The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

next move by linden and benning

hockeygod77

9 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

Sopel was a gamer...I remember that he never fared well in scrums -- he was always the guy getting pushed around and was the guy picking himself off the ice, but he stood up for himself and his teammates.  He took way more than he gave (evidenced through his PIM).  He had good wheels, was pretty good offensively, and was decent on the defensive side.  That's the Sopel I remember.  

but he always getting pushed around because he played an aggressive style haha. agreed tho, that is the sopel i remember too. but for example last year, before tryamkin, and now gubranson (and excluding Pedan since he barely played), if Sopel was on the nucks I would have said he is the most physical dman we have - with Sbisa not far behind. of course this year that would be a different story

5 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

but he always getting pushed around because he played an aggressive style haha. agreed tho, that is the sopel i remember too. but for example last year, before tryamkin, and now gubranson (and excluding Pedan since he barely played), if Sopel was on the nucks I would have said he is the most physical dman we have - with Sbisa not far behind. of course this year that would be a different story

Can't dispute that...Sopel was seldom the aggressor or initiator...I remember him being the recipient of other team's aggression.  I liked him as a Canuck...even when he was getting beaten up, he'd get off the mat and go back for more.  But that hair...he never found a bottle of shampoo that he liked.

16 minutes ago, hockeygod77 said:

you culls get the wrong idea..i understand fighting is on way out...gretzky even thinks so but as he knows it aint going..you think the other teams are not going to finish the top canuck players with high  hits that could lead to out of line up for days weeks..if i playing the canucks yu get into that style of game and its game over..yu need that guy..why do you think oilers have kasian and lucic ..causethey have macdavid and hopkins.imnot saying a goon that just fights..im saying linden should sign a guy that has respect...very hard to find but there're players blooming into that on other teams...thats why I'm on here not doing lindens job....you  look at good teams they have that factor.....with the canucks they only way they can win is to make them pay on power play....but if they don't their players soft ones will get smashed

Lucic is a 7 million dollar player.  That's my point exactly.  Kassian is basically a liability.

All the goons playing in the AHL or Europe ears would perk up if this was true.  The league is progressing towards rolling 4 lines with players that can play the game - ie the enforcer is almost extinct at this point.  A lot of teams are like us, with no true goon in their line-up.  Neil from Ottawa would be a nice fit, Tom Wilson in Washington too.  With Guddy around players will think twice before doing anything stupid - he's a pretty good fighter.  Try too and look out if he gets a good one in - lights out.  Dorsett has a heart of a lion, I agree that he shouldn't be the guy all the time, he punches above his weight class almost every time he drops the gloves, and I for one, am happy the team has some other options.  As for Scott,  I would consider him, but only if Benning can't get the player he is looking for (a guy who can score and has grit).  

1 hour ago, HK Phooey said:

"Brett Sopel - not a fighter but a big guy". ????????  Last time I checked, 6'1" 200 lbs. is below average for a d-man.  Is today and was when Sopel played.

6'2 and 220 lbs according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Sopel

Even if he is 6'1 and 200lbs, I never felt that he was a small player. Maybe my standards have changed after watching the Canucks' small D for the last few years.

2 hours ago, bushdog said:

things will change a lot when dallas finally gives us roussel and a big pick or 2 for tanev.  he's a bulldog like dorsett, willing to take on anyone.  10-15 goals...that trade would change the dynamics of the team and really put some Clarity on the quality of the guys looking for line-3 lw jobs.  the downside of course is that we lose a dominant defensive player.  but so what?  we're looking to become an Attacking team, not new jersey!  the contracts are similar in the short-term, but tanev will be pricey next time around.  dallas is in a lot of trouble defensively and has to make a move.  they have lots of cap space too.  interesting to see if they'll bite...

would you?

Not in a million years.  Maybe Lucic for Tanev...and if EDM retains 3mill a year.

42 minutes ago, khay said:

6'2 and 220 lbs according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Sopel

Even if he is 6'1 and 200lbs, I never felt that he was a small player. Maybe my standards have changed after watching the Canucks' small D for the last few years.

Sopel didn't fight hardly ever. I think the CDC is thinking of Dana Murzyn, he fought often and very poorly. 

4 hours ago, khay said:

Yeah, I think team toughness is still a bit lacking. If we can be as tough as early 2000, WCE era Canucks, we would be good to go.

