Sign in to follow this  
Mathew Barzal

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

3 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I mean I’d rather win than be tough....

Fwiw a similar play happened to Burrows' team in Laval.  The other 4 guys on the ice got benched for the rest of the game.  They called it unacceptable - 'you play as a team you stand up as a team'.  They weren't asking them to fight but they can't just skate away as if nothing happened when their teammate gets crushed right in front of them.  

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I’d rather lose and send a message.

4 hours ago, Kushman said:

Can someone say what happened? 

Is dahlen okay?

I didn't see but apparently he took a pretty solid check from 6'4 230 pound Eric Tangradi.  Suspected concussion

10 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

You can be both, I don't think we should need anyone telling us that as Canucks fans.

Hockey isn't a game that's policed well at all, if teams know they can take liberties without repercussions they will. 

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Teams that aren't tough don't win

8 hours ago, mll said:

Fwiw a similar play happened to Burrows' team in Laval.  The other 4 guys on the ice got benched for the rest of the game.  They called it unacceptable - 'you play as a team you stand up as a team'.  They weren't asking them to fight but they can't just skate away as if nothing happened when their teammate gets crushed right in front of them.  

I have no problem with a team being tough.  BUT if I had to choose I’d take winning over being ‘tough’.  

I do agree the two often go together but there’s a thin line between what some posters seem to think of as being tough and just being goons. 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Our motto is get'em back on the PP.  Winning is what shows true toughness. ......  God I can't believe people can actually say that and mean it

The Comets won 5 - 2.  I think there was a bit of time for some one to pay him back for breaking Sautner; nose, jaw and cheek bone on a dirty hit 2 games ago and knocking Dahlen out cold and out of the game.

8 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

The Comets won 5 - 2.  I think there was a bit of time for some one to pay him back for breaking Sautner; nose, jaw and cheek bone on a dirty hit 2 games ago and knocking Dahlen out cold and out of the game.

Who did you have in mind to do that? The Comet's don't have an Andre Pedan type player on the roster anymore, the only ones close to matching Tangratti size wise  would be Archibald, Brendan Woods or Zack McEwen. fwiw... Tangratti fought Gudbranson back in 2012 and went down with Guddy on top (and Guddy was only 20 back then). Not much of a fight.... over in 5 seconds lol.

10 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Who did you have in mind to do that? The Comet's don't have an Andre Pedan type player on the roster anymore, the only ones close to matching Tangratti size wise  would be Archibald, Brendan Woods or Zack McEwen. fwiw... Tangratti fought Gudbranson back in 2012 and went down with Guddy on top (and Guddy was only 20 back then). Not much of a fight.... over in 5 seconds lol.

I think Archie or Mac should have done something.  Are you saying we have no one who can stand up for a  friend.  Remember when Hamomic took Guddy or Krug fought Archie against Boston.  Just because you are smaller doesn't mean you don't stick-up fur your team mate.  I thought that was how we play the game.:gocan:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

I think Archie or Mac should have done something.  Are you saying we have no one who can stand up for a  friend.  Remember when Hamomic took Guddy or Krug fought Archie against Boston.  Just because you are smaller doesn't mean you don't stick-up fur your team mate.  I thought that was how we play the game.:gocan:

Not at all. The ones on the Comets that should have challenged him .... didn't.  There are lots of players on the Comets team that shy away from that sort of thing especially if they see the perceived tough guys on the team doing nothing. In fairness to Brendan Woods, he is out with an injury. He and Archibald should be the go to guys when @#$% like that goes on. Big Mac is still young but might need to take a bit of this mantle on as well. Brendan Gaunce is an enigma as he has the size and is quite capable of holding his own in a scrap but he is a gentle giant type....Clark Gillies comes to mind..... gotta slap him upside the head a couple of times to get him going.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

You mean win one game but lose a valuable player for twenty?  And then lose another for another long spell?  And so on.  Now that sounds like the Canucks, half the talent on the sideline and the other half having to worry about being taken advantage of by any dolt whenever the talent is vulnerable.  If you are going to allow other teams to predate on your teammates, you shouldn’t be surprised when it’s your turn, and you shouldn’t be surprised when your best players spend long stretches recovering from injury.

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not at all. The ones on the Comets that should have challenged him .... didn't.  There are lots of players on the Comets team that shy away from that sort of thing especially if they see the perceived tough guys on the team doing nothing. In fairness to Brendan Woods, he is out with an injury. He and Archibald should be the go to guys when @#$% like that goes on. Big Mac is still young but might need to take a bit of this mantle on as well. Brendan Gaunce is an enigma as he has the size and is quite capable of holding his own in a scrap but he is a gentle giant type....Clark Gillies comes to mind..... gotta slap him upside the head a couple of times to get him going.

If the organization is not going to reward players who protect their teammates, then they shouldn’t be surprised when players only play for themselves.

7 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

You mean win one game but lose a valuable player for twenty?  And then lose another for another long spell?  And so on.  Now that sounds like the Canucks, half the talent on the sideline and the other half having to worry about being taken advantage of by any dolt whenever the talent is vulnerable.  If you are going to allow other teams to predate on your teammates, you shouldn’t be surprised when it’s your turn, and you shouldn’t be surprised when your best players spend long stretches recovering from injury.

No that’s not what I meant at all.... but thanks for assuming :shock:

5 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I'd rather a promising prospect not break his hand or suffer a concussion from a fight.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd rather a promising prospect not break his hand or suffer a concussion from a fight.

We have a promising prospect out due to a concussion because teams take liberties on us

• Like 1

The Comets next two home games are against Eric Tangradi and the Devils but yet it's the Toronto Marlies that are adding protection to their line-up.

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

The Comets next two home games are against Eric Tangradi and the Devils but yet it's the Toronto Marlies that are adding protection to their line-up.

I don't think Ryan Johnson's thought process has ever been the same since this incident...but man he sacrificed his body like no other when he played which makes it off that he doesn't bring in players willing to do the same.  

17 hours ago, Kushman said:

Can someone say what happened? 

Is dahlen okay?

TSN 1040 says that Jonathan Dahlen is out with a concussion according to Blake Price and Brooks Ward just now.

looking for confirmation in tweet.

• Hydration 1

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

TSN 1040 says that Jonathan Dahlen is out with a concussion according to Blake Price and Brooks Ward just now.

looking for confirmation in tweet.

Gotta be kidding me.

16 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If the organization is not going to reward players who protect their teammates, then they shouldn’t be surprised when players only play for themselves.

There are a number of NHL teams who react to physical play by swarming in defense of team mates. Bruins and Flames for sure. Cherry always said that Stan Johnathan made all his team mates play 20 pounds heavier. 

As much as fans want their players to defend team mates the reality of concussions and the implications for long term health is not lost on young players. They have more info on concussions than any other generation. We all worry when a Dahlen or EP40 go down with a concussion but should also realize that the full affects are felt more by the very players we want to exact retribution for hits made on our talented players. Would any of us be surprised if Tom Sestito ended up with long term concussion issues? Would we be surprised if Zack McEwen was very aware of the risks he would take even if he was hit once in the face? Hockey players have been willing to take that risk in the past so they could continue playing the game, whether at a high level or as a foot soldier. 

I like physical hockey players as I consider physical play the counter to extremely talented finesse players. Hockey is a fundamentally physical game whether exhibited by speed or by body contact. We can only hope that superior knowledge of the physical risks will prevent players from experiencing long term health problems. Players who cannot compete without extreme preditory behavior have to be cut loose.    

same asshole who broke Sautner's face with his elbow.

Tangradi better keep his head up because when we play him next, there are going to be some hell to pay