The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal/Discussion] The Plan

Posters in here that compare Tanev's value to Larsson's need to watch Larsson play. Larsson was a 4th overall pick, he is 6"3 and 205 lbs, he is a very physical defenceman (currently 7th in the NHL in hits), he is 27th in blocked shots (better than any Canuck),at 24 years old he is three years younger than Tanev and yet to reach his potential. Klefbom and Larsson actually form a pretty good #1 pairing for the Oilers (unfortunately).

IMHO Larsson's trade value is significantly higher than Tanev's (again, unfortunately).

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I accept your opinion, but feel (considering the Hall trade setting the price for proven d) both these trades - in that market - are fair.  

You need to stop with the "hall deal set the market" stuff.  There has been a ton of desks involving defenceman since that went down and none returned a player close to Hall. The Edmonton situation was unique and the decided they were in a position to overpay for a player they wanted.  It was an exception. Not the norm.

3 hours ago, Doogie said:

Buffalo "can" get a top pairing  defensemen but who's going to trade their top pairing defensemen for Reinhart. 

Top pairing defensemen is what every team needs to contend for the cup. They come at a premium. Would you trade Keith, Doughty, OEL, or Hedman and "more" for Reinhart? 

With this offer Buffalo gets a great penalty killer, great faceoff man, you solidify their backend; they have Ristolainen (top-pairing defensemen), McCabe, Bogosian, Kulikov, Franson, and now add Sbisa to the mix. The two 2nd's one of which is basically a late first and your telling me they wouldn't go for that offer. 

But who's going to trade an elite young center/winger for Sutter?

5 hours ago, Doogie said:

I believe we should trade Sbisa, Sutter and our two 2nd's (I'm pretty sure Columbus will give us the 2nd this year because next year is a deeper draft) for Reinhart. In Sutter, they are getting a great PK and face off guy and with Sbisa it helps solidify their defence. Now you add in the two seconds, one of which is going to be between the 32-36 picks and I believe this could be a good hockey trade that helps both teams. We may need to take some salary back but that shouldn't be a problem. 

To Canucks:

Sam Reinhart

(Salary offset)

To Buffalo:

Sutter

Sbisa

2nd round pick (Canucks)

2nd round pick (Columbus)

I think signing Eriksson was a mistake, the pressure of producing with the Sedins or just producing in general has gotten to him. Like Vrbata, I think he would better produce on a different team. Trade him to whoever and for whatever you can get for him. Or maybe ask him to waive his NMC and expose him in the expansion draft and make a deal with Vegas to take Eriksson. 

If not, then this would leave Gaunce, Biega, and Bachman exposed for the draft and I think Vegas takes Gaunce. (I know we need to expose 2 forwards but I'm not sure who else would be eligible)

Now as as for the draft I believe the Canucks should target Liljegren. This would help solidify our defence for the future. Joulevi, Liljegren, Hutton, Gudbranson, Tryamkin and Stecher - a good mix of size and skill. With the addition of Liljegren I believe we can now go ahead and trade Tanev, think Larsson for Hall. The player I'm hoping the Canucks should target is Max Domi. The Coyotes have come out and said they want help on the right side for OEL and Tanev would complement the offensive Ekman-Larsson perfectly.  However, I do think Arizona should add to the trade because Tanev is an established top pairing defensive-defenseman where as Max Domi isn't quite there just yet. 

To Canucks:

Max Domi

(Pick)

To Arizona:

Tanev

Lineup

Domi  - Reinhart  -  ?

Baertschi - Horvat -  Granlund 

Sedin - Sedin - ?

Cramarossa - Chaput - Dorsett

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson 

Tryamkin - ? 

50/50 Split

Miller (Assuming re-signed)

Markstrom

Now we are left with Goldobin, Boeser, Virtanen, Subban or a stop gap UFA Defensemen to fill in the ?'s. If Virtanen needs another season in Utica I'm all for it; he's been playing pretty well lately and hopefully with another year in Utica his offence picks up. Add Dahlen, Gaudette, Joulevi, Liljegren, Demko and our 2018 1st round pick to the mix and the future looks bright. 

What do you guys think?

Hey Doogie,

I like where you are going with this.

I 100% agree on targeting Reinhart and Domi, they would fit very nicely into our rebuild.

But the problem is that I don't believe ARI will let Domi go for anything other than a massive overpayment. We cannot afford that right now.

And Sbisa + Sutter + 2nd is not enough for BUF to give up Reinhart.

I don't believe VAN has the trading pieces to afford both Reinhart and Domi.

My preference is to go HARD at Reinhart and fill wing spots via internal development and free agency.

If Tim Murray did that deal, he should be fired on the spot.

NO WAY Buffalo gives up on a 2nd Overall pick from just 3 yrs ago (who scored 23 goals in his first pro season and is following it up with an even better year point-wise) for some Canucks scraps and a couple 2nd rounders. 

BUF would, or at least SHOULD, want Boeser, Hutton and our 1st Rd pick this year. 

