The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

We only have 3 offensive forwards on this team who should be on the top 6. 

I dont care if Goldy cherry picks and is a defensive liability, if he puts up points, great we dont have enough players who do that, the problem is he only gets close. 

Still would much rather hold on to him as he has some semblance of an idea of what to do with the puck in the O zone, unlike some of our higher touted guys

14 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Frustrating player. If Goldobin was younger and just breaking into the NHL, then he could get a pass. But is this as good as it gets with him? Maybe it's a coaching issue? I'd hate for him to be traded to a team that treats him differently and he flourishes. He's definitely got skill, and speed. Are there other skilled players in the league who aren't concerned much with defense?   

This is his first full season. He comes back he plays much better, he gets nothin. I can just see him thinking, come on coach, believe in me, but instead any mistake he makes is magnified like no one else on the team. We are in a rebuild, trying to develop young players, yet our coach has no patience for a highly skilled young player who is clearly still developing. He said recently that he gets nervous, but tries to stay calm, it's clear that he is still learning. The fact that we are in such a rush to give up on this player is beyond reason.

• Upvote 4

I think we’re too harsh on the guy, I’d give him another season before we cut him loose. 

It’s easy to say that Pettersson “boosts” his point totals when playing with him, but I honestly think Pettersson benefits from playing with such a like-minded player as well. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/26/2019 at 7:44 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

While I agree with your concerns with our offensive woes, Gaudette was doing pretty good, 11 points in 14 games.

But that wasn't due to Cull and staff, Gaudette naturally came in and produced points, and his stellar +1, which i'm not kidding about, that's 3rd highest of all forwards and the top forward had a +3.

I wouldn't say Utica developed him though, that was courtesy of his college coach.

About Goldy I've pointed it out before, JV shoots from any horrible position and has a low shots getting through and loses the puck but then skates back and somehow gets credit for it despite him being the sole reason for it. Yet Biega fails to clear a puck, skates right past the guy that picked it off, Goldy beats him back into the O zone but it's too late and they scored, he gets crucified for it as his fault.

Goldy seems to take way less high risk shots than some of our other young players which I don't mind as we don't need to hit anymore shin pads, he also got robbed a few times by goalies on GOTY plays, he really should have a few more  goals

Edited by shad0w4life

37 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Goldy seems to take way less high risk shots than some of our other young players which I don't mind as we don't need to hit anymore shin pads, he also got robbed a few times by goalies on GOTY plays, he really should have a few more  goals

If he could hit the net 80% of the time vs 30% he could have a lot more goals and the negativity that surrounds him would be much less.

If there is one thing he needs to improve upon in the off season it is his shot; both in velocity and accuracy

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If he could hit the net 80% of the time vs 30% he could have a lot more goals and the negativity that surrounds him would be much less.

If there is one thing he needs to improve upon in the off season it is his shot; both in velocity and accuracy

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Unfortunately, It's not just one thing.

“You have to have the want to get the puck to go into the corners and the hard areas,” said Sutter. “To do that, you have to have grit and balls and he has to find that.” Sutter got roasted for that comment even though it was true.

Goldy is still scared to go into the corners and battle for a puck. He is rarely at the net front without the puck. Flies by the corner with a quick reach in with his stick in the hopes of poking the puck loose. He won't screen the goalie and try for a close in rebound. Instead he floats on the far side hoping for the big rebound. Defensively, he stands around watching when he could engage with a stride or two towards the play. He got benched, then came back and continued with his soft play.

It's on him if he wants to be a full-time NHLer. I'm sure the coach has told him time and again what's expected of him. Hopefully it doesn't take a trade and a waive to get to him like it did with butt-Grabner.

• Upvote 1

Goldobin is in the dog house and it doesn't seem fair in a way. All of this pressure to change his game, yet others like Eriksson, Granlund and Virtanen can go through games without doing anything really well. Of course when the entire coaching staff is putting all of this pressure on him, it must be difficult to relax and play his game. He's probably so scared to make a mistake. Maybe there's an arrogance about Goldobin that rubs the coaches the wrong way? Of course, we wouldn't know. He's a really skilled player, but I rarely see him in the shootout. For some reason Green loves to put Granlund in instead. Then they're bouncing him up and down the lineup, not able to really gel with anyone. This is a highly skilled player with speed. I think they should've put him with Pettersson and Boeser from the beginning of the season and just kept him there. Let him learn, playing with the team's best players. 

Maybe Green dislikes Russians    

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Goldobin is in the dog house and it doesn't seem fair in a way. All of this pressure to change his game, yet others like Eriksson, Granlund and Virtanen can go through games without doing anything really well. Of course when the entire coaching staff is putting all of this pressure on him, it must be difficult to relax and play his game. He's probably so scared to make a mistake. Maybe there's an arrogance about Goldobin that rubs the coaches the wrong way? Of course, we wouldn't know. He's a really skilled player, but I rarely see him in the shootout. For some reason Green loves to put Granlund in instead. Then they're bouncing him up and down the lineup, not able to really gel with anyone. This is a highly skilled player with speed. I think they should've put him with Pettersson and Boeser from the beginning of the season and just kept him there. Let him learn, playing with the team's best players. 

I agree. They can say what they want about Goldobin, hes at least good for 3-4 scoring chances a night from either his shot or passing the puck. Can't say the same for Ericsson, Granlund Schaller or Spooner. I don't think ive seen any moments of significance from Spooner since he's been here, Granlund is his usual self which is doing nothing, and Ericsson was terrible tonight with that 2nd goal give away

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Green dislikes when players don't play with intensity nor with regard to defense. Goldobin has the skill but he must find the other aspects of his game to stay in this league.

There actually were a few games in a row there when he looked like he was getting it, but was benched shortly thereafter.

I like Goldobin.  He doesn't whine and complain about being in the doghouse.  I want to see him succeed.  But as time goes on, it increasingly seems not to be.

• Cheers 1

I think Goldy is almost exactly in Hutton's spot last year. He doesn't have a spot on this team right now and unless he works his butt off in the summer in preparation for training camp (like Hutty did), he's going to be in Utica or in the KHL.

• Like 1

I don’t think they’ll cut him loose due to the Tryamkin factor. Agree about the Hutton situation, hopefully he can come back next season and be a legit top 6 winger. Still think it was a weird time to scratch him. Was playing some of his most complete hockey and has hit as many posts as anyone in the league probably.

Goldy will never be a top 6 winger in the NHL. He doesn't have the motor for it. KYLE WELLWOOD comes to mind. He might get another look, at the same time we give another player a look. Insert failed player here-___________. He has shown less speed this year than he did last year, Maybe he is too scared to go with his instincts. If that is the case then a lot could be made of not having the right coach to mentor him. I am sure players are on too much of an edge to just play hockey. Early in the year we were winning games 6-5 but trying to tighten up. I am wondering if Green is a coach that won't have Hughes scared to make a mistake. Just saying!  

• Upvote 1

Like I said before, I defended him up until he started pouting on the ice and looking to the sky when his teammates wouldn't or couldn't get a pass to him.  You just don't do that at any level and I think that probably rubbed the whole team, let alone the coaches, the wrong way.  Even when other players talk about him off the ice it seemed like lip-service tbh.  Which sucks, I honestly think Petey might have 10 more points had Goldy played all this time.  But when Goldy started getting benched, then that one week bi-week, that was too much time not playing.