The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

green was right in telling his players to not do anything.  if any of our players did go after matheson,  our team probably would have been penalized and it could have got out of hand.  this was away from the play , this team does not want another Bertuzzi  incident  hanging over this team again. hopefully the league looks after this

You can bet that more than a few guys on the bench wanted to do something, and I personally am glad they chose not to. First of all there would have been an instigator, plus a two or five minute penalty, depending on what Matheson responded with. The Canucks would have been nailed, and because of that, who knows, would there be a suspension to Matheson after this phone conference. I get how we're mostly responding, but listening to Keith Ballard, made more sense than those hipster dj's on SN this morning. The game is changing slowly but surely, and if the DOPS is adamant that they are going to eliminate head shots, and lesson concussions in the game, this is the best way to do it. Matheson got schooled by an elite rookie, and I'm sure Sunday morning he was regretting what he did, very much. I don't see him as that type of player.

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

What do people want, a Torts-like brawl in the hallway? We all know what happened after that incident.

The on-ice incident wasn't conducive to going after Matheson at the time. The team then focused on the win and got it. Now they're taking his number, which is the better way for retribution.

Besides, the play was a little dirty, but EP will be fine in a day or two. If it was a blatant hit from behind or something worse than what happened then you would've seen a different reaction. The last thing we need, tho, are suspensions on our end with stupid retaliation. Honestly, I think this'll be good for EP in a way - he'll come back stronger and more fiesty as a result. I bet he's pissed and a little embarrassed with getting ragdolled and it isn't sitting well with him - the kid's super competitive, so let's stop infantilizing him. 

That is past the due date

Teams are aware of our lack of standing up for one another after that

The league will be watching and warning by the next game for retribution

The time was before such a warning is issued

I could care less about the score at that point

As I said in another post

We are not going to the Stanley Cup this year 

The penalty we may have took is less important than sending a message at this stage

Chances are if someone had attacked Matheson right away, the initial hit would have been called too

If we took a penalty, it also may have heated the guys up to fight it off even more

Along with sending the message we are no longer gonna take it

It would make us a tougher team to play against

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, bree2 said:

so were not Canucks fans if we have another opinion than yours?

your entitled to your opinions, i just stated mine. sounds like your asking yourself that question. 

it was a bad situation that probably should been handled differently. 

green said, he didn't see it at the time and neither did the players. if green called for the team not to retaliate, then it is not on the players. people need to get all the facts before they throw blame at anybody. 

i know when i coached, i missed a lot of what was happening because my eyes were following the play with the puck. 

i doubt that the players will not react to a dirty play they see happening. 

if green told them not to react, then they were following orders. hearing the players account of the incident would be the part of the story, i'ld be most interested to hear.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

You can bet that more than a few guys on the bench wanted to do something, and I personally am glad they chose not to. First of all there would have been an instigator, plus a two or five minute penalty, depending on what Matheson responded with. The Canucks would have been nailed, and because of that, who knows, would there be a suspension to Matheson after this phone conference. I get how we're mostly responding, but listening to Keith Ballard, made more sense than those hipster dj's on SN this morning. The game is changing slowly but surely, and if the DOPS is adamant that they are going to eliminate head shots, and lesson concussions in the game, this is the best way to do it. Matheson got schooled by an elite rookie, and I'm sure Sunday morning he was regretting what he did, very much. I don't see him as that type of player.

Who cares about a suspension? It's not about that game any more, it's about future games and sending a message about what won't be tolerated

He pulls a knife, you pull a gun, he sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue.

• Wat 1

28 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Matheson got schooled by an elite rookie, and I'm sure Sunday morning he was regretting what he did, very much. I don't see him as that type of player.

And yet, here we are.  This was clearly retribution.  Matheson was having a terrible game and had already been schooled numerous times.  He might not be that type of player but it remains to be seen what response by the league will deter him from being a repeat offender.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Well this "one time" happened to involve our 19 year old phenom, and this is "one time" this season...We watch the same garbage year after year,  players taking liberties on our  players knowing there will be no repercussion.  This is literally a classic example of why fighting is even in the game in the first place, to protect your superstar talent, especially if your superstar is still a damn kid.

The dirty shot happened away from the play, so none of our players actually saw it live.  Should Guddy have chased Matheson around on their next shift together?  I don't see how we could have responded, considering no one saw what happened.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The dirty shot happened away from the play, so none of our players actually saw it live.  Should Guddy have chased Matheson around on their next shift together?  I don't see how we could have responded, considering no one saw what happened.  

BS they didn't see it, such a weak excuse from a gutless team. 

