The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Draftists/TankNation Only: What's a Realistic Well-Thought Out Plan for Next Few Years?

westvandude

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

yeah, totally forgot Gaudette.........sorry for the book, Lockwood got lost in the pages, but I had him on the second to last page/line.

I think moving Horvat would be a huge mistake. He will break the 20 goal mark this year. He works every year at getting better. At one point we all wondered about his speed and now he is one of the quicker players we have. I see him as a permanent fixture for years to come. 6' 220"  hard to replace

We will probably not see major changes but rather a slow metamorphoses. 

22 minutes ago, nickels said:

Building thru the draft alone  is going to be a tough go ..  DimJim needs to be on the constant look out for elite offensive talent that may become available. 

If a Seguin, Hall, Thorton etc r on the market we must be  all in on the bidding..

This summer will put some teams in awkward positions with the expansion draft and stagnate salary cap.

We still must get lucky with some draft picks and accumulating them should be a priority.

Our 2 years of bottom feeding netted us Virtanen and Juolevi.  Hardly the start of a Stanley Cup core.

We have a serious shortage of offensively talented players(prob worst in the league), and must make every effort to rectify it.

If Landeskog was truly available this summer for Tanev plus...we have to make that kind of trade.

It is a lot easier to develop or get lucky drafting a good d or 2 way player than it is a game breaker.

Our 2017 1st round pick will not become a factor in the league for at least 3-4 years...

DimJim? Really? :picard:

Some nerd on 'spectors trade rumors' drops at least 5 DimJims a day. That's not you is it? 

I'm not a fan of tanking. The Canucks aren't trying to be bad, we just are suffering from

a real lack of depth. They're tanking the old-fashioned way.

I expect us to be in the bottom 6 or 7 this year, and at least for the next 3 seasons after this one. 

Horvat is our oldest prospect. He'll be our Ladd in 4 or 5 seasons. You hope guys like Virtanen, Boesser and Demko start to form the core of a new team. We also need 5 or so good prospects to all mature and grow together (think Bieksa, Burrows, Edler, Kesler). 

Who we are able to draft will be the difference between a 5 or 8 year rebuild. I don't think trying to sign guys like Eriksson to dress the up like a contender every off session will: a) stop any time soon 'b) hinder the rebuild that much.

Going forward:

I'd trade Tanev this off-season. Larsson working out well in Edmonton keeps Tanev's value up now, and he'll be too old by the time we're competitive. 

Edler Burrows and the Sedins can play out their contracts.

Start shopping Sutter in 2 years. Gudbranson gone. Probably Baertschi too. 

I'd say maybe one D man on the team now is still around in 4 years.

Probably 2 coaches.

and probably costs Benning and Linden their jobs despite them doing a good job rebuilding the team. It's just the nature of the business.

I think getting more skill and not become very obsessed with size would give us a fast (3yrs, Red wings style)rebuild and quick results. It's kind of like Virt vs Nylander. On Jake you have to wait for 4 years till you can be call him a bust or he starts contributing offensively which is how you win, or Nylander who just starts producing right after you draft him(AHL and even in the NHL)

4 hours ago, westvandude said:

This is only for those who consider themselves fans of tanking for high drafts (if this is not you, please don't waste your own time and ours with lame one liners)

I love reading well-thought out analysis... and considering the Canucks' rough start and all the predictions of where we are to end up this season, I wanna see what you guys think of a good plan for the next few years considering our needs and the prospects coming up that we could draft from, and potential realistic trades.

Here's a link to next draft's top prospects to aim for: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-october-jeff-marek/

Looks like the top 4 are C and D, which arguably not what we'll need for our future top lines. And realistically, it's hard to aim that high anyways. 5 to 7 are RW and LW, which is a good place to aim for. 

So basically, please tell us if you have a well-thought out plan that includes:

- Realistic assumptions (so no when we finish last and get #1 pick...)

- Comprehensive analysis (includes drafts, trades and signings)

- Assumption that we are going to be bad for next 2 seasons and finish bottom 5-10

Thanks!

so our current #1C is 36 but we don't need to find a replacement?...... ok then.......

It's evident we have too many d-men, I think someone will get moved this year for pieces. 

They'll pick which young guys they want to rely on, and go from there. 

Top priority should be acquiring someone promising to play with Boeser so he has a 'light at the end of the tunnel' type thing. 

I look at this team as separable into 4 groups

1/ Untradable

2/ Untouchable

3/ Tradable

4/ Trade em if you can- why bother

Let  me say that no-one is really untouchable, but there are some players that if traded would require "winning the trade" to make it useful.

Untradable: Hank, Dank, Eriksson, Edler

Untouchable: Bo, Stetcher, Hutton, Virtanen, Tryankin, Gudbranson, Boesser, Demko

Tradable: Sutter, Tanev, Hansen, Sbisa(maybe) Markstrom, Miller, Burrows 

Trade em: Larsen, Sven, Granlund, Dorsett, Skille, Gaunce

Some players blur from one list to another, like Sbisa and Burrows might switsh with Granny and  Dorsett while Gaunce might be untouchable because his return is less than his usefulness.

If you can the untradable do it, I just do not think it possible.

The untouchables are usefull now and could become more useful in the future.

The tradable players should be traded, or at least 4-5 of them should be traded for useful picks or prospects. Sbisa, Miller and Burrows are likely tradable at the deadline, while Sutter, Tanev and Hansen could go sooner for useful pieces.

The Trade em guys are likely throw-ins on other deals .

