The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

{Discussion} Griffin Reinhart for Cheap??

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It'll be interesting to see how Sam develops, but the other Reinhart's seem to have "failure to launch" syndrome at the NHL level.  Perhaps they peak to young?

I wouldn't say that about Sam; 23 goals in his first NHL season.  Max was a 3rd rounder, so it wasn't likely he would light it up.

Being a 4th overall definitely puts Griffin in 'bust' territory.

Maybe trade a Canuck player that is struggling (Cederholm?) for him.  Green might find a way to help him in Utica.  Get the 'skating coach' working with him. lol

Apparently Trader Jim's nephew has been a pleasant surprise, while his game just might not be cut for the modern game (hence the Isles trading him?)
Anyways, it's not really all that surprising given how the age of the mammoth but slow defenseman has passed.  What's more surprising just might be why the Oil gave two high picks to get a prospect, while we rip Benning for giving McCann and a 2nd for Gudbranson who's an established 20+ minute guy.  #digress

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/griffin-reinhart-cant-get-over-hump-gets-cut-by-oilers

As one veteran pro scout said of Reinhart: “he’s got talent but maybe his feet are just too slow for today’s fast game.”

“Griffin has to improve his game in every area to be a National Hockey Leaguer,” said head man Todd McLellan. “He has to get stronger, his (defensive) reads. He has to get down into the American League and understand that because he’s got work to do to get back here.”

“I put a lot of work in in the off-season,” he said. “My strength, lots of power-skating. be more aggressive, play with more urgency, closing on people.”

But, he didn’t show McLellan enough.

“Unfortunately training camp is short and you have to expose your skills and talent quickly and in our opinion, there were others here to beat him and knocked him down.”

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I wouldn't say that about Sam; 23 goals in his first NHL season.  Max was a 3rd rounder, so it wasn't likely he would light it up.

Being a 4th overall definitely puts Griffin in 'bust' territory.

Maybe trade a Canuck player that is struggling (Cederholm?) for him.  Green might find a way to help him in Utica.  Get the 'skating coach' working with him. lol

I agree, I wasn't willing to put Sam in that category yet.  His first year was promising for sure.  We'll see how he goes from there.

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But I'd have taken a flyer on him had he been free.  Wasn't sure if he was still property or not.  Shame too because I think he's got that thing CDC loves so much

Potential

So did Schroeder and Hodgson.

37 minutes ago, 6string said:

If he can't make Edmonton's back end then I'd say put a fork in him he's done.

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Is that from lack of skill or lack of desire?

Either way (or both), why would we want that?  If he cannot make the Oilers' roster, what possible use do we have for him?  Would be nothing but a waste of a contract and the asset to acquire him.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So did Schroeder and Hodgson.

Ya but that doesn't count cause they were our prospects.

It's only every one else's prospects that have potential worth everything we can offer.  That's the CDC baby

I think the Oilers are giving up too early on him, considering their current (lack of) depth at D. He only has 37 NHL games experience, but also only 22

The issue is the Canucks have quite a few LHD, and he'd have difficulty cracking a spot:

Edler

Hutton

Sbisa

Tryamkin

Pedan

Juolevi

Brisebois

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

OK, going to make this as simple as possible

22 years old.  6 foot 4.5 inches tall.  221 pounds.  Former 4th overall pick that was misused in New York then shuttled off to Edmonton where young players go to die.

He is a North Van boy who can actually skate VERY well and while not stand out amazing at any 1 point on defense was showing as a junior to be solid all around thus justifying his 4th overall status.

He is or should be cheap, he is local...should Benning try to pick him up?  Maybe see if we can entice his brothers over later as well with a home and bloodlines offer?

Edit** Wasn't aware he was still Oilers property (poor kid) edited title and thread for content

Yes if he wasn't Oilers property. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Is that from lack of skill or lack of desire?

I really don't enough about him other than his hockey lineage, I would be better off discussing our group here and in Utica as to who can take a regular shift in the NHL.

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

you do understand that an NHL club has a maximum of 50 contracts allowed at any time. Very simply it means that if we take on the contract of this player then we have to give up another player from the organization. Is he free? Sure. Is he worth more than his cost? Very doubtful. But then propose what contract you would let go of or this is a meaningless choice.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm familiar with every player we have under contract, but it would shock me if we didn't have somebody under contract with less upside than Reinhart.

Archived