Scorevat

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

training camp has not yet taken place

dahlen has a ton of potential

and has a real chance to show his worth

i would not be surprised if he shows as much or more then goldy

the team needs a quality left winger who is consistent

dahlen has consistency as part of his game

i agree, but i'm ready to be proven wrong.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

I wouldn't mind giving Golobin a try with Pettersson during pre-season. 

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's got to actually show up this fall. No more 'potential'.

If he can do that, I think he'll get every opportunity at 1LW.

Goldobin, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson, Eriksson

Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen

Schaller(IR?)/Leipsic, Beagle, Granlund

Gagner, Leipsic

*Bolded can all move up/down the lineup.

I am sure that Goldy will get a look playing with Pettersson in pre-season and get a look playing with Horvat and Baertschi.

Hard to predict how it will work out.

One possibility is that Gagner plays center between Pettersson and someone else to start the season. I think Gaudette will get a look with Pettersson on the wing.

Good to hear Goldobin is working hard this summer. On the other hand, when was the last time a player said "Taking it easy this summer. Expect to play my way into shape once training camp starts."

Some players do that. Just no-one says it.

But Goldy certainly has a lot of incentive to be very focused as he is running out of chances. As aGent says, he has gone about as far he can on potential. Time to show what he can do.

But with Schaller likely starting the season on the IR or on a conditioning stint in Utica, that opens up the situation a bit.

Goldy's game reminds me a bit of William Karlsson with Vegas.   Interesting that Karlsson bumped around a bit and prior to this last year hitting 40 plus goals, he had 18 total NHL goals in over 180 NHL games.  It took him until the season he turned 25. 

Goldy is 22 and turns 23 this season and has 12 NHL goals over 61 games so far....

Goldy needs to show him belongs but it wouldn't shock me to see him break out. 

48 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Goldy's game reminds me a bit of William Karlsson with Vegas.   Interesting that Karlsson bumped around a bit and prior to this last year hitting 40 plus goals, he had 18 total NHL goals in over 180 NHL games.  It took him until the season he turned 25. 

Goldy is 22 and turns 23 this season and has 12 NHL goals over 61 games so far....

Not saying you are wrong but Karlsson earned his spot with Torts and Columbus as a defensive forward before he went to Vegas. Somehow I don’t see Goldy doing that ;-)

But agree on Goldys potential. 

22 minutes ago, J-P said:

Not saying you are wrong but Karlsson earned his spot with Torts and Columbus as a defensive forward before he went to Vegas. Somehow I don’t see Goldy doing that ;-)

But agree on Goldys potential. 

Yes and no....Torts doghoused him a few times for sure and tried him in different roles but always liked his speed and quick hands but wanted him to learn how to play the game the "right way".   I see that happening with Green and Goldy.   Quick guy, good hands and a need to figure out the rink is more than 90 feet long.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

180 - 61 = 119 games ... I know you're not making specific comparisons, but I don't think Goldy has a season and a half to become a hockey player. I'd say he's got about half a season to at least begin bridging the gap between "intriguing prospect" and whatever he's going to grow into - hopefully it'll be that break out you speak of!

Edited by nzan
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Goldy is a RFA at the end of this upcoming season; so if he really wants to cash in on any substantial hike in pay, he needs to bring it each and every shift in each and every game. If he does that he has the skill to easily be a top 6 forward. If he does not bring his A game to camp and all through the season then his chances of ever being a long term NHL'er are severely diminished. I would love to see him on the RW with Pettersson at C; and Roussel on LW to add both grit and net front presence. That could be one hell of a line if the chemistry is there IMO.

33 minutes ago, nzan said:

180 - 61 = 119 games ... I know you're not making specific comparisons, but I don't think Goldy has a season and a half to become a hockey player. I'd say he's got about half a season to at least begin bridging the gap between "intriguing prospect" and whatever he's going to grow into - hopefully it'll be that break out you speak of!

Why is everyone in such a rush?

24 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Goldy is a RFA at the end of this upcoming season; so if he really wants to cash in on any substantial hike in pay, he needs to bring it each and every shift in each and every game. If he does that he has the skill to easily be a top 6 forward. If he does not bring his A game to camp and all through the season then his chances of ever being a long term NHL'er are severely diminished. I would love to see him on the RW with Pettersson at C; and Roussel on LW to add both grit and net front presence. That could be one hell of a line if the chemistry is there IMO.

