The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I am def a little disapointed that we didn't draft Cody Glass. I got to watch him a lot this year playing in games in PG and he was a beast. It is a bit of a head sctratcher for me too, Glass was the obvious next choice for several teams. We should have at least traded down a couple picks if we were set on Pettersson. He would have still been available at 8 and 9. We could have used an extra 2nd or 3rd or something for that whiff. 

5 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

We should have at least traded down a couple picks if we were set on Pettersson. He would have still been available at 8 and 9.

Well we did almost pull off a move to 6th until Vegas backed out. And I've read that the Rags were looking seriously at taking Pettersson if he was still on the board at 7. So probably we did all we could (and we almost got an extra pick out of McPhee).

I honestly don't think Pettersson would have been available if we'd traded down to 8 or 9.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well we did almost pull off a move to 6th until Vegas backed out. And I've read that the Rags were looking seriously at taking Pettersson if he was still on the board at 7. So probably we did all we could (and we almost got an extra pick out of McPhee).

I honestly don't think Pettersson would have been available if we'd traded down to 8 or 9.

So right.  Maybe Petersson was the guy Vegas wanted too?  Once Vegas selected Glass, of course they're not going to say he wasn't their guy.

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So right.  Maybe Petersson was the guy Vegas wanted too?  Once Vegas selected Glass, of course they're not going to say he wasn't their guy.

Not only that but everyone saying we should have traded down are assuming everyone below us WANTED to trade up.  It may not have been worth it for those other teams.  So unless JB managed to convince a team to buy in to something they didn't want uses car salesman style, it wasn't terribly likely.

We should be happy Pettersson is only 165 pounds.  Add even 15 pounds to his weight, and I doubt he would have been available at 5.  The good news is his weight is on an upwards trajectory since he says he's gained 10 or 12 pounds over the previous year.  When I read about him, it sounds like his skill level and hockey IQ is up there with Hischier and Patrick. I'm looking forward to following him over the next 2 years.  After that, I wouldn't be surprised  to see him playing for the Canucks.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, droid56 said:

We should be happy Pettersson is only 165 pounds.  Add even 15 pounds to his weight, and I doubt he would have been available at 5.  The good news is his weight is on an upwards trajectory since he says he's gained 10 or 12 pounds over the previous year.  When I read about him, it sounds like his skill level and hockey IQ is up there with Hischier and Patrick. I'm looking forward to following him over the next 2 years.  After that, I wouldn't be surprised  to see him playing for the Canucks.

i hope he milks the development time so he roars onto the nhl stage and wins the calder! :)  i think Boeser may legitimately challenge next year.  dahlen could make the club to potentially now that would be exciting.  hope dahlen can adjust to the nhl surface rapidly.  ^^

2 hours ago, droid56 said:

yep. i wouldn't be surprised either. is gaining another 10-15 pounds in one year possible? it would bring Pettersson up to 175-180 pounds. that'd be a good place to be before he comes to NA to be utica bound. 

he's got such high IQ that i wouldn't be surprised if he makes the Canucks soon as well. if he struggles to gain weight, well, then that's something entirely different. intrigued to see how he does when he moves to division one play in sweden. 

9 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

i hope he milks the development time so he roars onto the nhl stage and wins the calder! :)  i think Boeser may legitimately challenge next year.  dahlen could make the club to potentially now that would be exciting.  hope dahlen can adjust to the nhl surface rapidly.  ^^

i think dahlen is going to surprise a lot of people. 

boeser could win the calder, but he would have to have an excellent year. 20 goals realistic for him? 40 points? 

2 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Forgive me if this has been posted already

He is absolutely filthy.

i concur. absolutely filthy hands at 18 years old. i can't imagine what he's going to do with even more experience. he's become the canuck's number one prospect, for sure. 

3 hours ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

David Pastrnak- 6' 168lbs when drafted now he's 181lbs 3 years later 34-36-70pts

Nikolaj Ehlers- 6' 163lbs when drafted now he's 172lbs 3 years later with 25-39-64pts 

Mitch Marner- 5'11 160lbs when drafted now he's 170lbs 2 years later with 19-42-61pts

Just some recent players who were drafted wiry thin, but play extremely skilled games allowing them to excel. Also shows that he may not be 4-5 years out like ppl are assuming

I don't get this 5-year crap. He might gain 15 pounds in the next 2 months and blow the roof off at prospects camp. Can't stand how people on CDC think they are scouts and their opinion actually means something. He will be ready when he is ready hows that for A timeline.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I don't get this 5-year crap. He might gain 15 pounds in the next 2 months and blow the roof off at prospects camp. Can't stand how people on CDC think they are scouts and their opinion actually means something. He will be ready when he is ready hows that for A timeline.

Ya, if a player can compete at a low weight then that's it. Obviously they aren't gonna rush anything but to say 5 years is just ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1