The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Loved reading this section with quotes from Horvat on Pettersson in tonight’s “Athletties” (Botchford):

https://theathletic.com/591105/2018/10/17/the-athletties-the-flow-rises-hutton-cometh-green-shines-and-an-ode-to-dekey-pete/

horvat-backcehck1.gif

In a previous edition of The Athletties, I speculated he had been inspired by EP for this play.

Turns out, he was indeed.

“For sure I was inspired by him. I can say it first hand. He inspires me to be a better 200-foot player.

“And he’s only played five games,” said Horvat.

He can’t help but laugh at how that sounds out loud. But he’s so on point here.

“I noticed he was special in preseason,” he continued. “It was right away. You could see it. It’s why everyone in this room has so much respect for him.

“Why I have so much respect for him is because he plays so hard away from the puck.

“It’s insane. The skill, you see it. That’s sick. But for him to be so good defensively and positionally and for him to be so relentless on the puck, it’s unbelievable to watch.

“As an older guy like me, who has been in the league for five years, I watch him and I want to be like him. I want to be like that.

“He pushes me to be a better player.

“It’s awesome to have someone on your team who pushes you.”

Man, I hope EP comes back soon and with no lingering effects. The fact that he’s already inspiring Horvat to be a better 200-foot player is remarkable.

Also, hats off to Botch for tonight’s issue. It’s some of his best Provies/Athletties work, and well worth the read (and even worth the subscription price). 

He's been much better since joining the Athletic. Much less doom and gloom. Mind you the direction of the team has improved as well. It's nice to see some positives from him though

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2018 at 3:11 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

anyone here miss Derek Dorsett?  I also miss Bieska too.  He would have raged over Matheson and challenged him to a fight.

I also heard Nick Ritchie is having contract issues with Anahiem, maybe a trade can be done to bring him in. 

It's only been a game but I miss Pettersson already:(

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Loved reading this section with quotes from Horvat on Pettersson in tonight’s “Athletties” (Botchford):

https://theathletic.com/591105/2018/10/17/the-athletties-the-flow-rises-hutton-cometh-green-shines-and-an-ode-to-dekey-pete/

horvat-backcehck1.gif

In a previous edition of The Athletties, I speculated he had been inspired by EP for this play.

Turns out, he was indeed.

“For sure I was inspired by him. I can say it first hand. He inspires me to be a better 200-foot player.

“And he’s only played five games,” said Horvat.

He can’t help but laugh at how that sounds out loud. But he’s so on point here.

“I noticed he was special in preseason,” he continued. “It was right away. You could see it. It’s why everyone in this room has so much respect for him.

“Why I have so much respect for him is because he plays so hard away from the puck.

“It’s insane. The skill, you see it. That’s sick. But for him to be so good defensively and positionally and for him to be so relentless on the puck, it’s unbelievable to watch.

“As an older guy like me, who has been in the league for five years, I watch him and I want to be like him. I want to be like that.

“He pushes me to be a better player.

“It’s awesome to have someone on your team who pushes you.”

Man, I hope EP comes back soon and with no lingering effects. The fact that he’s already inspiring Horvat to be a better 200-foot player is remarkable.

Also, hats off to Botch for tonight’s issue. It’s some of his best Provies/Athletties work, and well worth the read (and even worth the subscription price). 

Did Horvat refer to himself as an older guy? That's it! His new handle is Old Man Horvat.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Anyone can say sorry. His character showed when he tried to break EP in half for no other reason than he could because of EP's size. But this is the NHL and sometimes players do stupid things. I just hope Pettersson isn't affected by that going forward.  

This is what scares me the most.  I mean I'm upset about him missing so many games early in the season, but what scares me to death is that Pettersson is going to be one of those guys who has concussion problems for the rest of his career (Lindros) and never gets a chance to play consistently.

Yes, I know I am jumping the gun, and it may be an irrational fear at this point, but man, it's certainly not a good start.

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

To be honest, I'm pretty sure most fans won't give a rip about apologies, but to me they mean a ton. This helps me forgive Matheson quite a bit for what he did. Shows some good character.

His apology would mean more if he didn't spend most of his interview afterwards trying to defend the play and push the blame off himself.  He tries to play it off like it's just an everyday body check, ignoring the stick between the legs can opener and the subsequent take-down.  In the sportsnet interview he did (the one where he mentions the apology) he talks about it like the events just unfolded out of his control. 

"It was part of the game and it was just a hockey play where I think the fact I came into the boards and went stick on puck and my stick kinda got stuck in there, propped him up a little bit too much, and that’s probably what led to what happened afterwards.”

We all saw him get embarrassed on numerous occasions during the game.  I'm not going to say that his intent was to give Elias a concussion, I'd like to believe that most if not all hockey players have more respect than that, but he was certainly trying to knock the wind out of Elias' sails and he went too far.  He should have owned up to that, but he didn't.

I like Elias' response... "thanks for reaching out"

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

This is what scares me the most.  I mean I'm upset about him missing so many games early in the season, but what scares me to death is that Pettersson is going to be one of those guys who has concussion problems for the rest of his career (Lindros) and never gets a chance to play consistently.

Yes, I know I am jumping the gun, and it may be an irrational fear at this point, but man, it's certainly not a good start.

That's why majority of us were in panic mode when that happened.  But one thing is the treatment has come along way since Lindros played.  I think the sooner you cease all physical activities and sit in a dark room the faster the recovery.  Guys like Lindros likely suffered multiple concussions, one after another, and never got the chance to fully recover.  When Paul Kariya got literally knocked out in the playoff game he came back later in the game, just thinking about that gives me a headache. 

"He's getting better everyday, making progress and following protocol." - Travis Green on EP40's recovery. 

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

When Paul Kariya got literally knocked out in the playoff game he came back later in the game, just thinking about that gives me a headache. 

I don't know what's scarier...

-That he came back and played at all after that?

-That he came back and played otherworldly after that?

-That he doesn't remember any of it?

:wacko::unsure:

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't know what's scarier...

-That he came back and played at all after that?

-That he came back and played otherworldly after that?

-That he doesn't remember any of it?

:wacko::unsure:

This is why when I see one of the old boy analysts complaining about the game getting soft, all I can do is shake my head. Their peers are dealing with the effects of CTE and all they can do is whine that things are different. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

This is why when I see one of the old boy analysts complaining about the game getting soft, all I can do is shake my head. Their peers are dealing with the effects of CTE and all they can do is whine that things are different. 

If Petey was Brad May's son, I wonder if he'd still have the same archaic attitude.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

overcoming-the-fear-of-change-2-638.jpg?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1