The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Failure as GM (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

20 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I Don't have a problem with a single Benning pick. I see the logic in every single one of them. However, to blatantly deny the fact that JB whiffed on Virtanen and missed out on Tkachuk is just as annoying as critiquing a draft a year later. Juolevi will be a good defender without a doubt but for him to catch up to Tkachuk is almost impossible. He is probably 2 years away with our depth and doesn't have the shot to be a true 1A. 

Tkachuk has just as many points as the beloved Bo Horvat. Let that really sink in. Tkachuk = Bo Horvat's point production in his ROOKIE season. Now take off your rose coloured sun glasses and take a deep breath of reality, let it sober you. Tkachuk's size and skill are going to be generational for his style of player. That's a huge miss. 

You're an instant gratification kind of guy. It's way too soon to call Virtanen a wiff, and way, way too soon to say Tkachuk is a better pick Juolevi. If he pans out to be a Norris caliber guy, and Tkachuk tops out at a 60-70 point guy, would you still call Juolevi a miss? I don't have a crystal ball, I'm just saying way too early to judge. The real tell is what they top out at.

Instant gratification would have dumped Burrows from the team in his first full season by fans. The majority here were complaining he was a waste of a roster spot. I saw him as a bargain for what he brought despite his lack of production. Sometimes a little patience goes a long way.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Burr was only a rental (no extension) I wonder if the return would have been less?

I'm pretty sure it would have been. Really I only expected a 3rd for him as a rental player. And I loved the guy from his first season here.

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Instant gratification would have dumped Burrows from the team in his first full season by fans. The majority here were complaining he was a waste of a roster spot. I saw him as a bargain for what he brought despite his lack of production. Sometimes a little patience goes a long way

Ditto, I liked his game from the start, wasn't overly impressed with the pest stuff, I saw that he could score and skate AND the heart.

I liked Tryamkin from his first game as well.

The last two days have been trending in the right direction. :) very happy with the returns. Perhaps we may see one more trade before deadline, however unlikely.

Trade 1: Win!

Trade 2: Even value (which is also good!)

Hopefully this is a sign that Ownership is letting go of the reins and is open to changing the strategic direction of this team to a true rebuild for 2018 at least. Benning is showing that he can get those right kinds of trades done even with NTCs 

13 hours ago, Baggins said:

You're an instant gratification kind of guy. It's way too soon to call Virtanen a wiff, and way, way too soon to say Tkachuk is a better pick Juolevi. If he pans out to be a Norris caliber guy, and Tkachuk tops out at a 60-70 point guy, would you still call Juolevi a miss? I don't have a crystal ball, I'm just saying way too early to judge. The real tell is what they top out at.

Instant gratification would have dumped Burrows from the team in his first full season by fans. The majority here were complaining he was a waste of a roster spot. I saw him as a bargain for what he brought despite his lack of production. Sometimes a little patience goes a long way.

Excellent post, +1

On 25/02/2017 at 9:33 AM, janisahockeynut said:

I am not concerned with Benning's drafting, as his early 1st round choices have been average at worst, and those picks by and large are still on the vine......no panic there! His picks in the later rounds have been stellar and his signing of NCAA free agents has been solid, so far.

His trading has been, average, but not bad, as we have picked up some good players in Baer and Granlund, while acquiring some duds in Vey and Clendenning(sp?), the Gudbranson trade is too early to tell as he has not put in a full season and McCann hasn't exactly lit it up.....let's wait and see on that on, no point panicking.....

Where Benning really falls down IMO, is in his evaluation of his teams chances of making the playoffs at the end of December and through January........this is the time where Benning should have a good amount of time to evaluate his team and the teams around him. By waiting and hoping for miracles, he let's teams fall away from the Playoff race and out of trading contention. The TDL is only a date in the sand and should not be the deciding factor in moving players. If they are to be moved at all.

Miller to Dallas would have been a option earlier on, before Dallas continued to tail spin, Miller to LA would have been an option before Budaj showed his wares......

I am not saying that they should have been moved that early, only that Benning's comments during those days, dis-clude this as an option, as he honestly sounded as if he thought we had a chance at the playoffs........something no one else honestly thought......he needs to improve on this weakness.

We shall see how this week turns out, but this is a concern of mine......and I believe it has and will continue to cost us until he improves in this area

Has he improved?

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

The last two days have been trending in the right direction. :) very happy with the returns. Perhaps we may see one more trade before deadline, however unlikely.

Trade 1: Win!

Trade 2: Even value (which is also good!)

Hopefully this is a sign that Ownership is letting go of the reins and is open to changing the strategic direction of this team to a true rebuild for 2018 at least. Benning is showing that he can get those right kinds of trades done even with NTCs 

No Surprise here. I've always believed in him...

2 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

It's nice to see that Benning is finally making moves that will benefit this team. If only the commitment to a rebuild happened earlier. 

Well said.  This rebuild or teardown should have happened in 2012 not 2017.   All this delay will have done is cause us to wait until 2022 or 2023 for a contender.  Someone has been asleep at the wheel for five years!  Enough said..........

15 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Ditto, I liked his game from the start, wasn't overly impressed with the pest stuff, I saw that he could score and skate AND the heart.

I liked Tryamkin from his first game as well.

Well he had 3g 6a in 81 gp his first full season. Which led to a thread he was a waste of a roster spot long before the epic Clutch thread. Man I argued all season long why he belonged on the team and was in the very small minority. All year he was top three among forwards for hits and blocked shots. He had the best takeaway versus giveaway difference on the entire team and also on the top pk unit with Kesler. Then add in his speed and pest work drawing penalties. All this from the 4th line making the league minimum. I thought he was an absolute bargain and full value to be on the team. I argued in favor of him being on the team so much that year I bought jersey. lol

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎25 at 9:53 AM, Solinar said:

I think it is a little early to really decide if Benning is a bust or not.  He's been handcuffed with numerous NTCS, NMC, and contracts signed from the previous regime.  Those are all off the books after next season.  3 years from now if the team is still middling at the bottom, is when I'll call for his head.   As is, keep drafting, developing and trying to win.

I'll buy into that!

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎25 at 9:56 AM, gerry35 said:

No, people aren't warming up to him being a bust, the normal people are starting to stay away from here more because of the constant negativity of the me, me, me generation who want's results instantly.

Hold on a second.  Lets' get one thing straight.   I've been waiting 45 years!   So PLEASE don't call me a "me-me" generation x'er.  I think many in this town have been patient long enough!

Archived