As for the Tanev deal, that would be one that might work. And I'd love it as a Canuck fan. Domi would reunite with Horvat, & the team would have its 1-2 punch at C. 

I personally want to see a Tanev for William Nylander deal. And then I'd circle back to BUF and try to pry Alex Nylander too. See if they'd be dumb enough to take a package with Gudbranson. I don't wanna give up on a Hutton, but I'd have to think long and hard about the prospects of adding a Alex Nylander, ESP if they could pull off the Tanev deal for his brother. 

32 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

You think Sutter is scraps? Not a chance. Sbisa may not work but Sutter + a d man and 2 2nds is a good deal for Buffalo

Buffalo would likely love Sutter too.  Then they would have a right hand draw, 200 foot, centre to go with ROR.  I think Reinhart has been playing wing, when in the top six, because he struggles on the defensive side of the game.

19 hours ago, Doogie said:

To Canucks:

Sam Reinhart

(Salary offset)

To Buffalo:

Sutter

Sbisa

2nd round pick (Canucks)

2nd round pick (Columbus)

No more trading 2nd round picks. K thanks

To Canucks:

Max Domi

(Pick)

To Arizona:

Tanev

Dont think Arizona wants to move a young forward like Max Domi. So I don't think that would work

Or maybe ask him to waive his NMC and expose him in the expansion draft and make a deal with Vegas to take Eriksson. 

How would that conversation go.

Jim: Hey, We don't want you on our team anymore. You know that NMC we signed you to, scratch it your going to Vegas.

Loui: Hey Jim. Great Talk. Im going to stay here and slum it up for a few years. Keep the pay cheques coming.

Domi  - Reinhart  -  ?

Baertschi - Horvat -  Granlund 

Sedin - Sedin - ?

Cramarossa - Chaput - Dorsett

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson 

Tryamkin - ? 

50/50 Split

Miller (Assuming re-signed)

Markstrom

Besser?

Juolevi?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Buffalo would likely love Sutter too.  Then they would have a right hand draw, 200 foot, centre to go with ROR.  I think Reinhart has been playing wing, when in the top six, because he struggles on the defensive side of the game.

Buffalo would love Sutter. Just not as the main piece in a deal for Reinhart.

I have said this to you many times my friend: The only opportunity we had to trade for Reinhart was trading up in the draft. Unless we want to give up Horvat or some combination of highly valued young assets.

Look what Murray wants for Kane who is a douche. Think what he would want for Reinhart.

5 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

You think Sutter is scraps? Not a chance. Sbisa may not work but Sutter + a d man and 2 2nds is a good deal for Buffalo

Not on a team that has trouble scoring when the player being traded away is one of their leaders offensively it's not.

6 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Trade places with Buffalo for a second.

Would you trade Bo Horvat for a 3rd line center, a 5th/6th dman and a couple of 2nds?

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Not on a team that has trouble scoring when the player being traded away is one of their leaders offensively it's not.

Balance......You see why Edmonton is doing well now besides McDiavid, its balance and Sutter would give Buffalo Balance

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Trade places with Buffalo for a second.

Would you trade Bo Horvat for a 3rd line center, a 5th/6th dman and a couple of 2nds?

If I had the talent Buffalo had maybe I would, Sutter is more then a 3rd line center and I think Sbisa is looking much better of late and could be a 4-5 man and possibly a top 4 if he continues to improve. Sometimes you make a trade like the Larson/Hall that looks bad from the beginning but you see later on  it was a move that had to be made regardless of how it looked.

22 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

If I had the talent Buffalo had maybe I would, Sutter is more then a 3rd line center and I think Sbisa is looking much better of late and could be a 4-5 man and possibly a top 4 if he continues to improve. Sometimes you make a trade like the Larson/Hall that looks bad from the beginning but you see later on  it was a move that had to be made regardless of how it looked.

- Buffalo would likely have many suitors for Reinhart that would offer a lot more than the package suggested.

- Sutter is a 3rd line center. He was a 3rd line center on the Pens, and he's a 3rd line center here.

- Sbisa has taken some strides this season, but he's still a bottom pairing guy on any half decent team.

- The Larson/Hall deal is still ridiculously one sided.

On 2017-03-23 at 6:35 PM, Doogie said:

Buffalo "can" get a top pairing  defensemen but who's going to trade their top pairing defensemen for Reinhart. 

Top pairing defensemen is what every team needs to contend for the cup. They come at a premium. Would you trade Keith, Doughty, OEL, or Hedman and "more" for Reinhart? 

With this offer Buffalo gets a great penalty killer, great faceoff man, you solidify their backend; they have Ristolainen (top-pairing defensemen), McCabe, Bogosian, Kulikov, Franson, and now add Sbisa to the mix. The two 2nd's one of which is basically a late first and your telling me they wouldn't go for that offer. 

You have Tanev going for Domi in your proposal. You said in your post that Tanev is a top-pairing dman...so its OK to trade a top pairing dman for Domi but not for Reinhart?...Just a huge contradiction...

Archived