The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] How boring Canucks style could trick them into trade deadline mistakes

LaBamba

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

This story is the hockey equivalent of herpes. Vrbata scuttled any good deal, Hammer dragged his feet. End of story.

No one talks about the mistake Dallas made in picking up Russel over Hamhuis, it was a dumb move on their part that probably cost them a round in the playoffs. 

and yet this story is still being used to support this hockey article almost a year later...

Just now, Alflives said:

Other than Bo, who on your list stands out as another elite player?  I absolutely agree that JB is turning over the roster.  I just don't see the end product (other than Bo) as being any better than just average.  I have high hopes for Juiolevvi, Boeser, Lockwood, and Gaudette.  But it's only hopeful thinking.  Those guys have yet to show at the NHL level.  We need elite young guys to go along with Bo, don't we? 

Of course, they have to prove it out. Look at Nylander, everyone's favourite comparator on CDC. He had to develop in the AHL for 2 seasons, he didn't just pop out of a flamingo egg and be a scoring star. Give it a year Alf. There's a ton of young talent there, some of it could be "elite" in Boeser, even Tryamkin. Patience my friend. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Of course, they have to prove it out. Look at Nylander, everyone's favourite comparator on CDC. He had to develop in the AHL for 2 seasons, he didn't just pop out of a flamingo egg and be a scoring star. Give it a year Alf. There's a ton of young talent there, some of it could be "elite" in Boeser, even Tryamkin. Patience my friend. 

You're the best S'all.  You're a good fan, and funny too.  I am hopeful, and do look forward to seeing our young guys coming in over the next few seasons.  

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

This story is the hockey equivalent of herpes. Vrbata scuttled any good deal, Hammer dragged his feet. End of story.

No one talks about the mistake Dallas made in picking up Russel over Hamhuis, it was a dumb move on their part that probably cost them a round in the playoffs. 

It's kind of a combination of many things and ideas that confuse a lot of people. Let's forget about the circumstances and just look at what was on paper. 

1. 3rd last

2. All pending UFA's walked

3. Went to draft (after finishing 3rd last) with less picks than most of the playoff teams. 

4. Signed the second biggest UFA available. 

5. Added another 1 dimensional defensive defender with one of our few trading chips. What McCann has done since is irrelevant. At the time of the deal, his value should have been used on skill, not another Sbisa/Tryamkin/Tanev style Dman. 

This sounds like a team like the Blackhawks or Penguins offseason. Not the 3rd worse team in the league. 

25 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

[Article] How boring Canucks articles could trick writers into thinking they are journalists 

That's good but he isn't really wrong.  This is not a good team and the product is crap.  If it was improving, that would be one thing but after 2.5 years of WD and the "get younger and faster" regime, the team shows no sign of trending upward. 

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

Worst of all, OWNERSHIP is driving this ship, and ignoring the fans at the same time. This $&!# doesn't flow up, it flows top down.

I wish they had more of a hand in the team than they do.

A little oddity just to throw in here, do you know who actually owns the team?

The NHL, they just sell a franchise to "own" the team, they can take it away at anytime as they have done in he past with Buffalo and Arizona. The NHL always has to okay an new "owner" of a franchise.

However, I hope Mr. Aquillini starts pressuring a little more. While he loses money here now it is not as much as one would think, the team used to "donate" well over 12 mil a season to teams not making the layoffs, that amount goes down substantially if other teams make the playoffs and his team doesn't make as much money, they still make money, just not as much.

The biggest impact is on the value of the franchise and borrowing power.

IF you have ever met and talked with Mr.Aquillini you would know how knowledgeable he is about the game and how much he wants a Stanley cup in Vancouver. 

I would never want to see a conglomerate own a team like TO had for years all they did was care about the bottom line not winning a cup or another owner that never got involved with the team like John McCaw Jr. In both cases there was mixed leadership. Wirtz was an indifferent owner until Rocky took over and Chicago sucked for decades. NYR, owned by MSG, decades of middle of the road hockey.

If they ever get another owner like McCaw, the team could move to Seattle and know they will still get up to half the arena filled with Canadian's. The Seahawks have something like 14,000 Canadian season ticket holders. 

See it now, the "new" disinterested owner sees the team is not earning very much money, getting rag dolled by media so he moves the team and SELLS the land the arena is on for many, many millions. He now owns a franchise in American dollars and with continued Canadian support, draws superior crowds paying in American green backs.

17 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Luckily we will suck enough to close out the year and fall into top 5 Pick range but I expect top 3 even 

As much as I hate to say it (I'm really a glass half full kind of guy) I think you might be right.  The rest of the games are mostly against some pretty strong teams that the Canucks struggle with.

41 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Actually he did pop out of a flamingo egg and be a scoring star, in exhibition, world juniors, SHL and in the AHL. In 97 games in the NHL and AHL he got 90 points. 13 points in 22 NHL games most after TO had already shipped out most of it's vets for the rebuild/tank.

Nylander was talked about all the time, anyone hear about Virtanen's latest goal?

Speculation back east was Nylander was kept out of the line up for the rebuild.

4 years ago;

There's a ton of young talent there, some of it could be "elite" in Jensen, Rodin, even Corrado give them a year or two.

2 years ago

Virtanen is the power forward this team needs. Shinkruk will be good this year coming off shoulder surgery, a top line sniper.

It seems the prospects are always going to be very good.;)

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Another garbage article of regurgitated pablum from a pencil-necked stat nerd who knows nothing about actual hockey and probably never played a real sport in his life.

What is wrong with having a pencil for a neck? 

One thing about our young guys versus comparing them to Nylander, Ehlers, etc. is that those guys were projected to be elite skill players or bust. We've picked mostly 'safe' bets and when you look at that over the long term..we're pretty screwed as the players listed above have actually panned out well. 

4 minutes ago, TheSecretIsMe said:

One thing about our young guys versus comparing them to Nylander, Ehlers, etc. is that those guys were projected to be elite skill players or bust. We've picked mostly 'safe' bets and when you look at that over the long term..we're pretty screwed as the players listed above have actually panned out well. 

I have a theory. The more picks you have the more risks you take. The more risks you take, the better chance you have of finding a diamond in the rough. However, I would argue that JV was a bigger risk than the players you listed. A lot of scouts hated his game. Jake was a risk taken because we had the other 1st. There is no way we could ever know but I bet we draft a different player if that's the only pick we have in the 1st round. 

1 minute ago, Jam126 said:

So this guy is from SN? Instant garbage.

It's funny how Liberal these boards are. Someone has a different opinion so you gotta riot and completely tune out something you don't agree with. The truth lies somewhere in between. Embrace it. 

Just now, LaBamba said:

It's funny how Liberal these boards are. Someone has a different opinion so you gotta riot and completely tune out something you don't agree with. The truth lies somewhere in between. Embrace it. 

The truth lies in the interviews where TL and JB talk. Not some guy in his cubicle fidgeting wondering what fabricated drama they're going to create today.

Archived