The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign Jonathan Dahlen to 3-year ELC

Interesting timing. Glad to see him coming over. Already a dark horse for training camp

benning - ahh shoot I better something 

*calls Dalen agent*

benning - here's a blank cheque write any amount you want and we'll pay it

agent - done 

1 minute ago, VanIslander89 said:

Just read on Twitter he has an out clause back to Sweden if he doesn't make the main roster.... There goes that for Utica...

He can choose to go back to Sweden or play in Utica. Chances are, he will stay and develop his game in the NA sized rink.

3 minutes ago, VanIslander89 said:

Just read on Twitter he has an out clause back to Sweden if he doesn't make the main roster.... There goes that for Utica...

Well Sweden it is...highly doubt he makes the team.

I guess Mike Gillis' thing was NTC... it looks like Benning's thing is AHL out clause.

Just now, timberz21 said:

I guess Mike Gillis' thing was NTC... it looks like Benning's thing is AHL out clause.

Might still stay but it will likely depend on the quality of Utica's roster. If say Goldobin gets sent down to start and we have Hischier or Necas starting down there and can maybe sign Zhukenov too.... things start to look a lot rosier in Utica and you keep yourself in North America, learning on N.A. ice and available for call ups.

Dahlen, Hischier/Necas, Goldobin

Virtanen, Zhukenov, Valk

MacEwan, Cassels, Jasek 

...plus all the D arriving, another year older Subban and Demko. That's be a pretty stacked team.

36 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Brock will be with the big club.  He's already shown he can play well at the NHL level

Brock may have looked good for 9 games, but 82 season is a whole another beast coming at him.

He will benefit from a year in the AHL to start off and if he gets hot call him up.  Virtanen and McCann earned their first 9 games with us, but after that they drifted off completely and showed they needed to be returned to junior.  We made this mistake to rush them, no need to rush Brock.  I think a season in the AHL with other highly touted prospects will create a competitive drive, and also give him a chance to learn the pro game.

Dahlen, Virtanen, Boeser, Brisebois, Subban, Demko and co all growing together reminds me of the old Manitoba Moose days where the core of Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, grew together to form a strong core for the Nucks

8 minutes ago, billabong said:

Interesting timing. Glad to see him coming over. Already a dark horse for training camp

benning - ahh shoot I better something 

*calls Dalen agent*

benning - here's a blank cheque write any amount you want and we'll pay it

agent - done 

Lol, blamed he didn't give enough to Tram and blamed if he gave too much to Dhalen...... let's stay on message here guys...

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

This is good to see the Canucks lock up this guy... but if they can offer this completely untried kid 3 years, why was Tryamkin not offered a 3 year deal?????????

ELC limits on his initial contract for that one. You don't not sign a 3 year ELC if you can.

Try wanted to go home to his wife/family. I really don't think the contract was the issue.

The Euro out-clause is interesting. Sweden starts a bit earlier in the summer, and their season will be underway by the time the Canucks start training camp. I'm guessing the Canucks are gambling that he doesn't want to return mid-season, and would thus be willing to go to Utica. 

Maybe he blows everyone away out of camp and stays. Giving him a euro-out clause is either a gamble or confidence that he will stick around.

Anyways, add another name to our roster of musical chairs:

Baertschi - Horvat - _____

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

Eriksson - Sutter - ______

______ - _______ - Dorsett

(Megna, Boeser, Goldobin, Gaunce, Boucher, Dahlen, Virtanen)

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

This is good to see the Canucks lock up this guy... but if they can offer this completely untried kid 3 years, why was Tryamkin not offered a 3 year deal?????????

Even if he was offered that deal.......he had an out clause to the KHL

43 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Great to hear of the signing!  But I caution based on what I've seen of him that Dahlen likely has a peak potential of becoming a 2nd line winger.  I don't see Top Line out of him.  He loves to bring the puck to the front of the net coming from down low along the side boards.  This works fine with younger players, but I think he might find this move difficult to pull off against the big defencemen of the NHL.  He's also not exactly a swift skater either (although neither was Horvat).  However, I'd say he has good acceleration.  Those first few strides gets him around players pretty quickly.

What he does have is a great shot.  Whether it's a slap shot, snap shot, or wrist shot, the release is quick, and it definitely looks like a heavy shot considering how many goalies simply 'get a piece' of the shot, but not all of it.  He also seems to have a knack of scoring goals in tight against the net.  Overall, he definitely has high hockey IQ with a real ability to score goals.

I'm hoping if he works hard on his skating and builds some more strength that he'll be a main stay on the 2nd line.  Time will tell.  Either way, I'm very happy we have him signed :)

If Dahlen turns out to be another Baertschi, that's a clear win.

7 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

The Euro out-clause is interesting. Sweden starts a bit earlier in the summer, and their season will be underway by the time the Canucks start training camp. I'm guessing the Canucks are gambling that he doesn't want to return mid-season, and would thus be willing to go to Utica. 

Maybe he blows everyone away out of camp and stays. Giving him a euro-out clause is either a gamble or confidence that he will stick around.

Anyways, add another name to our roster of musical chairs:

Baertschi - Horvat - _____

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

Eriksson - Sutter - ______

______ - _______ - Dorsett

(Megna, Boeser, Goldobin, Gaunce, Boucher, Dahlen, Virtanen)

Don't forget our top 5 pick will be in that mix as well (unless it's a defenseman). 

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

If Dahlen turns out to be another Baertschi, that's a clear win.

Yeah, I'm not sure why a solid 2nd line Winger is being construed as a bad thing...? I think he's got even more upside than that (decent, complimentary 1st line W) but I'm not going to complain a bit if he's 'only' a 2nd liner in his prime.

3 minutes ago, VanIslander89 said:

16 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

The Sedins elected to stay and play in Sweden to start their careers.

Lots of players do.

This, imo, is a non-issue.

59 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I am really excited to see him,Virtanen and Boesser in Utica to start next year.  It has been a long time since we had so much skill down there.

There's no chance Boeser plays in Utica next year. 

Archived