The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Need to keep a couple around though, in the highly unlikely event of injuries. :ph34r:

Likely have one/both of Scaller/Spooner in Utica, as well as likely guys like Gaunce, MacEwan Jasek, Lind, possibly Lockwood and whatever other prospects/AHL guys are down there. And something like that lineup I posted above will allow guys like Leivo/Pearson/Virtanen etc to bump up to the top 6 in case of injuries and Sutter and Roussel can easily play up at 3rd line as well as Motte subbing in from 13th.

There's a fair bit of injury insulation there.

Edited by aGENT

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

seriously

am curious

is there any basis at all

to the suggestion loui might retire ?

really, why would he ? 

he gets paid guaranteed millions if he does not

JB said that his situation was going to be dealt with, but I don't know exactly what he has in mind. I do not expect to see Eriksson back next year, not with us at least.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:22 PM, BananaMash said:

Baertschi is also a significantly better passer. Goldobin has way higher creativity in the passes he attempts, but they don't tend to be very smart. It's like the Pettersson flair with very little idea how to execute on it tape to tape. Occasionally one goes through and it makes him look better than he's actually playing, though.

I really wish Sven didn't have all these concussion issues derail him. He's like a 45-50 point guy, but nobody else works as well with Horvat. He's also extremely stable in his role. Missed by the team big time, imo.

That fkin Hyka, ugh hate him. We're in a wildcard spot if that hit doesn't happen.

Sorry, I'm in the Goldy thread... I personally think we should retain him and give him another shot. I'm becoming very pro-russian. Maybe it's my 1/4 heritage coming thru. 

Edited by Western Red

1 hour ago, aliboy said:

JB said that his situation was going to be dealt with, but I don't know exactly what he has in mind. I do not expect to see Eriksson back next year, not with us at least.

That Benning comment intrigued me as well. Curious how he will manage this. Eriksson needs to go, no doubt. I suspect the Canucks will need to retain a nice chunk of salary in a deal. But hey, not coming out of my bank account lol I don't dislike Loui, and I think he's still a decent player, bit he's severely overpaid and his best days are behind him.  

I was surprised by Goldobin's lack of effort in yesterday's game. After being a healthy scratch for (5?) games. I would've thought he would be playing for his life given the opportunity. Does he not understand his NHL career is on the line? Or does he care? I never saw the effort. He hardly checked opponents. Occasionally he'd poke at a puck. I also don't recall him generating any offence either. There was one play where he was at the red line, while others battled for the puck along the boards. Goldy was waiting for a Canucks to get possession and then feed it to him. Well, the puck came loose, but by the time it got to him the whistle blew. lol  Goldobin was upset. He doesn't get it. He figures that if he scores a real perdy goal, that Green will love him again and all will be right. His game (away from the puck) needs a lot of work, and he isn't learning what's being taught. 

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I was surprised by Goldobin's lack of effort in yesterday's game. After being a healthy scratch for (5?) games. I would've thought he would be playing for his life given the opportunity. Does he not understand his NHL career is on the line? Or does he care? I never saw the effort. He hardly checked opponents. Occasionally he'd poke at a puck. I also don't recall him generating any offence either. There was one play where he was at the red line, while others battled for the puck along the boards. Goldy was waiting for a Canucks to get possession and then feed it to him. Well, the puck came loose, but by the time it got to him the whistle blew. lol  Goldobin was upset. He doesn't get it. He figures that if he scores a real perdy goal, that Green will love him again and all will be right. His game (away from the puck) needs a lot of work, and he isn't learning what's being taught. 

I'm wondering if he's had enough of Green.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

seriously

am curious

is there any basis at all

to the suggestion loui might retire ?

really, why would he ? 

he gets paid guaranteed millions if he does not

After his bonus is paid July 1, the vast majority of his contract will have been paid out. Up to him whether the last few million would be worth riding buses in Utica. I suspect they won't.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

After his bonus is paid July 1, the vast majority of his contract will have been paid out. Up to him whether the last few million would be worth riding buses in Utica. I suspect they won't.

His contract would be totally off the books in that case, right?

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

9 million dollars ?

you really think that is not worth it ?

redden played multiple years in the ahl

when the rangers demoted him

and if the canucks are prepared to do that to him

why wouldn't they just buy him out

would save them a lot of negative pr

Edited by coastal.view

11 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

9 million dollars ?

you really think that is not worth it ?

redden played multiple years in the ahl

when the rangers demoted him

and if the canucks are prepared to do that to him

why wouldn't they just buy him out

would save them a lot of negative pr

He'll have earned something like $56m over his career. $9m spread over 3 years to ride buses in Utica...

Maybe he goes for it, who knows? I'm just saying there's a strong possibility he decides he's made enough and would far prefer heading back to Sweden with his family and not grind out the last few years playing in the minors. He could probably even make a few mil of that back, playing in say the SHL, at home as well.

Because buying him out is of no cap advantage for them. And like I said, by all means, I'd imagine they'll try and do best by the player and for the organization and see if there's a cap basement team they could interest first (OTT, ARZ, CAR etc)

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He'll have earned something like $56m over his career. $9m spread over 3 years to ride buses in Utica...

Maybe he goes for it, who knows? I'm just saying there's a strong possibility he decides he's made enough and would far prefer heading back to Sweden with his family and not grind out the last few years playing in the minors. He could probably even make a few mil of that back, playing in say the SHL, at home as well.

Because buying him out is of no cap advantage for them. And like I said, by all means, I'd imagine they'll try and do best by the player and for the organization and see if there's a cap basement team they could interest first (OTT, ARZ, CAR etc)

I would think there would be some interest - 38% ozone starts, has played 75 games, 27 points with only 14 min average ice time. I can see some teams thinking they can get a little more out of him depending on the line. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I would think there would be some interest - 38% ozone starts, has played 75 games, 27 points with only 14 min average ice time. I can see some teams thinking they can get a little more out of him depending on the line. 

crossed-fingers-sign-of-the-cross-resemb

• Haha 1

Loui - He won't walk away from 9 million. Thinking otherwise is silly.

Anyway....about Goldy. Who knows if he will be back due to how he played this year. He clearly is not a reliable top 6 option and doesn't suit the bottom 6. Depends if the Canucks can somehow get some actual top 6 wingers this summer.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:54 AM, shad0w4life said:

He really should play like JV, just lose the puck at the blue line or fire it into a guys shin pads from far out, then quickly turn around and try and get it back and make it look like you're putting in a defensive effort...even though you caused the need for it.

So far it looks like Utica cannot develop any offensive talent, we don't have anyone with an offensive prowess, how's that not alarming people.

Gaudette, JV, Sautner, Gaunce, Lind, Jasek, Gadjovich, Palmu  all haven't done very well in AHL/NHL. This should be setting off red flags to mangement

While I agree with your concerns with our offensive woes, Gaudette was doing pretty good, 11 points in 14 games.

Frustrating player. If Goldobin was younger and just breaking into the NHL, then he could get a pass. But is this as good as it gets with him? Maybe it's a coaching issue? I'd hate for him to be traded to a team that treats him differently and he flourishes. He's definitely got skill, and speed. Are there other skilled players in the league who aren't concerned much with defense?