Schaller has been wheels and hands than Roussel and sufficient grit.   Consider that too as the LW option.

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Schaller has been wheels and hands than Roussel and sufficient grit.   Consider that too as the LW option.

I'm not so sure he has either better wheels or hands than Roussel. Roussel has been double digits in both goals and assists for 5 of the last 6 years. Given that they are similar in age, Roussel's lengthy record vs Schaller's one year in double digits IMO tips the scale heavily towards giving Roussel the first shot on that line. Many of his goals have been in the hard areas right in front of the crease either tip ins or bagging rebounds. With both Pettersson and Goldy on that line there could be a lot of them

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

good point - i just don't see him being given any more kid glove treatment from coaching or management - I think he's gonna be given another chance or two to show some urgency in his game, if it's still half-hearted play by the end of the year I think he'll be shown the door.

Goldy  could very well be our most creative player in terms of offense in the forward ranks.   

So much untap potential in Goldy, if he can just find that extra gear to outwork his opposition, man his talent is tantalizing and scary good. 

I've been impressed with how resilient this kid has been up to this point, how he hasn't complained or showed any sense of entitlement.  He has come in with an open mind, willingness to learn, and has taken the feedback like a pro.  Start of last season got sent down, and he just put his head down and worked hard.  I thought Trent Cull had a very good influence on him, balancing that tough love and nurturing Goldy into understanding what is expected of him.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Goldobin gets it.  He knows what he needs to work on and probably knows why it's important.  If he can master these pieces of the game he could be a force to be reckoned with.  I agree with him that his defensive work improved toward the end of the season.  It was good off and on the rest of the season, but his consistency improved toward the end of the season.  Being stronger on the puck is critical if he is to make the best of his creativity and become a scoring force.  He has a lot of other pieces of the puzzle already - passing, vision, stick handling, skating and shot.

On 2018-07-17 at 9:24 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I reeeaalllyy like that Goldobin is calling his number here saying he’s going to score 25 goals 

will he hit that number? Probably not. But it shows confidence and willingness that be picked a specific number. He can talk the talk, now he just has to show he can walk the walk. 

On 7/17/2018 at 8:37 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Good to hear that Goldy is focused. I think he's going to really surprise a lot of people this season. Highly doubt that Benning would trade away a player with talent like Goldobin when there are lesser players that could be traded.

One thing to hear it, another to see it. He made some strides last year but has to continue to improve on that. All the talent in the world won't make you great at hockey if you don't apply it.

On 7/17/2018 at 6:20 PM, nzan said:

On 7/17/2018 at 6:54 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't think it's necessarily the fans who are in a rush to see if Goldobin develops; it's more a case of him being under pressure to do so from the younger players who might push up from behind him.  I remember late last season during a broadcast, Garrett pointed out (correctly, IMO) that Goldobin did have an advantage of being ahead of some of the other young winger prospects like Dahlen and Lind, or even Pettersson should the Canucks start him off on the wing, but unless he can prove that he belongs as a regular, the younger players could overtake him on the depth chart.

So I think @nzan's quite correct with his assessment that Goldobin has half a season to prove he's ready to be an NHL regular.  If he doesn't, it's more than possible Dahlen or Lind might show enough in Utica that they'll earn chances to take his spot.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Undrafted said:

I don't think it's necessarily the fans who are in a rush to see if Goldobin develops; it's more a case of him being under pressure to do so from the younger players who might push up from behind him.  I remember late last season during a broadcast, Garrett pointed out (correctly, IMO) that Goldobin did have an advantage of being ahead of some of the other young winger prospects like Dahlen and Lind, or even Pettersson should the Canucks start him off on the wing, but unless he can prove that he belongs as a regular, the younger players could overtake him on the depth chart.

So I think @nzan's quite correct with his assessment that Goldobin has half a season to prove he's ready to be an NHL regular.  If he doesn't, it's more than possible Dahlen or Lind might show enough in Utica that they'll earn chances to take his spot.

Yes and no.   Management need to look at each player' development with a different timetable.   It could be Goldy is going to take longer than some OR it could be his ceiling is already close - that is a tough call but one that coaches/management need to sort out.   If the former, give him another year at least but if not, time to move on.