The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

A Russian-language interview appears to suggest that ice time was part of Tryamkin’s reasoning for leaving.

Here’s the exchange, with the help of Google Translate:

INTERVIEWER: At one of the recent press conferences, you said that “they just wanted to play hockey.” Your transition to “Motorist” is associated with the desire to get more gaming practice?

TRYAMKIN: Yes. During the season I was not happy with some matches. Sometimes I just did not understand – why? I could play 20 minutes, I could play 16, I could play 12. And on what it depended, I did not understand. So, having arrived in the “Motorist”, I continue to work. I have gained colossal experience both in the hall and on the ice. I want to improve. And, as I said, I do not think this is a step back.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/nikita-tryamkin-leaving-canucks-signs-khl-2017

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

Look at his interview and read between the lines. It was obvious that management was saying one thing and WD was doing another. 

It is not just you but many others that assume Tram was telling the truth and whole truth about the situation. He may have been telling the truth, from his perspective, maybe not.

Also translation errors work both ways- it can not be claimed that the Canucks didn't communicate with him, with out mentioning that they probably did communicate with him and he merely misunderstood.

Same thing with this latest news article- translation errors work both ways.

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

He had an agreement with the Canucks that he would either play in the NHL or go back to the KHL. He even says in the interview (unclear translation) that they chose not to send him back to Russia. It seems like he was prepared to head back when he was being sat out. I don't see how that makes him a baby, he made it clear from the beginning that he had no desire to play in the AHL. The message from his side seems pretty clear and consistent, play me or send me back to Russia. They didn't play him enough in the end.

Being sat out wasn't a violation of his his contract nor a condition that allowed him to go back to the KHL. He was collecting his NHL salary. They weren't asking him to play in the AHL as a demotion nor a long term gig. He showed up in poor shape and they asked him to go on a conditioning stint. Which would have gotten him playing sooner. Yes, he was a big baby for not doing it if he really wanted to play. A self entitled baby. NHL veterans go on AHL conditioning stints.

I'll say it again, just under 17 minutes per game is pretty good for a first year d-man that showed up to camp in poor shape.

9 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

A Russian-language interview appears to suggest that ice time was part of Tryamkin’s reasoning for leaving.

Here’s the exchange, with the help of Google Translate:

INTERVIEWER: At one of the recent press conferences, you said that “they just wanted to play hockey.” Your transition to “Motorist” is associated with the desire to get more gaming practice?

TRYAMKIN: Yes. During the season I was not happy with some matches. Sometimes I just did not understand – why? I could play 20 minutes, I could play 16, I could play 12. And on what it depended, I did not understand. So, having arrived in the “Motorist”, I continue to work. I have gained colossal experience both in the hall and on the ice. I want to improve. And, as I said, I do not think this is a step back.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/nikita-tryamkin-leaving-canucks-signs-khl-2017

High maintenance, if you're grumbling and not happy.  Be happy you're there, with a group of guys/teammates who all are striving to make the team the best.  Not "you" the best.  

"I want to improve" seems to indicate that he is a work in progress, and understands that.  So to demand he play to improve (himself) rather than accept that the team all needs to improve is self centered.  I ain't got time for that.

Love him, am sad...but life goes on and the sky isn't falling.  We'll be fine.  And, if we don't believe that, that speaks volumes about putting all eggs into one basket.  He isn't the be all to end all here...he was going to be a part of that, that's all.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

For people whining about Tryamkin's ice time, have a look at the objective reality of how much he played.  I think you're protesting too much. 

https://www.nhl.com/player/nikita-tryamkin-8477997?stats=gamelogs-r-nhl&season=20162017

That actually just proves exactly what Tryamkin was saying in his interview. One night he could be playing over 21 minutes of ice time, the next only 12 minutes. 

1 minute ago, Salmonberries said:

I wonder if Goldy bolts too when his deal is done. He seemed even more unhappy here than Tryamkin.

Not sure. He stuck it out in juniors and the AHL for SJ. If he's given minutes, then he'll stay. Watching clips from his SJ days, his personality and such is still the same as you see today.

He definitely likes the North American life according to this Twitter.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Because some men act on man club pride and don't like to admit that a wife is the driving force behind their decision making.  This is speculation on my part, but he just got married and his focus is probably there, first and foremost.  So if she wants to be at home, I'd imagine that's what he wants too.

