The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Zack MacEwen [3 year ELC]

39 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

QMJHL generally has more scoring than the WHL so Lucic's numbers are more impressive in that comparison.

They're pretty similar numbers though, which is good sign. I doubt MacEwen is as good of a player but still. Hopefully he can start next season in Utica. 

good signing - see where he goes - doesn't hurt to stockpile the cupboards

I think a few of the above posters are correct with the need to get some grit on the forward lines.  We can't afford our D to be taking penalties  and leaving the D group playing 5 deep for 2 to - however many minutes at a time

I believe Benning  knows  we need to be tougher on the front end and I think slowly it is coming together - gonna be interesting to see where we end up draft day

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Canucks recently picked up two physical players. No more softness from this team anymore. We got Tram, Guddy, Virtanen, Dorsett, Labate, Pedan, Cramarossa and now the newest addition to the team Zack MacEwen. Almost everyone but Dorsett are young and have lots of pontential to be great players for this team!

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And aside from Virtanen, Dorsett, and Cramarossa, these boys are huge!

Starting to realize who was the "real" architect of those Bruins Teams..

Definitely not Sweeney.

Like that JB is stacking some bigger bodies,. Too bad Willie doesn't know how to play them. 

28 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

There's a lot of details lacking here. What type of contract is he signed to? How much was he signed for etc etc etc.

It's a 3-year ELC. 

The specifics will likely get leaked over the next 48 hours and we'll get details posted on the salary websites.

But if I'm guessing, it's probably in the 675-750K range with a 60-70K AHL salary. Maybe a 10% signing bonus. And minimal performance bonuses attached.

As long as we are alright for contracts fine, but I think he will have trouble sticking in the AHL nevermind play in the NHL. 

Mallet, Laplante, Anthony etc all similar or better numbers and couldn't stay up in the AHL. 

PC Labrie didn't have a tonne of fights in the Q and similar numbers to ZackMac and he carved out a solid AHL career with 44 NHL games under his belt. Labrie became a fighter which helped him stick around. Heck he even scored 20 goals in the AHL last year, but has 0 in 44 this year. 

So I guess if ZackMac turns into a PC Labrie that would be considered a win. 

1 hour ago, Mattrek said:

There's a lot of details lacking here. What type of contract is he signed to? How much was he signed for etc etc etc.

It's a standard 3 year ELC, which obviously won't kick in until he plays a pro game.

NHL Minimum salary is $525,000

AHL salary will be between $35,000 - $70,000

There's not much else to it with a fringe player. Highly regarded players get bonus clauses etc. but that's not going to apply here. 

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It's a 3-year ELC. 

The specifics will likely get leaked over the next 48 hours and we'll get details posted on the salary websites.

But if I'm guessing, it's probably in the 675-750K range with a 60-70K AHL salary. Maybe a 10% signing bonus. And minimal performance bonuses attached.

My reply was on a different thread that had no details, so I didn't see that. Thanks! My bet is you're probably right.

Archived