The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kucherov holding out until signed

my guess is stevie y is telling him the same thing he told stamkos

my offer given the state's tax free status has the same net value to you as a higher contract deal with another team

where you'll just end up paying a bigger piece in taxes

tampa has a good team with a viable shot at the cup the next few years

he is probably telling the players he needs cap room to keep the team at an elite level

there is also a bit of a home discount demand likely being paid as well

i was surprised when stamkos caved

i am not surprised that as a result stevie is taking the same approach with other players

26 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

my offer given the state's tax free status has the same net value to you as a higher contract deal with another team

he is probably telling the players he needs cap room to keep the team at an elite level

i am not surprised that as a result stevie is taking the same approach with other players

I don't think Stamkos "caved", he just didn't care about leaving a competitive team for another million, two million, or whatever bucks per year to play in say... Toronto, a city with a crap hockey team. Tampa should easily be competing for a deep playoff run again.

Make sense to me. I'm curious what Yzerman does about Kuch here. First Drouin, now...

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is he in a position to do a Nukushkin?

I don't think so Nichushkin had the sense of entitlement and didn't want to work his way up. He wasn't producing on a consistent rate. Kucherov went to the minors earned a call up and has continued to impress. Also put up back to back 60+ point seasons at 21 and 22 years old. Kucherov wants a well deserved payday and Tampa doesn't have much cap space.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Russian factor. 

5'11" 175 didn't do him any favours either, but yeah the KHL was in NHL takeover mode for a few years there and he was drafted in the middle or at the end of it. Russian players will always have that "what if" surrounding them, and it always seems to make a few teams hesitate each year. Dallas wasn't one of them though -_-

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

IIRC Tampa has about $5.5 million.

Why not just offer sheet him for $5.75 or $6.2 million just to see them squirm

Because Kucherov has to actually accept the contract. And I'm not sure he'd take a long term deal at that number, So I mean if you offer sheet him you have to pay 6.5+. Also they'd just waive someone before they actually let him go, since the difference between his cap hit and their available space would be closer than the current gap.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is he in a position to do a Nukushkin?

Kucherov can actually play top 6, Nichushkin probably couldn't but wanted it anyway. And likely knew he wasn't gonna meaningful money like he would back home in Russia. Kucherov will get top dollar and minutes any where in the league. Tampa is in a really good spot though. 

10 hours ago, Green Building said:

I don't think Stamkos "caved", he just didn't care about leaving a competitive team for another million, two million, or whatever bucks per year to play in say... Toronto, a city with a crap hockey team. Tampa should easily be competing for a deep playoff run again.

Make sense to me. I'm curious what Yzerman does about Kuch here. First Drouin, now...

Yzerman always seems to get things done, the guy can play hardball with every agent out there and keep the players in house. Drouin looks like a happy camper after all that went on as well as Stamkos. Even after all the posturing the players just want to play for him and nobody else. He had a problem with MSL but got a great return for a guy who did nothing after he left Tampa and is out of the game now.

Kucherov, may be the first casualty in the Stamkos signing (even at a home town discount).  Bishop is all but gone but not until after the season is done, and only because of who's in the pipeline and their cap issues.  Stevie Y is in Stan Bowman territory now, the vultures will surely be circling to pick one or two of  Palat, Johnson, Kucherov, and Drouin at some point, for cheap picks and prospects to manage his cap issues.  Bishop may be traded early to help with this.....but somebody is gotta go.  

16 hours ago, canuktravella said:

no way in hell  tryamkin is a odd man out  hes our future chara  not happening i think our fans underrate  his potential benning found a gem in this kid 

We will have to wait n see this season.. think about it my dude we got Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Hutton, the sixth defensemen is a throw up at this point if Stecher keeps playing the way he does I can see him playing well with Sbisa.

So then where does Tryamkin, Pedan, Larsena and long shot but possibly Biega fit in?

I would package Tryamkin a few other players maybe even Subban some picks for Kucherov any day PLAYOFF performer is something we need something the canucks have always lacked.

Fans may underrate Tryamkin but I think people also underrate Sbisa he got injured alot but he knows how to throw his weight if he avoids fighting we will be fine thats what we got in Guddy theres a reason Sbisa got picked for Team Europe they like what he brings to the table and not because it was hard to find Dmen

14 hours ago, coastal.view said:

They made him meet the CEO of Canadian Tire in Toronto and I think he started to clue in that things might always be all out of proportion there.

7 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Hmmm, I wonder what Yzerman would've thought of a GM that had him enter pre-season without a contract while he was a player?

Don't think he would come to that point when he was a player because he would've taken a cheaper deal to stay in Detroit, despite the salary cap not being in place until his career was pretty much over.

Archived