The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Selke Trophy finalists unveiled

2017 Selke Trophy  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cut.jpg

Boston Bruins center Patrice Bergeron, Anaheim Ducks center Ryan Kesler and Minnesota Wild center Mikko Koivu were named finalists for the Selke Trophy on Wednesday, awarded annually to the NHL's best defensive forward.

The winner will be announced at the 2017 NHL Awards at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on June 21 (7:30 p.m. ET; NBCSN, SN).

Bergeron, 31, is a three-time Selke Trophy winner (2012, 2014, 2015) and a six-time finalist. He led the League in SAT percentage (61.10) among players with at least 40 games. He led the League in faceoff wins (1,089) and was third in winning percentage (60.1) among players to take at least 500 faceoffs. His 302 shots on goal were the second most of his NHL career and third in the NHL. His 53 points (21 goals, 32 assists) in 79 games were fourth on the Bruins. He was second to Los Angeles Kings center Anze Kopitar in 2016. The only player to win the Selke four times is Hockey Hall of Fame member Bob Gainey.

Kesler, 32, won the Selke with the Vancouver Canucks in 2011 and is a five-time finalist. His 1,029 faceoff wins were third in the League and an NHL career high. He also ranked third in time on ice among forwards (21:18) and sixth in faceoff percentage (57.4 percent, minimum 500 faceoffs). His 58 points (22 goals, 36 assists) were second on the Ducks. He was third in Selke voting in 2016.

Koivu, 34, is a first-time finalist who finished fourth in Selke voting in 2009. He set NHL career-highs in plus/minus (plus-27) and blocked shots (65), and won 55.2 percent of his faceoffs. His 58 points (18 goals, 40 assists) were third on the Wild.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-announces-selke-trophy-finalists/c-288931932

I often do an in-depth analysis of the numbers, but haven't done so this year. Last year, Bergeron was my pick if I recall correctly. He does so many things so well. If I find the time, maybe I'll look more into the numbers eventually.

Minnesota was maybe the biggest surprise of regular season with Bluejackets. Gotta pick Koivu for this one especially because he has never won Selke unlike Kesler and Bergeron. And as a 34 yearold he wont have many opportunities anymore. Bit underrated player for his whole career.

2 hours ago, DallasDrake said:

Minnesota was maybe the biggest surprise of regular season with Bluejackets. Gotta pick Koivu for this one especially because he has never won Selke unlike Kesler and Bergeron. And as a 34 yearold he wont have many opportunities anymore. Bit underrated player for his whole career.

Awards aren't handed out on sentimentality though. It's a straight fight between Bergeron and Kesler - my money is on Bergeron, who beats Kesler in overall stats in most categories and only falls behind when you look at things like defensive zone draws / PK ice time. Both are great, but this NHL loves it some Patrice Bergeron.

Unfortunately I don't believe the right person was nominated.  The best defensive centre this season was Crosby, combined with his offence he deserves the Lester B Pearson as well, but the Hart should go to McDavid

I just did an in-depth look at the statistics. Kesler's year was heavily overrated based on what I found. Koivu had a decent year, so he's not the worse candidate. But by far the best candidate is Patrice Bergeron. I looked at 35 different players and Bergeron's consistency across several defensive stats is incredible. If he doesn't run away with this award, it'll be criminal.

Archived