As money comes off the books it should be unspent in free agency and used for RFAs or garbage contracts with valuable enticements.

Horde cap and horde picks.

Shed cap with every trade unless scavenging from capstrapped teams.

Use the waiver wire and low cost UFAs to fill spots for 3 years or so.

No more Eriksson, Dorsett, Sbisa deals. No NTCs, NMCs, NHL only deals

roster in 2 years

Virt/2017 pick  Bo Boes

Prospect Prospect Loui

Sutter piece Hansen piece Tanev piece

Monster Gaunce Dorsett (because it turns out we couldn't trade/ waive/ Expose)

Hutton Gud

Try Stetch

Prospect Juolevi

Edler

Demko

Mark/ ???

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'd take Strome for Tanev.  God, that would be super great, and Double Bouble.  Tanev is an EXTREMELY high Q player.  He will adapt his game in order to survive and still keep the fancy stats people fawning.

You are not going to get Strome or any other high end kid on an ELC for Tanev. If he gets traded it will be at the deadline to a team in the hunt for the cup, witch means a low 1st rounder and some B prospect. GM's want to keep their top prospects on ELC's in this cap world.

2 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

The strategy is simple: over the next two years we throw everything we can at 1st overall unless we already have it (Odds are not good) or the consensus pick isn't that great,

What this means in practice is that we can't have ANY untouchables when shooting for that top line talent ANYBODY is expendable, any less and we won't get it. 

Think Brian Burke with the Sedin, Chris Pronger and Phil Kessel trades, even if they don't work out you have to go for it. And as you can see, with Burke it worked 2 out of 3.

That's what it will take.,

All of you "Horvat, Virtanen, Joulevi, Sutter, Gudbransson, Demko, Boeser are untouchable" Types, still don't understand what it will take to get out of this

Peripheral moves accomplish nothing,and you don't get to have your cake and eat it too, we need to make a full-scale exchange of our middling talent for top line offensive talent,

Once you have that THEN you can go looking for two-way footsoldiers, but if you don't have the starpower you've got nothing,

And right now, we've got NOTHING, 

Also, I hope the Sedins have their sights set on another city, It would be great fun to watch them try for a cup while Vancouver rebuilds. Much like with Trev, I always said, even if they won a cup somewhere else it would probably be just as good

I agree about the hail marry trades. going back further we traded Linden for Mcabe and Bert then Mcabe for the #3 overall and then bert was traded for Lou. if you want a top pick offer the team that has it something they cant say no to and suck the next year and get another good pick but don't delay too long.

5 hours ago, apollo said:

I'm happy with picking Luke Martin 30th overall. 

Tanking is for peasants. This team is built to win.

Old friend, this team is built to win the draft lottery if all goes right and not much else at the moment.

Well clearly the only way to build a winner is to trade away all of our players who are over 25... then let the constant losing and lack of support destroy the development of the remaining youngsters, which ensures we are near the bottom of the league regularly.

We can then have as much as a 20% chance of picking at the top of the draft... and then we can pray that we win the lottery in a year where there is a really elite level, game changing type of player player available.... say maybe every 3 years.  Odds are if we can manage to stay at the bottom of the standings for 15 years we have a good shot at landing one of those guys!  If the odds are against us, maybe it is 30 years... but hey don't be pessimistic!

If everything works out well, in a decade we can be back to fighting for a playoff spot... right where we are now!

I believe in magic and refuse to accept we will turn out to be just like all the other teams who have floundered at the bottom of the standings for the past decade, piling up lottery picks and never winning a playoff series.

I think this year we'll for sure push for the playoffs (we won't be as bad as we are now for the rest of the season), but if we fall short close to the trade deadline we'll load up on picks and prospects heading in to the draft. 

Rest of '16-'17:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Gaunce - Sutter - Rodin

Dorsett - Granlund - Virtanen

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa/Tryamkin - Tanev

Miller/Markstrom

As of right now Miller has some pretty high trade value, and if he doesn't get hurt he could likely get a 1st from a contending team in need of some depth/back up goaltenders. 

2017-18:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

trade/free agent - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen

Gaunce - Granlund - Rodin

Hutton - Gudbranson

Edler/_____/Juolevi - Tanev

Tryamkin - Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

I've said this before and I've stayed true to this; I think management has a plan put together to have the right pieces at the right time to go on one last run with the Sedins before they retire. This year is the start of the plan, next season we'll start to see it come together, then during the 2018-19 season is when we'll start seeing it come together.

6 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Ideally, we bottom out sooner rather than later to speed up the process. I'm not so sure that will happen with the Sedin's around

Given that I'd say the next two years we pick in the 5-10 range and go for high ceiling players. Potential game breakers. We have more than enough safe two way players to insulate one dimensional talent now. 

Someone like Mittlestadt is who I have my eyes on going into next years draft.

Once the Sedin's retire I'd say three years of bottom feeding to get the top flight center, winger, and number one defenseman is all we need to turn this ship around and build our way back up to contender status.

Winger - Center - Boeser

'17/'18- Horvat - Eriksson

Virtanen- Gaunce - Sutter

Plug - Granlund - Plug

Defenseman - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

'17/'18- Stecher

This isn't even taking into account the potential to hit a home run in the later rounds, which we may very well do. 5 years isn't too bad at all.

I find it interesting that you don't see top pairing potential in Hutton. Olli Juolevi also has a pretty high ceiling. Gudbranson could, in theory, get better. He probably will, but not #1 good.

Archived