The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Yakupov?

20 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

You said "another" insinuating that Goldy was one as well. Must be more clear bruh. 

Yeah my bad. When I said another I was thinking of Baertschi, Granlund, Boucher, Shore, Kassian to some extent, and that all of these guys have had their struggles at some point or are continuing to struggle staying at an NHL level. I think we have enough of those "Too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL" types in our roster. I mean we have some of those ourselves like Gaunce, Grenier, Labate etc, but the difference is that these guys are our own guys we've groomed. I don't want to bring other team's or else it creates an unnecessary logjam.

Yakupov after being traded, is still struggling mightily and can't even crack the Blues line up regularly. 

6 hours ago, ajhockey said:

I would only be interested if he's willing to sign a 2-way deal, which I doubt he is. The way he's playing, he's earning a ticket to the AHL. Perhaps he needs the Jake treatment and a year or two in the minors.

Two-way deals doesn't make the player waivers ineligible if that's what you're thinking. Two-way deal only prevents the player from being paid NHL money in the AHL. Usually the contract stipulates how much the player will make in the AHL(let's say player X makes $95,000 in the AHL) and if he is promoted to the NHL his salary increases(player x making $95,000 in the AHL now makes $735,000 in the NHL). 

See how that works? The two-way deals as far as I know don't make a difference with the cap either. 

Btw, if you already knew that that's how two-way deal works and you just don't want the Canucks paying lots of money for a guy that's riding the pine in the AHL I totally get it and apologize if i came off as condescending 

Just now, morrissex95 said:

Two-way deals doesn't make the player waivers ineligible if that's what you're thinking. Two-way deal only prevents the player from being paid NHL money in the AHL. Usually the contract stipulates how much the player will make in the AHL(let's say player X makes $95,000 in the AHL) and if he is promoted to the NHL his salary increases(player x making $95,000 in the AHL now makes $735,000 in the NHL). 

See how that works? The two-way deals as far as I know don't make a difference with the cap either. 

Btw, if you already knew that that's how two-way deal works and you just don't want the Canucks paying lots of money for a guy that's riding the pine in the AHL I totally get it and apologize if i came off as condescending 

I did know about the two-way thing, but was once upon a time fooled by EA sports like so many others. I wasn't sure about the cap thing though until I looked further into it today. Given that we can't even take him off the team's cap hit, I would only sign him for an extremely cheap amount, probably under $2M per.

2 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I did know about the two-way thing, but was once upon a time fooled by EA sports like so many others. I wasn't sure about the cap thing though until I looked further into it today. Given that we can't even take him off the team's cap hit, I would only sign him for an extremely cheap amount, probably under $2M per.

Can we still give performance bonuses to below 35 players? If we can, I'd give Yak a performance-laden deal. 

The perfect landing spot for Yakupov IMO is in Montreal with his former junior linemate Alex Galchenyuk 

Just now, morrissex95 said:

Can we still give performance bonuses to below 35 players? If we can, I'd give Yak a performance-laden deal. 

The perfect landing spot for Yakupov IMO is in Montreal with his former junior linemate Alex Galchenyuk 

I can't recall for certain, but I think they are reserved for ELCs and over 35 year olds. Horvat has at least one on his current deal.

I think Yak has the potential to still be a top 6 forward. He just needs to get the confidence back in his game - a team with a good leadership core and coach. 

Imo he would do well in Chicago, San Jose, New York, Montreal, Pitts. I would probably also add Toronto, Ottawa, and Columbus to the mix.

18 minutes ago, canucks.bradley said:

I think Yak has the potential to still be a top 6 forward. He just needs to get the confidence back in his game - a team with a good leadership core and coach. 

Imo he would do well in Chicago, San Jose, New York, Montreal, Pitts. I would probably also add Toronto, Ottawa, and Columbus to the mix.

Torts and Yak would be a recipe for disaster. 

OH man, I hope so. I watched Yak play in Sarnia for some time. kid has hands, and is explosive. much better than galchenyuk was. and I'll say WAS. ha.  from reading here.. if we can figure out how to get him training consistently, and maybe becoming buddys with Mr. T Rex could build up his confidence again. who knows what the reasons are that he hasn't succeeded yet. but I believe his ceiling is still high given the right opportunity/situation to excell. I was hoping we would try for him when Edmonton was selling. can't hurt to have competition in the ranks. however the deal happens. I'd defiantly be a happy camper

Reid Boucher, a guy we picked up waivers for free, has 4 goals 7 points in 29 games.

Yak, 36 games 3 goals 3 assists.

Yak might have been great in junior. But he is a shadow of himself in the NHL. 

Let him ply his trade at the KHL. Or get his chance for the Vegas Golden Shower.  

I think the former 1st overall can be had for a literal song and I have little interest

But I will say deep down a part of me enjoys the idea of him eating passes from Horvat/VIlardi/Mittlestadt burning up the wing and torching Talbot while Oilers fans weep at what we did to their former 1st overall to make him successful

With all the complaints about Benning signing guys like Chaput, Megna,Skille and the like why does it seem every couple of months somebody brings up this duds name. Being #1 or even going in the first round sometimes means nothing, do the names Alexander Daigle, Patrick Stefan ring any bells. Going by the logic of signing or trading for Yak we should have chased these two years ago. Sometimes guys just cant adjust to the bigs.A dud is a dud no matter what position he was drafted in.

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

If you're just giving a late pick, why not?  We do need to ice a full roster.  Would you rather watch Megna stink up the joint for another season?

Yakupov 6 points in 35 games.

Megna 8 points in 53 games.

So if Megna is stinking up the joint wouldn't the smell from Yak be just as bad? @Hutton Wink said it best. Forget the fresh start bit. Yak is terrible, no one will trade for him St Louis will let him become a free agent. I wouldn't be surprised if he is done in the nhl.

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yakupov 6 points in 35 games.

Megna 8 points in 53 games.

So if Megna is stinking up the joint wouldn't the smell from Yak be just as bad? @Hutton Wink said it best. Forget the fresh start bit. Yak is terrible, no one will trade for him St Louis will let him become a free agent. I wouldn't be surprised if he is done in the nhl.

Okay we'll take him -- at an Iginla deal (effectively free) on a two-way at league minimum.  Bring him to camp, then if when he fails just waive him to Utica or see if someone else takes him.  Final offer! ;)

Archived