And if she is expecting, as an earlier poster said, going back to Russia would be a natural.  Babushkas (grandmothers) play an important role in Russian kids' lives, especially in the hinterlands, and Ekaterinburg isn't Moscow  (and, yes, I have been to both cities). Formerly Sverdslovsk, it was where Stalin moved the Soviet Union's tank production during WW2, and it remains a heavy industrialized city now.  Little English is spoken there, unlike Moscow or St Petersburg, so it is hardly surprising that when he arrived in Vancouver as a shy, raw, 21 year old misfit, he felt out of place.

And if she is indeed expecting, then don't expect to see him back in N. America in 5 years, as that is then the crucial time for the Babushkas to exert their influence on the kid(s).

2 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

That actually just proves exactly what Tryamkin was saying in his interview. One night he could be playing over 21 minutes of ice time, the next only 12 minutes. 

And maybe Willie told him after every game exactly why his ice time varied from game to game, perhaps Tram didn't like it but there is no proof he was not told.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

High maintenance, if you're grumbling and not happy.  Be happy you're there, with a group of guys/teammates who all are striving to make the team the best.  Not "you" the best.  

"I want to improve" seems to indicate that he is a work in progress, and understands that.  So to demand he play to improve (himself) rather than accept that the team all needs to improve is self centered.  I ain't got time for that.

You think they were low balling him on dollars Deb? Somehow I think it all boils down to dollars in the end.

Granted he'd rather live in Ekaterinburg than Vancouver but a fistfull of dollars would have cured that homesickness I think maybe.

17 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, how is that fair?  If a team builds chemistry, works hard and "gets competitive", and he wants to waltz back in.  Seems to me he should start all over again and prove that he deserves to be there if that is the case.

I don't like making "a" player into a big deal, one who demands or expects things.  I like the team to be comprised of players who do work hard and earn it.  He is big and showed some promise but, beyond that, he hasn't really done that yet.

... the same way we handled Kassian.

We take the Coaches word on a player,. and not read into the frustration of a player not being able to understand his Coach? 

There is more to a picture than the frame it is put in.

4 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

You think they were low balling him on dollars Deb? Somehow I think it all boils down to dollars in the end.

Granted he'd rather live in Ekaterinburg than Vancouver but a fistfull of dollars would have cured that homesickness I think maybe.

I don't think so. 

He just got married and misses home -  I suspect that's the driving force.  If it's about money, even more reason to cut the ties because players that play for love of the game/passion generally have more longevity and a better work ethic than those wanting to cash in and out.

2 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

I think he has some growing up to do. Anyways he'll probably be back in a few years when were good again?..............Hopefully?

Yeah, maybe he'll return, but I'm not holding my breath. As far as I'm concerned, he's gone for good. He obviously didn't like playing for the Canucks. Shows up at camp out of shape and expects to get top minutes. He was close-minded about developing in the AHL, had his ego bruised when he sat out, and thought he deserved more without proving anything. Canucks need players who are maturing and have good character (Horvat, Boeser, etc), not a giant whiny baby who needs to be coddled. The NHL is a big boy league.

17 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm going by the translations like everyone else. Show me where he is demanding more ice time. I said that it sounds to me like he was confused as to the reasons for the discrepancies in his ice time.

That is how I read it too.

Look at the season game logs and his ice time is all over the map.  It seems to have no relation to how he played the game before.

This was a theme for WD with a lot of players.  He decided how he wanted to deploy players and stayed with that regardless of results.  It was the opposite of earning ice time.  

He trusted fringe players who regularly had terrible games or contributed nothing for long stretches.  Other players were in the doghouse and couldn't earn ice time no matter what.

Just now, HomeBrew said:

You don't think ice time would depend on in game circumstances? Or who is in the line-up and who's injured?  What's the score? How about the number of PP's versus the number of PK's in a game? All of these thing will cause fluctuations in ice time from game to game. Top pair typically gets the most consistent ice time. You ask me he sounds kind of stupid if he expected 20 minutes every game. Or maybe we're just back to self entitled.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

And maybe Willie told him after every game exactly why his ice time varied from game to game, perhaps Tram didn't like it but there is no proof he was not told.

WD was fired for his mishandling of our roster. Tryamkin comes out to say his icetime was not communicated. There is more "evidence" to prove that is the case, than against it - which there is zero. 

This was supposed to be a happy day with the Flames getting bounced last night and Toronto's season fading. 

This was a major blow to our organization no matter how you look at it. Defenseman that size and with so much upside don't come very often.

Archived