The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you believe the Canucks can ever become a dynasty?

fanfor42

22 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

We'll never have a dynasty.  For a whole host of reasons.  Some big, some small.  Where to even begin...:

- The NHL hates us.  Actually, that's an understatement - the NHL despises us.  So, if we were ever on the verge of having a dynasty, they'd throw a series or implement rules designed specifically to screw us.  Guaranteed.  The NHL would never allow us to have a dynasty.  Not over Gary Bettman's dead body!

- The travel is much worse for us than for the teams the NHL loves.  And, not surprisingly, the NHL never lifts a finger to even out the playing-field.  They want their Original 6 teams to always have an advantage, while appearing to be impartial, and travel is their way of doing it.  So, don't expect this to ever change.  We will always be a lot more tired & exhausted than the teams we will be playing against.

- We are at sea-level.  There is a reason why most top-athletes train in the mountains.  When you need that 'extra gear,' we never seem to have it.  Training at sea-level is one of the reasons why.

- The salary-cap makes dynasties nearly impossible to maintain.  You'd need a special set of circumstances or an insane amount of luck to have a dynasty nowadays, typically you need both (see Pittsburgh). 

- Our ownership/managment have destroyed our team.  It now becomes a lot harder to attract the talent we need.  We are no longer a 'destination'.  Players don't want to come here.  And, worse than that, we are now in a situation where we are so bad that our top-players are demanding trades and leaving for other leagues.  If the 2014 draft was re-done today, Tryamkin would go top-20.  So, we just lost the equivalent of a top-20 pick - simply because we are so awful.  Any dynasty will take a lot longer (and be a lot harder) to build when you start from the very bottom.  Unless, of course, that stay at the bottom results in a whole bunch of top-1 or top-3 picks.  Of course, our stay there isn't resulting in any top picks whatsoever (and we are constantly throwing away the picks we are getting by going off the board and not selecting the best player available).

- Our drafting has always been utterly abysmal.  Looking at our lottery-picks recently, absolutely nothing seems to have changed.

- Our ownership is rather incompetent.  So, if we are ever in a position to become a dynasty, they'll probably mess it up somehow by thinking only of the short-term and ignoring the big-picture.

- We are in a position similar to Toronto.  No matter how bad our team gets, they'll still make a ton of money.  Of course, ownership wants playoff revenue, but we are never in a position where we can't spend to the cap.  We always cover the bills.  So, there's no incentive to become champions.

- Being west-coast liberals, we don't build big, bruising teams.  We are nice guys instead.  And, all things being equal, the smaller, nicer team will lose the playoff series to the bigger, meaner team almost every single time.  Remember how we were the best team in the NHL for about 5 years there?  Well, how many Cups did we end up with?  Right, none.  We got our asses handed to us every year but one (and that year we got completely man-handled in the final).

- Et cetera, et cetera, ad infinitum...

Stopped reading after the first four words of the 'reasons why'..

On 5/20/2017 at 9:08 AM, fanfor42 said:

The following  is a great question to ponder in the off season.  In the modern era of hockey, Montreal, New York Islanders, Edmonton, Chicago, maybe Detroit, maybe Pittsburgh, maybe others have created, at one time or another, teams that the fans of  the league would call dynasties.

Vancouver has been in the NHL since 1970. No dynasty so far. In fact, no cup so far. So what's the deal? Is there some reason why other cities can create teams that become dynasties in the NHL but Vancouver cannot?  Are we inferior? Do we lack the ability to attract top end management talent? Are our media so poisonous that no team can gain traction? And the most salient question, do Vancouver fans somehow lack what it takes to support a team to become a dynasty?

Fans in Chicago and Boston say yes. We've all read those comments.

Vancouver is rebuilding again. It's happened numerous times over the past 47 years. So here we go again and the question has to be asked, are we capable? Can we win a cup and even more to the point can we ever form a dynasty? Why would we ever sell ourselves short? Do we truly think we are maybe, maybe capable of someday winning a cup but are never capable of being a dynasty?  If so, why? Why? This stuff is not handed down by god. it's created by a belief in a fan base that their team deserves it and a belief by ownership and management that it is possible.

