The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gudbranson out indefinitely after wrist surgery

numb3r 16

Nobody can say with absolute certainty how long a "rebuild" will take. There are so many intangible factors at play that it'd be impossible to try.

Saying we're 10 years away is blowing just as much smoke as saying we'll be in the playoffs next season. You're talking out of your ass either way.

Wrist/Ligament

He's a minimum of 3 months, late March away with rehab.  Gaining movement in that fine area is a long slog and I don't expect him back until the off season.

Anyone sitting taking joy in this or using it to justify their point of view is nothing more than a fair weather idiot.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Nobody can say with absolute certainty how long a "rebuild" will take. There are so many intangible factors at play that it'd be impossible to try.

Saying we're 10 years away is blowing just as much smoke as saying we'll be in the playoffs next season. You're talking out of your ass either way.

Well

1 person seems to be able to.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Wrist/Ligament

He's a minimum of 3 months, late March away with rehab.  Gaining movement in that fine area is a long slog and I don't expect him back until the off season.

Anyone sitting taking joy in this or using it to justify their point of view is nothing more than a fair weather idiot.

Welcome to the "sunshine" club. :towel:

Just now, Warhippy said:

Nothing sunny about never being able to use your hand the same way again fur ball.

But i gotcha ^_^

I agree with your comment about not being able to use your hand.

If I had that problem with my hand, I'd be very sad.   Would really miss my girlfriend.

Oops...wrong forum...

26 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Add more over the next 2 or 3 years and let them develop which takes 3 to 4 years and there you have it. We are several years away. 

We already have a legit #1 goalie in Markstrom. Demko will be fully developed within 3 years. Stecher, Hutton and Tryamkin and will be fully developed within 2 years. Juolevi 3 years. Brisebois 4 years. Gudbranson can still get better, give him 2 more years and he will be hitting his prime. That's our entire goaltending and D right there.

As for the forwards, Benning acquired Granlund and Baertschi who are already in their early 20's. BO looks like he could be s star within 2 years. Boeser and Virtanen should be hitting their strides within a couple of years. Sutter is already in his prime. Eriksson hopefully with a new coach and system can get back to where he was last year. That leaves open a couple positions in the top 9 which can be fillled by trading Tanev and by using our top pick this year which could be top 3, and a possibility it is Nolan Patrick. 

There are alot of moving parts here and things never go as planned but if Benning keeps doing what he's doing and if we can hire a top coach who can get the most of out of these young players then I can see us being a legit playoff team within 2-3 years. 

36 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

This team will suck again next year. Rebuilds take several years. 7 to 10 years is normal.

There is no such thing as a "normal" rebuild.  There is no mathematic formula or average for   becoming a contending team.

Some teams suck for decades, some teams stay good for decades while consistently replacing players until their rosters have been completely made over.

Every season you have a chance to make the playoffs.  Every offseason you have a chance to add or subtract players from your roster to try to be better the next season.  

Eveuthing else is just a bunch of uncontrollable variables.

16 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

We already have a legit #1 goalie in Markstrom. Demko will be fully developed within 3 years. Stecher, Hutton and Tryamkin and will be fully developed within 2 years. Juolevi 3 years. Brisebois 4 years. Gudbranson can still get better, give him 2 more years and he will be hitting his prime. That's our entire goaltending and D right there.

As for the forwards, Benning acquired Granlund and Baertschi who are already in their early 20's. BO looks like he could be s star within 2 years. Boeser and Virtanen should be hitting their strides within a couple of years. Sutter is already in his prime. Eriksson hopefully with a new coach and system can get back to where he was last year. That leaves open a couple positions in the top 9 which can be fillled by trading Tanev and by using our top pick this year which could be top 3, and a possibility it is Nolan Patrick. 

There are alot of moving parts here and things never go as planned but if Benning keeps doing what he's doing and if we can hire a top coach who can get the most of out of these young players then I can see us being a legit playoff team within 2-3 years. 

Granlund's and Baeretchis aren't going to be good enough for this team to contend for a Cup. This team needs 3 or 4 more top 6 players for the future. Not the least of which is a 1C. 

