The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to End the Bash Jake Comments

dpn1

I just read the Hockey News article on Jake Virtanen and I am not sure how you all feel but it seems like the media is just making way too much of the thing now.  I admit to being a big Jake fan but it seems to just be getting stupid.  He is down there now and hopefully he will start to find the back of the soon.  I still feel his frustration is reasonable.  The coach, gm and prez didn't handle him well.  He needs to now shut up and put up the point.  Maybe the press will leave him alone then.

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I just read the Hockey News article on Jake Virtanen and I am not sure how you all feel but it seems like the media is just making way too much of the thing now.  I admit to being a big Jake fan but it seems to just be getting stupid.  He is down there now and hopefully he will start to find the back of the soon.  I still feel his frustration is reasonable.  The coach, gm and prez didn't handle him well.  He needs to now shut up and put up the point.  Maybe the press will leave him alone then.

Wrong

Jake didn't handle himself well 

I hope he turns it around for himself but I for one am not impressed with him at this point 

He is a bit of an enigma, to say the least ......

he wants to play the big man's game, but won't put in the effort (it seems) to condition himself to excel at it

he got inserted into the lineup for his hitting, speed and shot, but seemed scared to display any of the three attributes that got him selected in the first place

has a great release, a hard shot, but WD gave him linemates that wouldn't pass the puck to him.

Hopefully his stint in Utica will give him what he needs - a center in Cassels that can distribute the puck, first line minutes, and a coach that believes in him. He needs PK and PP minutes, but above all, needs to learn how his contribution, every shift, contributes to team wins.

And I wouldnt say management and coaching havn't handled him well.  OK so they didn't babysit him or try to favor him anymore than anyone else, pretty normal if you ask me.  It's kind of nuts to think a young developing player like him, who has been praised NUMEROUS times by both the coach and management hasn't been given proper direction.  So he's not quite ready for the NHL yet, no biggie.  AHL under Green is excellent for his development.

Jake isn't playing well right now. we've seen in the past that he can play well. The narrative will forever shift on players depending on their contributions, especially when they're young and have a high pedigree.

The best option is to tune out media (positive or negative) and watch it pan out. 

Just now, EmilyM said:

Disagree. I think a lot of fans think he is going to fail, but would love to be proven wrong :)

I know thats true, but it seems like some fans get enjoyment out of him failing so they can say they were right about nylander ect.. 

I want him to do well and stay with us for a long long time... I hope he doesn't read too much media. I'm buying a Virtanen Jersey next year

This article?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/virtanen-not-worried-about-his-stuff-focused-on-re-joining-canucks

How does that bash him?  How wasn't he handled well?  It's his fault he's not doing the things that make him successful, no hitting no scoring no hustle.

If he was in the minors people wouldn't be happy that he's not getting a shot here.  He was on main club, and people aren't happy because he's being rushed. 

Archived