabres would go along with that deal.

I would do any of them, but that is absolutely the best deal for us, probably requires a little add on our end for that one... but nothing like what we would have to pay to get rid of Eriksson outright.

Buffalo has only 5 forwards signed for next season and will find it almost impossible to attract free agents they are going to have to use their cap space to entirely reshape their roster (thank goodness).  

I would say if they plan on moving Risto for a top 6 forward, and do the above cap dump swap with us, they will need another RD to go along with Jokiharju and Montour.... Stecher could be nice little add going their way in that trade with maybe something else minor.

The hiccup is whether Eriksson with his NTC would rather sit at home or Utica rather than a chance in Buffalo where he gets a reasonable opportunity to even get a chance in their top 6 initially, and would certainly at least be on the roster in their bottom 6.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not that hard to get a depth winger @ $1.37 million or less.  Plus you wouldn't be tied to the player for beyond one year if you gave said player a one year deal (who gives multi-year deals to depth players?).

Eriksson isn't good... but at $1.37 million he is a good value, better than what you would get on the open market for that price.  Two years isn't a long term and actually gives them a guy eligible to be exposed at forward in the expansion draft ).  They need to expose two forwards who are under contract and have played at least 70 games in the prior two seasons (they currently only have two forwards signed for that long and won't want to be losing any good players they sign for the upcoming season).  Eriksson is already at 49 games so will make that threshold by playing a little in Montreal. 

Some of the guys they sign for depth is going to be 2 year term minimum to fulfill that requirement... they literally HAVE to sign some guys like that or risk losing a player like Drouin who they would otherwise need to expose to fulfil the minimum requirements.

I would do the Miller trade for sure. No, he hasn't played well this season but not many have in Buffalo. I feel he has the potential of regaining some form that helped him score well in Vegas, whereas LE is clearly never to be a useful player for us.

9 hours ago, Provost said:

I would do any of them, but that is absolutely the best deal for us, probably requires a little add on our end for that one... but nothing like what we would have to pay to get rid of Eriksson outright.

Buffalo has only 5 forwards signed for next season and will find it almost impossible to attract free agents they are going to have to use their cap space to entirely reshape their roster (thank goodness).  

I would say if they plan on moving Risto for a top 6 forward, and do the above cap dump swap with us, they will need another RD to go along with Jokiharju and Montour.... Stecher could be nice little add going their way in that trade with maybe something else minor.

The hiccup is whether Eriksson with his NTC would rather sit at home or Utica rather than a chance in Buffalo where he gets a reasonable opportunity to even get a chance in their top 6 initially, and would certainly at least be on the roster in their bottom 6.

Seems like Buffalo could find a better deal.  They lose 3.875M in cap space and add some 8.5M with Eriksson/Stecher who aren't difference makers.  That's a 4.5M difference or so that they could use to add a better player even if they keep Miller.  They also already have Okposo.  

Bergevin is allowed to spend to the cap.  Don't see him wanting to add a declining veteran. They also have players to extend in a year and need the added cap space.  Alzner has apparently been very good with their prospects in Laval.  He's a cheaper cap hit to bury and his buyout cap hit is also lower. Don't see the expansion requirements as sufficient of an issue.  

A Rask buyout has been mentioned by Russo for a while now - only a 1.3M cap hit which is manageable.  They have no use for Eriksson and also need the cap space with key players needing contracts in a year.

It feels rather unlikely that Vancouver will be able to come up with more cap space in an Eriksson trade unless they add significant assets.  Even then I am not sure any team would have interest because of that extra year.

Edited by mll

Man do I hope this guy is ready to retire before next season. But why would he give up all that easy money? There might not even be a farm team playing next season that we can threaten to put him on.

3 hours ago, Slegr said:

Man do I hope this guy is ready to retire before next season. But why would he give up all that easy money? There might not even be a farm team playing next season that we can threaten to put him on.

If they agree to end the contract (not actually retire) he can sign elsewhere for a fresh start and maybe be somewhere he isn't hated and still play. It isn't like there is a lot more real money to be had in staying once he signs his bonus. That is IF he even has the desire to play. Not certain he does, based on how he played for us.

I was rooting for Loui. I thought for sure there was no way he went from a top 6 guy to a 4th line guy in one offseason. I was clearly wrong. The only explanation I have is he did it all for the big, last contract. Once pen met paper, the deal was done.

On 7/13/2020 at 10:08 PM, kloubek said:

If they agree to end the contract (not actually retire) he can sign elsewhere for a fresh start and maybe be somewhere he isn't hated and still play. It isn't like there is a lot more real money to be had in staying once he signs his bonus. That is IF he even has the desire to play. Not certain he does, based on how he played for us.

I was rooting for Loui. I thought for sure there was no way he went from a top 6 guy to a 4th line guy in one offseason. I was clearly wrong. The only explanation I have is he did it all for the big, last contract. Once pen met paper, the deal was done.

inspirational andy samberg GIF

• Haha 1