Can the Canucks ever be a dynasty?

For me this question is a test for this fan base. I've been cheering for the team since the beginning.  There are great fans here. I meet them all the time.

Over the years the media has said the following of the Vancouver fan base. We are  just a bunch of whiners.  (Yes we've been called that).  The media says we can't support a rebuild cuz Vancouver is an event town. WTF?  And lately they've been suggesting Vancouver fans don't know enough to allow prospects to grow without undue pressure.

As far as I'm concerned that's all a bunch of crap. Total crap. Vancouver has tremendous fans.  Vancouver fans are the Chicago Cubs fans of the NHL.  We have been taking it on the chin for 47 years and counting. Vancouver fans support the Canucks and shut out all the other junk.. Every fan has had to turn the other cheek at some point when some excitable Oilers or Flames fan has reminded them that the Canucks have never won a cup.  Every Canucks fan knows deep down that the media and the trolls and the loud noise from the other cities can jolly well go in the crapper.

So the question is, can  Vancouver ever become an NHL dynasty team?

(ps Have a laugh every time you see someone answer that the Canucks have not even won a cup...cuz they didn't bother to read past the title. Lol).

We have to win one Stanley cup 1st before we make the next step to Dynasty....

Dynasty is 3 cups in a row.  Lets win our 1st one before even asking about Dynasty.

4 hours ago, Zedlee said:

How about we win one Cup.  Then talk about winning more.  At this point, making the playoffs seems a long way away.  

How about you read the original post and not just the title lol. Hint. Read all the way to the bottom..

4 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

We could very well make the playoffs next year. Look at how quick Columbus turned it around.

Columbus has a Vezina quality goalie and some good pieces.  They've been building since inception and are just now getting somewhere.  Two first round losses since they joined the league....looking up though, killer winning streak this year, and they should build on it.

3 hockey fans died and went to Heaven at the same time. They were blessed by the presence of God himself. As a gift, God ask them ' What would you guys want to know?" "anything and I will  give each one of you the truth!"

Leafs fan ask " When will Toronto win the Stantley Cup?"

God said " In your children's life time, they will"

Flames fan ask " When will Calgary win the Stantley Cup?"

God said " unfortunely, not in your children's life time"

Canucks fan ask "When will Vancouver finally get their first Stantley Cup?"

God sadly said "...................Not in my life time....."

On 2017-5-25 at 11:20 AM, 10pavelbure96 said:

We could very well make the playoffs next year. Look at how quick Columbus turned it around.

"Very well"?  Uh, nope.  There is a miniscule chance we make the playoffs.  More likely, we finish near the bottom of  the league, again.    

On 2017-5-24 at 5:29 PM, fanfor42 said:

How about you read the original post and not just the title lol. Hint. Read all the way to the bottom..

I read to the bottom.  You didn't define "dynasty" but I'll venture to say it means multiple Stanley Cups.  At this point, I'd be happy with one.  Then we can talk about more. 

I haven't read through this entire thread to see if this ridiculous-ish opinion has already been floated, but here's my take - we've just finished being a dynasty.

Obviously, we've come through these years as an "also-ran dynasty" (never having actually won the Cup) as opposed to a true dynasty - but the Canucks over the past 15 years have been a serious contender.

Sure, we had the year where we didn't make the playoffs as the baton was being passed from WCE-era to Sedin-era, but teams usually sparkle and fade as one solid core fades out. We, on the other hand, haven't been in the basement like this since the nineties.

I'll reiterate that I realize this opinion is somewhat ridiculous, but we have been a very good team for a very long time.

I don't even care.

Just one cup, that's all I ask.

After that, we'll talk.

I want this city to experience the togetherness, at least for awhile, that a cup would bring.  I saw it happen during our cup runs...imagine the carry over if when we win?  I want that.

Archived