The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

16 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i agree lad, i keep wanting him to prove me wrong but he  just frustrates me to , no end. on the first arizona goal, you could see him skate up the ice. the puck was behind our goal and players were fighting for it. when came out and arizona scored, they showed goldy, skating back from centre. i guess he was waiting for a stretch pass. how long can the team wait for him to be a reliable canuck. one or two good passes a game, just isn't enough. 

I remember that play, and watching the slow motion replay, Goldobin was nowhere near the battle zone, he just glided in slowly, waiting for the puck to be freed. He has no grit. The team's mantra this year is "BATTLE". lol  I guess Goldy never got the memo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Goldy needs to put on muscle. He struggles to get the puck back and during battles along the boards, he just looks like a boy playing with men.. If he could just put on a few pounds of muscle he could be a solid top 6 forward. He reminds me of Baerstchi but he is far weaker than Baerstchi.

Edited by peaches5
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Goldy needs to put on muscle. He struggles to get the puck back and during battles along the boards, he just looks like a boy playing with men.. If he could just put on a few pounds of muscle he could be a solid top 6 forward. He reminds me of Baerstchi but he is far weaker than Baerstchi.

Maybe Goldy is still maturing, and doesn’t have his man muscles yet?  He does look still like a baby face among men.  He might not be physically strong until 25.  

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Isn't the basic issue with Goldy his willingness to make physical plays? When you think of it he probably made his way in hockey by turning the play quickly which puck battles don't help. Look at how Hutton played his first 2 seasons. He stood off the boards and fished the puck out. When that didn't work he chased after the player, usually losing body position in the process. With the way Green has been either restricting his TOI or simply sitting him it looks bad for Goldy. 

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Isn't the basic issue with Goldy his willingness to make physical plays? When you think of it he probably made his way in hockey by turning the play quickly which puck battles don't help. Look at how Hutton played his first 2 seasons. He stood off the boards and fished the puck out. When that didn't work he chased after the player, usually losing body position in the process. With the way Green has been either restricting his TOI or simply sitting him it looks bad for Goldy. 

NOT to compare Goldobin to Ovechkin..  but it took Ovi over 5 years to understand the “200 ft” game.

Some players like Yakopov, never get it..

My apologies if this seems biased or hi-lighting Russian players,.  But perhaps that is what the larger ice surface leads too..  a disconnect between Offensive and Defensive play to the point of positional correctiveness.

Perhaps the game translating from the 2 sizes is much harder to adjust from for some players than we think.

im happy to give Goldy more time to shine,  as awkward as it seems at times, I think he has the comprehension to adjust.

The biggest “dare” is the possibility of Green playing Nikolai to his weaknesses in checking or covering assignment,  but perhaps that’s knuckle biter situation for him to indulge in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Stecher plays with a big heart, and very gritty, no fear, he battles hard along the boards.

Stecher - 5'10  186

Goldobin - 5'11"  196

No excuses

wow, if Goldobin is almost 200lbs there is no excuse for him to be thrown around like that.

13 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

wow, if Goldobin is almost 200lbs there is no excuse for him to be thrown around like that.

Another site has him at 6'0" and 185. But still, he's not a small player. Certainly big enough to battle for pucks along the boards. 

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Another site has him at 6'0" and 185. But still, he's not a small player. Certainly big enough to battle for pucks along the boards. 

Big difference between a 200 pound boy and a 200 pound man.  I still believe Goldy is physically immature.

• Upvote 1

Interesting comments by Dave Tomlinson on 650 today

The talk about Goldobin is that he thinks that he's working hard.  Apparently, Greens idea of hard work is somewhat different.

A few weeks ago, the coaching staff prepared a series of video's to play to Goldobin.  17 was the number of videos if I recall.  They were showing him incidences of him not working in games; not moving his feet etc.  At the end of the session, his response was *why are you guys picking on me?*

Here is a guy who isn't getting it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

The talk about Goldobin is that he thinks that he's working hard.  Apparently, Greens idea of hard work is somewhat different.

