The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's the thing for me....the highlighted part?   That's not a given, that's the best case  scenario.

Look, hockey's a tough game and if the hit was just that, no issues at all.  That's how it's played.   Get danced around by a guy a few times and sure, give him a good, solid check and let him know you didn't appreciate it.  But the throwdown resulted in a hit to the head on the ice. 

Concussions are brain injuries and just because they don't result in blood and obvious signs of their magnitude, they can be significant and linger.

Sometimes subtle, but enough to change someone's timing, decision making,  emotions, etc. 

If anything should hamper the way this kid plays the game, it's a crying shame.  If it was a targeted act of lashing out, it's unacceptable and stings that much more.  It's infectious to see how much he loves playing...this had better not change that.

The kid IS super competitive but it's unknown how this will play out.   Fiesty and competitive can't offset the symptoms of concussion if they settle in.  I'm thinking of the worst case scenario and that's what scares me.

We shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves, that's mostly my point here.  I won't celebrate that he's ok until I know...he's ok.  He'd better be.  He and his family don't deserve to have his talent undermined by a hack who couldn't control his emotions.  Watched the game again and Matheson was awful.  So now he's made a name for himself...for all the wrong reasons.  

For the record, I completely agree with you on concussions - before the report came out of him missing 7 - 10 days, I was highly skeptical that he would even have anything close to serious and that he would be on the ice on Tuesday. To me, him getting thrown around didn't look like it was going to harm him long term (don't get me wrong, I think the play was dirty and had intent and that Matheson should get some games). My guess is the extra missed games is a precautionary but also a hint to the league that it's time they protect their starts - both I'm ok with. 

20 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I was/am/are concerned for his health always have been, always will be

He is a very skilled player no doubt

Here we are 5 games into his career and already one concussion

Are you not concerned?

He was not punched in the back of the head though,

Todays players are stronger and faster

I was worried as the season went on, and his adrenaline subsided some, that he would tire

When you tire, you take short cuts and are not as quick to respond,

That is just the fact of life

EP being a very skilled player will be the focus of teams, that will try to make him less effective

Lets hope this does not deter him from playing his game

Your priorities and concern seem misplaced with this post

The crappy thing as you stated is a minute point (silly one really)

The crappy thing is, that after 5 games EP already has a concussion

Hope get better EP

I know all about concussions 

I have had many and a coma from hockey and motocross

So you're implying that I'm not worried about his health because I'm also annoyed that this is going to feed the idiotic narrative that he isn't "big enough" for the NHL?

The natural extension of your logic is that nobody should be playing in the NHL because, regardless of age/size/etc..., there will always be health concerns in the NHL.

I wonder how EP, with his 8 points in 5 games and his over 50% FO percentage, feels about that narrative.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

14 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So you're implying that I'm not worried about his health because I'm also annoyed that this is going to feed the idiotic narrative that he isn't "big enough" for the NHL?

The natural extension of your logic is that nobody should be playing in the NHL because, regardless of age/size/etc..., there will always be health concerns in the NHL.

I wonder how EP, with his 8 points in 5 games and his over 50% FO percentage, feels about that narrative.

I said that ?

Wow my own concussions really have me confused now

5 hours ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

Good point.  If this is how things are going to be, they may not.

People have been arguing "oh, well Elias wants to win, so he wouldn't want his team to respond".

That is like when your wife tells you she doesn't want anything for your anniversary.  Of course he may say or think that, but I can guarantee that Pettersson would feel an inevitable and satisfying feeling of appreciation if his teammates had shown some sort of response.  It is impossible not to.  If you have ever had a teammate fight for you, you would know that there is no better feeling knowing that your teammates care enough to make sacrifices because they are concerned about you and your health.  I can guarantee you Dube has an extreme feeling of gratitude and appreciation for what Hamonic did.  

On the other hand, if you feel that all your teammates are in it for themselves, and show no emotion, you may find over time that you would be a better fit somewhere else.

So you're telling me my wife does want something! Interesting.

