The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign NCAA FA Griffen Molino

Derp...

He's supposed to be really fast, and was named Bauer National Collegiate Hockey Conference Offensive Player of the Week (earlier this month) after totaling six points in a 2 game split with No. 2 Minnesota-Duluth. 

Attended Detroit's camp last year as an invite (in a year when they scaled back their number of invitees compared to previous camps): http://mihockeynow.com/2016/07/griffen-molino-takes-red-wings-development-camp-in-stride/

Profiled as one of the top 2017 NCAA free agents: http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/03/07/top-2017-college-hockey-free-agents-part-3/

Griffen Molino, Left Wing, Western Michigan Broncos; Sophomore (6’0″ 185 lbs) Shoots Left

The 23-year-old native of Trenton, Michigan has had a solid sophomore season for the Broncos, putting up 13 goals and 28 points in 34 games. Molino is a solid skater, with good speed and accleration as well as solid balance. He is a strong player in all three zones, battling for loose pucks. He is a committed backchecker who supports the defence down low. Molino generates offense through his speed, forcing defenders to back off or risk getting blown by. Molino also has a decent shot, with a good release.

• -SN- changed the title to [Signing] Canucks Sign NCAA FA Griffen Molino
8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Attended Detroit's camp last year as an invite (in a year when they scaled back their number of invitees compared to previous camps): http://mihockeynow.com/2016/07/griffen-molino-takes-red-wings-development-camp-in-stride/

lol @ Benning poaching Detroits interests

(Chatfield was at Wings camp last year as well)

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Nice of Biech to just $&!# all over him.

I really like Biech as bloggers go, but he totally missed the point of this signing. He's there for Utica, not for Vancouver.

Two tough losses for the Comets, where they played three games in three nights (I think). The teams needs bodies. Biech should recognize the purpose of the signing and frame his tweets accordingly instead of thinking that the NHL context is how we should evaluate this signing.

I like it. It seems to me he is a versatile winger/centre. Free prospect is always great  I and it's nice padding for the prospect pool. Still hoping that the Canucks will sign Spencer Foo from Union. They could use another centre prospect.

Probably spells the end of Grenier, Zalewski, and Rendulic in the organization after this year. Zalewski will probably stick around Utica on an AHL deal, though.

2 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

This means they are up to 49 players signed, one spot left.... who is it gonna be.....

I assume Molino's contract doesn't kick in until 2017. I bet we'll hear that he'll report to Utica on an ATO for the rest of the season/playoffs.

Archived