A few weeks ago, the coaching staff prepared a series of video's to play to Goldobin.  17 was the number of videos if I recall.  They were showing him incidences of him not working in games; not moving his feet etc.  At the end of the session, his response was *why are you guys picking on me?*

With WIllie D he could argue he is being singled out but Green benches everyone. Hutton hardly played last year same with Virtanen and now they've picked up their game and they're playing more. I don't understand how he could watch his tape and not understand how he is playing poorly. I think he is just someone who is extremely talented and never really had to work hard to be the best and in the NHL he doesn't possess that level of talent that is so much better than everyone else. I doubt he is here next year unless he picks it up.

Edited by peaches5
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Very damning if true, but that sounds like some info that wouldn't usually get out. What's their source?

30 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Very damning if true, but that sounds like some info that wouldn't usually get out. What's their source?

I actually think that the Canucks want it out given how media has mostly sided with Goldobin re his earlier scratch although he is the 4th point producer on the team.  Again today Dhaliwal tweeted that his agent is very disappointed re the Canucks treatment of Goldobin. 

If they can change the perception that he is being unfairly treated, it gives Green/Benning more flexibility should they decide to either scratch him or even move on.  

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I heard DT make that comment last week on 1040 as well.   So he obviously had an in from that practice session.

Pretty telling where Goldy's head is at.  DT also mentioned that the difference between him and Nikita Tryamkin (when he was here) would be the first player on the plane and after practice grabbing an ipad looking at all his shifts of his good and bad plays.  Goldobin on the other hand wants to only look at his good clips, but cannot seem to humble himself to understand he has deficiencies and needs to work hard to rectify them. 

Yesterday I think it was Corey Hirsch that said that majority of the time, even when Goldy gets shots off on net, its 50 ft from the net, and he never goes any closer to go into the hard areas to retrieve the puck or meet the puck.  Last 11 games, he has only 8 shots.  In all of those games he started beside either Pettersson or Horvat.  Its been the same argument again and again...he needs to be engaged.

He showed that in the first 20 games he can be consistent in all areas and showed large improvements, and he raised the bar himself.  Green and co know and saw that he did that, but now he has chosen to no longer meet that same level of commitment in his game.  That is why his leash is so tight,, because they know and have seen from him a lot better commitment to the game. The last 20 games have been telling, as you no longer see the same details in his game like the first 20.  He simply switched off the work ethic thinking he can coast the rest of the way after earning a spot on the team.   he thought playing with EP was going to make his life easy, and things would just come to him.  Now that things are tough he hasn't comeback to the same level of compete. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Green's Style of coaching preaches responsibility defense first . I say poppy cock let the horses run let the D play defense bring one forward back and play off wing Rover. Win games 7 to 6 not 3 to 2. Goldobin under the right coach could put up a lot of points.

I mean, you could, but what happens when the well dries? If players don't produce, they need to contribute in other ways. Goldy had a stellar start but seems to be fading, be it from faltered confidence, laziness, or a simple cold streak. If coach Green thought he was working hard and putting effort in, I imagine he would keep feeding him top 6 time to get the monkey off his back. He did that for Boeser, Virtanen, and Eriksson. I can't see him being Russian having any sort of a factor here.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Green's Style of coaching preaches responsibility defense first . I say poppy cock let the horses run let the D play defense bring one forward back and play off wing Rover. Win games 7 to 6 not 3 to 2. Goldobin under the right coach could put up a lot of points.

really?

you think that would work in the nhl

to allow some players to only play one direction

while the other team has all of its players playing 100% both ways?

i think you'd see your team get a pile of goals scored against it

and even if this might work

why use goldy as the basis for your argument

the kid does not score goals .. so he does not need to be in the offensive end the whole game

his points are acquired via assists

he is still a very unproven point producer at the nhl level

your approach kinda was what the oilers were doing with mcdavid

how has that worked for them ?