• Upvote 1

like mentioned by the previous posts... this idea that nobody saw nobody knew until after the game is a flat out lie and just damage control by management because the media and fans are calling for heads to fly.  There were 15 minutes left in the third when EP was taken out. No one had a look at what happened in those 15 minutes? Your best player gets taken out and wobbles off the ice and out of the game and no one takes a look at what happened? YA RIGHT LOL 

Even if we were to believe this nonsense... it doesn't change the fact that they knew EP was hit hard enough to be taken out of the game, this should of elicited a response from the team to up their own physicality and at least start hitting and finishing their check on every shift of every play. Didn't have to be reckless retribution or a line brawl, but any self respecting team has to up their physicality when their best player gets taken out whether or not it's a clean or dirty play. 

Pure damage control, let's hope for the sake of our prospects that behind closed doors Green and the rest of the team got the real message. 

Edited by Kushman
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vicky said:

And yet, here we are.  This was clearly retribution.  Matheson was having a terrible game and had already been schooled numerous times.  He might not be that type of player but it remains to be seen what response by the league will deter him from being a repeat offender.

....and that's exactly what I said

At this point its pretty much "whats done is done".

However, I hope the team uses this situation to talk in the room about how they need to have each others backs moving forward and that they all buy into it.

I don't want to see our players speed bagged anymore. I just want some pushback. Hopefully they come together over this.

• Cheers 1

The crappy thing is that this unfortunately gives fuel to the "He's too small for the NHL crowd", despite the fact that it was an illegal take down that's likely going to be suspended. 

It's like saying "He's not tough enough for the NHL" after a player is punched in the back of the head and ends up with a concussion.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Kushman said:

like mentioned by the previous posts... this idea that nobody saw nobody knew until after the game is a flat out lie and just damage control by management because the media and fans are calling for heads to fly.  There were 15 minutes left in the third when EP was taken out. No one had a look at what happened in those 15 minutes? Your best player gets taken out and wobbles off the ice and out of the game and no one takes a look at what happened? YA RIGHT LOL 

Even if we were to believe this nonsense... it doesn't change the fact that they knew EP was hit hard enough to be taken out of the game, this should of elicited a response from the team to up their own physicality and at least start hitting and finishing their check on every shift of every play. Didn't have to be reckless retribution or a line brawl, but any self respecting team has to up their physicality when their best player gets taken out whether or not it's a clean or dirty play. 

Pure damage control, let's hope for the sake of our prospects that behind closed doors Green and the rest of the team got the real message. 

I don't know... the year when Domi took out Neidermeyer in the playoffs no one noticed until Stevens screamed his lungs out from the penalty box. 

Times were different back then, but it's not inconceivable that they truly didn't see it.

3 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

I don't know... the year when Domi took out Neidermeyer in the playoffs no one noticed until Stevens screamed his lungs out from the penalty box. 

Times were different back then, but it's not inconceivable that they truly didn't see it.

Back then technology isn't Like it is today. You see them checking almost every play on their tablet to see if it wss an offside or goalie interference or whatever the case may be... You think it's plausible that no one thought it worth while to check out what happened to EP with 15 minutes to go in the third?

Even Crosby is checking out the play he gets cheap shotted and thats with less than 4 minutes left 

I don't buy it for a second. The reference you make, absolutely. No one could check the instant replay from their bench like they can today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Really?

So NO canuck players were watching our star at all,

No one heard on the ice from players on the bench or fans reaction?

I find that hard to believe

Players get confronted all the time on their very next shift even

You have never saw that before Alf?

We don't have to be a dirty team to respond, just go up and make sure you get the shot to his head

No one even talked to him or confronted him which I find disturbing

33 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The crappy thing is that this unfortunately gives fuel to the "He's too small for the NHL crowd", despite the fact that it was an illegal take down that's likely going to be suspended. 

It's like saying "He's not tough enough for the NHL" after a player is punched in the back of the head and ends up with a concussion.

I was/am/are concerned for his health always have been, always will be

He is a very skilled player no doubt

Here we are 5 games into his career and already one concussion

Are you not concerned?

He was not punched in the back of the head though,

Todays players are stronger and faster

I was worried as the season went on, and his adrenaline subsided some, that he would tire

When you tire, you take short cuts and are not as quick to respond,

That is just the fact of life

EP being a very skilled player will be the focus of teams, that will try to make him less effective

Lets hope this does not deter him from playing his game

Your priorities and concern seem misplaced with this post

The crappy thing as you stated is a minute point (silly one really)

The crappy thing is, that after 5 games EP already has a concussion

Hope get better EP

I know all about concussions 

I have had many and a coma from hockey and motocross