The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope Dahlen will have an amazing preseason and the media pressure will force JB's hands to making the right move! After all, we fans deserve some exciting hockey and shouldn't have to get stuck watching Granlund and Gagner if Dahlen can prove he's got magic with Pettersson! I mean... doesn't Mr. Aquilini wanna see fans fill up the seats? I'm sure we would rather watch entertaining losses than meh ones...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I just hope Dahlen will have an amazing preseason and the media pressure will force JB's hands to making the right move! After all, we fans deserve some exciting hockey and shouldn't have to get stuck watching Granlund and Gagner if Dahlen can prove he's got magic with Pettersson! I mean... doesn't Mr. Aquilini wanna see fans fill up the seats? I'm sure we would rather watch entertaining losses than meh ones...

Are you saying you want the media, the Vancouver media, to have influence in roster decisions?  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Virtanen and McCann had great camps, so did Hutton, how has that worked out for us?

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

:lol::lol::lol:

No <_<

You're totally entitled to your opinion...  what really bugs me is, when everyone including the media can see a few hot prospects clearly ready to contribute to the big club... but just gotta keep waiting coz we don't wanna lose a Gagner or a iega to waivers just yet....

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

You're totally entitled to your opinion...  what really bugs me is, when everyone including the media can see a few hot prospects clearly ready to contribute to the big club... but just gotta keep waiting coz we don't wanna lose a Gagner or a iega to waivers just yet....

If the media were a hivemind with only one opinion, then it might work; however, there are so many differing opinion even between the media groups that any media say would likely be a disaster. The media is not unlike CDC, especially if you start to include CanucksArmy or any of those media outlets along with TSN, the Sun, and whomever else, so imagine if ALL of our opinions were steering the ship. You would literally have a million hands on one lever to determine what we were doing. Would you feel comfortable then?

Another perspective would be to imagine trying to bring consensus in a meeting. Often it's difficult with 10 people or less, imagine a lot more people than that trying to make a decision..... basically no decision would ever be made, our players would likely age, we'd likely lose our turn at the draft table for taking to long, we wouldn't even be able to make a decision on who to ice on the first day! lol

Edited by The Lock

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If the media were a hivemind with only one opinion, then it might work; however, there are so many differing opinion even between the media groups that any media say would likely be a disaster. The media is not unlike CDC, especially if you start to include CanucksArmy or any of those media outlets along with TSN, the Sun, and whomever else, so imagine if ALL of our opinions were steering the ship. You would literally have a million hands on one lever to determine what we were doing. Would you feel comfortable then?

Hmmmm... let's not form an over-simplistic opinion...  all I'm saying is, the general consensus among fans should matter!! For example, we want the best fit possible for our new 4th line and can't fill that with Granlund or Virtanen due to waivers restrictions...  what if a Jasek or Archibald offer more value on that line? Do they not deserve serious consideration? 

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Hmmmm... let's not form an over-simplistic opinion...  all I'm saying is, the general consensus among fans should matter!! For example, we want the best fit possible for our new 4th line and can't fill that with Granlund or Virtanen due to waivers restrictions...  what if a Jasek or Archibald offer more value on that line? Do they not deserve serious consideration? 

Over-simplistic? Huh? LOL

The thing is, we DO matter. We are the ones paying the tickets; however, if we left the decision making to us, I'm going to be blunt and say that most people on CDC don't actually know what they are talking about. They would like to think they do as it's fun to believe we are all hockey experts, but we're not.

I actually picture CDC as a land of make believe hockey experts. I kid you not. lol

(EDIT: And for the record, I'm not excluding myself from that either)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Another perspective would be to imagine trying to bring consensus in a meeting. Often it's difficult with 10 people or less, imagine a lot more people than that trying to make a decision..... basically no decision would ever be made, our players would likely age, we'd likely lose our turn at the draft table for taking to long, we wouldn't even be able to make a decision on who to ice on the first day! lol

It's economics; everybody pretty much has at least one opinion, and lots of people have multiple, so there is lots of supply;, on the other hand the demand is not so high.  That kind of sets the value of opinions - big supply, little demand, not worth much.

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Why on earth does there need to be a 'consensus' among fans?  Is there a bonus for having an opinion that agrees with the consensus of the moment, can't figure out how we ever got past 'the earth is flat'... wasn't that the consensus?  Hell, Aristotle believed the world was round, and had several proofs of it.  The student of his student, knew the circumference of the earth within a 1000 miles, he calculated the the distance to the moon pretty accurately for his day, but he just couldn't get other people to form a consensus with him, so I guess his calculation was just BS.

7 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

... but just gotta keep waiting coz we don't wanna lose a Gagner or a iega to waivers just yet....

I honestly don't believe either of those are remotely a concern.

Straw.

Man. 

all I'm saying is, the general consensus among fans should matter!! 

The second Benning and Co start making hockey decisions based on fan/media wants, is the same point in time they should be fired immediately. 

Fans get their say with whether or not they buy merchandise, tickets and tune in to games. That's it. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The second Benning and Co start making hockey decisions based on fan/media wants, is the same point in time they should be fired immediately.

Fortunately they've given no evidence of ever doing that, but with some acquisitions (Pedan, Pouliot, Etem, Gudbranson, Roussel, etc.) did happen to acquire players of interest that had been bandied about here.

I recall a poster demanding that Edler be dropped from the roster and replaced by Jordan Subban. Great ideas that could be followed. The tank nation would be eternally happy. We could demand who gets drafted too. It's hard having a logical discussion in an emotional fight

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Fans get their say with whether or not they buy merchandise, tickets and tune in to games. That's it. 

Well said!! I can't even begin to imagine what kind of team we would have if the fans here on CDC got to do the picking and choosing.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I honestly don't believe either of those are remotely a concern.

Straw.

Man. 

I still think that when Benning signed Gagner, it was as insurance in case Henrik Sedin retired.  Well, he did and although Gagner didn't perform as well as hoped last season, he's still here.

I think that management is hoping that Pettersson will be starting the season at centre but what if he's not ready?  Who then?

It's going to be a big year for growth and development.  Can't wait