Brashear

Bertuzzi

May

Jovo

Ohlund (dropped gloves from time to time and was tough although not the best fighter)

Murray

Cloutier

Cooke (cheap I know but players didn't want to mess around because of his cheapness)

Ruutu (no fighter but gritty and dirty)

Sopel (not a figher but a big guy, hard to push around)

Klatt (grit)

Allen

I guess with the way the NHL is now, we don't have a spot for an enforcer like Brashear. So I guess NO to John Scott. We need a gritty forward with a bit or a nastiness or a bit of dirtiness like Ruutu or a less cheap version of Cooke. We don't have one at the moment:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Etem

Rodin-Sutter-Hansen

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

Burrows

I like all of the players above but we have way too many nice guys.

3 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

"Brett Sopel - not a fighter but a big guy". ????????  Last time I checked, 6'1" 200 lbs. is below average for a d-man.  Is today and was when Sopel played.

Maybe khay was thinking of Jason Strudwick? 6' 230lbs over 800 pm?

3 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

6 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

you have great core of skill players..as far as the back end it looks like a good mix with a few of them needing to tough up a bit...the forwards look ok but linden needs to sign a player like scott the all star goon...if anyone take liberties on the young guns they need more than dorsett to do it all...its out of hockey they say but fighting intimidation and getting pushed around is always present in anything you do in life..just in many ways...you need the gritty and you need the policeman to make sure they don't take cheap shots on canuck stars..seen it too many times and all I'm saying that role player is hard find...

Desi! Welcome back! This place has been so boring the last couple of weeks.

What about Sestito? Should we trade for him hockegod77?

2 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

Can't dispute that...Sopel was seldom the aggressor or initiator...I remember him being the recipient of other team's aggression.  I liked him as a Canuck...even when he was getting beaten up, he'd get off the mat and go back for more.  But that hair...he never found a bottle of shampoo that he liked.

One of the only things I remember of Sopel aside from being a serviceable, yet mediocre, defenseman during his two stints here was that he had one UGLY mug. Second ugliest in the NHL behind Mike Ricci at the time.

you know, one of those faces you want to hit. I think that is why he spent most of his time on the receiving end of physical confrontations. 

I'd love to see John Scott fight Zdeno Chara.

Canucks have toughness (Virtanen, Gudbranson, Dorsett, Tryamkin). We need someone who can score JB got Eriksson, which was a good move IMO. But still need a 2LW. Canucks need goals, now that they can defend.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'd love to see John Scott fight Zdeno Chara.

Canucks have toughness (Virtanen, Gudbranson, Dorsett, Tryamkin). We need someone who can score JB got Eriksson, which was a good move IMO. But still need a 2LW. Canucks need goals, now that they can defend.

Pedan is tough too, and Sbisa isn't bad. 

7 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Yeah, but he was wearing a B jersey (which is like wearing a shirt that says "I'm a f***ing c**t... please hit me!"), so he deserved it. Scott should've been the captain after that.

Man, I can't wait for hockey season so I don't have to read threads full of people and their delusions of grandeur.

This team is already on the right track to get tougher and faster. I know on a Canuck forum this might be tough, but stop overanalyizing what we've got. We're in the waiting game part of this rebuild/reboot. Another season out when Boesner goes pro, another season after that when Demko comes up on a regular basis, this team will be to a level where they can compete. The pieces are all there, now we've just gotta glue them together and wait for it to cure.

I hope the Canucks still consider signing Sam Gagner - plug him into 2nd line RW and also seek a trade for Evander Kane - plug him into 2nd line LW.  You need a playmakerr on each line and if Baertschi is not going on 2nd then who would be Sutter's playmaker?  Sign Gagner for a year at $2 mill with bonus if exceeds 45 points.  He would then determine his own fate if he is plugged into second line with some decent talent.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson (Twins are playmakers on this line)

E.Kane-Sutter-Gagner (Gagner - playmaker)

Baertschi-Horbat-Hansen (Baertschi - playmaker)

Burrows-Granlund-Dorsett (Granlund - playmaker)

Etem

Virtanen

Rodin

Gaunce

Not sure how the Kane trade would look but this could be the lineup.  Also this trade may not happen until later in season, but this lineup looks pretty darn good.  If this Kane trade does not pan out, they can still move Eriksson on the 2nd line for that support with Sutter and Gagner.  I will predict Gagner will be signed by middle of August, if not sooner.  Quote me on this.  forrealsies lol

Archived