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Lol i know right, players watch there previous shifts all the time, if you see your teammate with his helmet wrapped sideways around his head..pull out your damn ipad

So Bo scores while guys are finding out what happened to Pete.  We are now up 3-2, and Green tells the guys to focus on winning the game, and not chasing Matheson.  What exactly should a player do after that?  Does Guddy chase Matheson?  The response on the ice needs to be immediate.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

According to Ian McIntyre, who I just listened to on SN650, many arenas in the US DO NOT have instant replay on their jumbo screens. He stated many times they don not see a replay of a Canuck goal etc. He talked to two players off the record and they both said, what happened to Petey, who did it, and all of that. So take it for a grain of salt, you have to give the guys the benefit of a doubt. Most of us have never played at a higher level than beer hockey, and we are going on about how tough we are, and he would not walk out of the building alive. Yeah, right! Matheson got more than IMac thought he would get, he questioned whether they would call him before DPOS, but said two games is a good start. He also said that what if it was say a guy like Tyler Motte, good analysis.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

I don't care who's fault it is.  Something needed to be done

I’m not saying anyone is at fault here, except for Matheson.  None of our players saw what happened, until later.  Plus, when the replay was shown, Bo had already scored.  Likely there was shouting on the bench to get retribution, but Green shut it down.  I don’t see how chasing Matheson would help.  To me the referee standing beside the play should have called a match penalty on Matheson.  That would have resolved any thoughts of retribution during the last few minutes.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m not saying anyone is at fault here, except for Matheson.  None of our players saw what happened, until later.  Plus, when the replay was shown, Bo had already scored.  Likely there was shouting on the bench to get retribution, but Green shut it down.  I don’t see how chasing Matheson would help.  To me the referee standing beside the play should have called a match penalty on Matheson.  That would have resolved any thoughts of retribution during the last few minutes.  

Exactly!

5 hours ago, Vicky said:

And yet, here we are.  This was clearly retribution.  Matheson was having a terrible game and had already been schooled numerous times.  He might not be that type of player but it remains to be seen what response by the league will deter him from being a repeat offender.

Doesn't matter, somebody will need to answer for it.

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

So you don't put Green at fault for not wanting a physical response?  

At fault for what?  Green played during the goon era, so he knows the code.  That wasn’t the time.  Come January our guys need to go after their skilled guys.  We need to make Barkov, Huberdeau, and other skilled guys fight.  The message needs to be sent through those skilled guys.  

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

So you don't put Green at fault for not wanting a physical response?  

You really need to read what Green said again. And then read it again. And then maybe you will understand what he said about he and the coaches and players not being certain what happened during the game. Reading comprehension is important.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Upon further review of the hit, I'm convinced the dirty part was the can-opener with his stick between EP's legs hoisting them up so he could slam his upper body down hard with gravity helping as his legs went up.

that's the sickening part all canuck haters are ignoring.  They call it the clean hit. heck even shawn Mathius is being retarded about.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

In the goon era they would wait 3 months to get revenge?  I think not

Somebody should of challenged Matheson, nobody even did that, maybe he would of accepted the fight and it could of been an even 5 each for fighting and then hey we can go after them again 3m onths from now if we want to.  It was pathetic doing nothing like that, how can you possibly argue against that

It's weird agreeing with you. I feel kinda dirty.

4 hours ago, johngould21 said:

According to Ian McIntyre, who I just listened to on SN650, many arenas in the US DO NOT have instant replay on their jumbo screens. He stated many times they don not see a replay of a Canuck goal etc. He talked to two players off the record and they both said, what happened to Petey, who did it, and all of that. So take it for a grain of salt, you have to give the guys the benefit of a doubt. Most of us have never played at a higher level than beer hockey, and we are going on about how tough we are, and he would not walk out of the building alive. Yeah, right! Matheson got more than IMac thought he would get, he questioned whether they would call him before DPOS, but said two games is a good start. He also said that what if it was say a guy like Tyler Motte, good analysis.

A Florida player was quoted in saying he didnt see what happened until it was shown on the jumbotron. I don't care if it was after the Horvat goal when they saw it, there should have been a response. ANYTHING. Every single player acted like nothing happened. Embarassing.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SynysterGates said:

A Florida player was quoted in saying he didnt see what happened until it was shown on the jumbotron. I don't care if it was after the Horvat goal when they saw it, there should have been a response. ANYTHING. Every single player acted like nothing happened. Embarassing.

When Boeser got hit by Clutterbuck everyone stood around and did nothing too (And they all saw the play). The only guy to actually go over to Clutterbuck and say something was Tyler Motte.

Like it or not this is the Sedin mantra carrying over to the next generation. Until we sign some players with some snarl to their game, we're not going to see the kind of swagger and pushback fans wanna see.

• Upvote 1