Horvat is a 2C not a 1C. If you compare EDM who this team will have to beat in a divisional series they have McDavid and Draisaitl at 1C and 2D moving forward, CGY as well. We need a top tier 1C who hasn't been drafted yet let alone fully developed. Even IF we get that player at end of this year he'll need 4 years to fully develop. That's when McDavid and Draisits will be in his prime. It will be very difficult to get out of the division in the playoffs. 

Juolevi will play in the NHL in 3 years but he will not be a top pair Dman let alone a 1D for atleast a couple more years after that. Next season he will be in the AHL, and maybe even the year after that. He'll need 300 NHL games to fully develop which is 4 years. Not all prospects pan out, some will be busts. Many people on here thought Virtanen is going to be a star power forward in 3 years. Now it's hoped he can be a 3rd line player next year. 

Rebuilds take time. We've been at it for a couple of years now, I think we are at least 5 years away from getting close, which is where EDM is today, and they still aren't done. They still need to develop, mature and add more pieces for a couple of years before making a run. 

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

There is no such thing as a "normal" rebuild.  There is no mathematic formula or average for   becoming a contending team.

Some teams suck for decades, some teams stay good for decades while consistently replacing players until their rosters have been completely made over.

Every season you have a chance to make the playoffs.  Every offseason you have a chance to add or subtract players from your roster to try to be better the next season.  

Eveuthing else is just a bunch of uncontrollable variables.

Well said..There's no timeline,or correct way to do a rebuild...It just takes good decisions,and a massive dollop of luck.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Wrist/Ligament

Well said, Warhippy.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

No one can be sure. But if you look at the teams who have won Cups over the past several years it's clear. Chicago, PITT, LA all took 7 to 10 years. No one has a magic ball that predicts the future. 

You have some of the biggest stars in the world on those teams. Pitt had Malkin and Crosby for and they didn't win a Cup for 5 years after drafting Malkin. 

Chicago had Towes and Kane and didn't win for 4 years after drafting Toews. They also had one of the deepest teams of all time with many many stars. They drafted Keith  8 years and  7 years prior to winning. 

LA drafted Kopitar in 2005 and won the Cup in 2012. Other major contributors to that Cup were all drafted 4 plus years earlier with Doughty being 4 years and all others being longer. 

The pattern is clear, and this team still doesn't have a 1C. It will need several more top tier players. 

Some will make loud posts and claims to know that people can talk out of their asses. Guess you are an expert at observing people's' asses, me I'm talking hockey and only look at past realities to predict what may lie ahead. 

These comment of this last page, just begs the question, that if we have known all this for several years, why and the H E double  hockey stick, did we not commit to a strip down move the out going assets type of rebuild?

It just reeks of mismanagement at the highest level............As I said, all you posters on this last page, none of you have said we have the future skill on the team to compete with the true future champions for years, and it mystifies me how this can be missed?

We have so far screwed up the last 3 years by not totally committing to a full rebuild, and I do not hear the words from Linden or Benning this years as well.......blow me a frigging way!

And to get back on track just a little, I sure hope Gudbranson's surgery goes well and the Canucks don't rush him back too quickly!

9 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

:huh: Toronto and Buffalo should make the playoffs consistently in 1-2 years. Buffalo should be a playoff team or close to one right now.

Despite their claims, Toronto has been rebuilding for several years. I remember an article about five years ago, asking whether the Oilers or Leafs will become a contender faster, when Leafs were trying to rebuild on the fly. Just because they tore everything down starting two years ago doesn't mean they hadn't been rebuilding for years before that, when the Canucks were still elite.

6 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

:huh: Toronto and Buffalo should make the playoffs consistently in 1-2 years. Buffalo should be a playoff team or close to one right now.

TO needs build up their D. They desperately need a 1D and that is no easy get. It's the hardest player to acquire by trade and you need a lot of luck to get him in the draft. Neither team has completed their rebuild. 

I don't know how you can say they have completed their rebuilds and at the same time say they will be playoff teams in 2 years. Those 2 statements contradict each other.  

Archived