The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your most painful memory/moment as a Canuck fan (slightly depressing Discussion)

ReggieBush

1. Losing the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals. It still hurts to this day, every player on our roster that year deserved to win the cup. Played with so much heart, and it heart even more to lose to a team like Boston with pricks like Marchand. I remember crying that day. Like you I wasn't around for 82 and 94 but my Dad has told me the stories. I was also really dissapointed by the riots.

2. The death of Luc and Rick. Two great guys, that I loved to watch. Both will be "Forever Canucks."

Painful, the two years of 2002-2004 playoffs. Last game of the  reg season in 02-03. Nasland doesn't win scoring title, team doesn't win division title. Then Nasland tells the crowd we choked after losing to a team that wasn't going to the playoffs. Team gets on a roll. In the second round, though, lose to the wild. That series still pisses me off.

Next year lose to the flames in the 7th game in the first round. Pushed it to overtime late. Then it was over right after the puck dropped in OT.

Oh yeah, then came the lockout and we had to wait awhile to see the kids play.

I was around for all 3 cup runs. The most crushing moment for me was the 94 run. So many up and down moments, the destruction of the leafs, such a high. When they lost in game 7, I was so crushed. I still believe we had the better team. Loosing Luke B was a very close second. 

Many, we're one of the most hard luck franchises on the planet

Reading about Luc Bourdon's death tops it, though

As for plain hockey stuff, Losing the west coast express because of a single AHL rat would be up there. Losing in 94 sucked at the time but it was a hell of a run

In recent history it's gotta be that "Slaying the Dragon!" thing. For many here it's a great moment but to me I always feel ill when I see it wondering what could have been. If we swept the Hawks, we probably win the cup. If we lost in seven then we probably win the cup next season instead of our best team ever getting too many critical injuries that we never recovered from

We didn't slay the dragon, the dragon poisoned us and we died slow while the dragon licked it's wounds and won again when we were dead and buried. 

Hows that for painful and depressing?

3 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

In recent history it's gotta be that "Slaying the Dragon!" thing. For many here it's a great moment but to me I always feel ill when I see it wondering what could have been. If we swept the Hawks, we probably win the cup. If we lost in seven then we probably win the cup next season instead of our best team ever getting too many critical injuries that we never recovered from

We didn't slay the dragon, the dragon poisoned us and we died slow while the dragon licked it's wounds and won again when we were dead and buried. 

That's an interesting way to think of it.

Most depressing moment?  For me is probably the endning of the '94 run.  I was 14 at the time and really the first time I had experienced Canuck playoff success but also was a big fan long enough to be really invested in the rise of the team.  I remember Ronning was always my favourite player, always had a soft spot for the playmakers...still do.  I remember watching game 7, I was alone in my basement (Dad at work, brother off to college, mom and sister didn't care much).  When the game was over I was so dispondent I couldn't even bother to change the channel.  I watched an entire documentary on Afghanistan which was on CBC after coverage of the game ended.  Heh, didn't do much to help my mood.

10 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

As for plain hockey stuff, Losing the west coast express because of a single AHL rat would be up there. Losing in 94 sucked at the time but it was a hell of a run

Interesting points, i agree if they swept the hawks  how much easier the finals would be plus not having thoughts of a team coming back on them. If they had lost in 7 i would be curious to see what changes would have happened like a coach or players moved etc.

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Interesting points, i agree if they swept the hawks  how much easier the finals would be plus not having thoughts of a team coming back on them. If they had lost in 7 i would be curious to see what changes would have happened like a coach or players moved etc.

I firmly believe we would have replaced Malhotra as best we could and go back to have two scoring lines. Instead we tried to emulate the Bruins team and dismantled too much and lost a fast scoring possesion team to ultimately becoming a slow mediocre debacle of a team

dammit Gillis... 

would have had to have been in 93-94...I was just a boy and it shook me to my core...In 2011 I was sad, but I was a little more prepared to deal with it...The Day they signed Messier was like a knife thru the heart and I didn't watch Hockey again until after the Sedin's broke into the league and Big Bert started pouring it on.  

WCE brought me back into hockey...It was actually when Bert got that 20 gamer against the Avs before the WCE took off...I was like, "Whoo is this guy" I had to check him out. 

Definitely 2011 game 7. I was 7 years old in '94 and I remember it but obviously because of my age it didn't hit me like 2011 did. And at least in 94 we played hard and lost by a goal and were a nathan Lafayette crossbar away from tying it.

2011 was deflating, one of the poorest efforts I've ever seen in a playoff game with everything on the line. Losing 4-0 in a game where you should sacrifice everything, on the biggest stage in the world with everyone watching, it was embarrassing, and then the riot afterwards. 

We went from being the class of the league to the laughing stock. The higher you're up the harder you fall.

That was depressing.

48 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Now I want to listen to the Smiths and cry all day.

Archived