The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I think those projections are decent. I'd take 77 points for Petey. If both are healthy Boeser should be close to 70 if not 70+, but certainly 30+ goals. I'm not discounting the chance of some challenges in Petey's sophmore years. He's not going to be a mystery at any point of the year like early last year

Its a nice bump up for Miller, and if Miller does that well there's a chance Horvat is closer to 65. 

If Pettersson has PPG+, Boeser had 40+ goals, & Hughes has 45 points, I gotta think we are in the playoffs, or at the very least just barely outside. Those 3 guys & Markstrom are going to be the biggest factors IMO. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2019 at 8:04 PM, GoldenAlien said:

77 points seems a little low for EP. I think he can get 80 points this upcoming season! 77 might be a safe projection. 

My projections: 

EP - 80 points 

Boeser - 66-70 points

Horvat - 65 

Miller - 60

Ferland  - 50

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Upvote 1

Assuming an 82 game season, my projections:

EP - 73
Boeser - 71
Horvat - 63
Miller - 55
Ferland - 42
Baertschi - 40
Virtanen - 35

I think Boeser will come back better and healthier. EP struggled a lot late in the year and if not for his insane pace early on his numbers wouldn't have looked as good. I think he will have a few slumps as he adjusts playing against top defenders. 

Ferland playing in the top 6 should keep is numbers around where they have been. Baertschi will kind of float where he normally does, maybe slightly lower with some new offensive options. 

Last year Virtanen scored 5 more points in 5 less games, and has steadily improved his goal totals. I could see him score 20 goals - 15 assists next year over 82 games. Ferland didn't hit the 40 point mark until 25. With Jake at 23 I see a similar trajectory, with him capping out at around 20-25 goals and 40-45 points. I don't think he has the IQ or play making ability to reach the next level but he will be a valuable middle six. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/22/2019 at 12:43 AM, -AJ- said:

Seems like they're assuming 82 games for all these projections. 77 points in 82 games is almost exactly his pace last year. I'm expecting a slight increase.

66 points for Boeser in 82 games is again the same as last year's projected rate.

Horvat's 62 points would obviously be one point above last year's 61. Miller's 54 points would be a decent jump from last year and Ferland's projection is about right in line with his career history.

All in all, they're extremely "safe" projections. They seem to have basically simply taken last year's points-per-game and projected them out to 82 games for everyone except Miller. Bland.

To be fair it’s in line with other fantasy projections too - within a few points of THN and the Forecaster with the lone outlier Miller who they see getting 63 (forecaster - THN has him at 51, guess it depends on whether he’s covering for Sutter and for how long more then anything)  ...Hughes ranges are bigger too 38-45 which is understandable given he’s a rookie.   EP 78/79...Boeser 66/70 and Horvat 60/65.  

Both mags touch on what EP we will be getting the first or second half - appears they went with a little in between (of course we all want the 1.3 PPG 2018 EP and he could do just that, or 100 points)..

These guys do predict break outs too but don’t often get them right so don’t do it often and usually with year three or four players that have a reason for it (great junior pedigree - great new linemates etc).   Miller is the only guy I’ve seen who’s predicted to get a big bump other then Boeser - and only the THN has gone out on a bit of a limb from what I’ve seen so far (and not much of one either 35-35/70)..     

Thing is if you add up all the goals with the entire team -  we can expect around 270ish goals which is a great thing.  A huge increase.   When you consider EP led the team last year at 66 - and we only had three guy with over 35 points ...  we are much more fantasy and actually relevant then a year ago by a long shot.  

21 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

Clip from a swedish sports magazine that basically visits swedish NHL pros at their homes in sweden. Sorry no subs found. 

<3   Thanks for posting this...I watched the entire thing despite not understanding a word (except Petey did sprinkle in a teeny bit of English).   The Hakuna Matata caught my eye...a kid after my own heart as that was huge back in the day to my daughter and I.  We also have the same black panther picture and a wall of animal pics in her old room.   So, basically, he's pretty much my son from another Mother.  LOL

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

<3   Thanks for posting this...I watched the entire thing despite not understanding a word (except Petey did sprinkle in a teeny bit of English).   The Hakuna Matata caught my eye...a kid after my own heart as that was huge back in the day to my daughter and I.  We also have the same black panther picture and a wall of animal pics in her old room.   So, basically, he's pretty much my son from another Mother.  LOL

NP glad u liked it.  the magazine has done 2 more similar ones with Oliver ekman-Larsson(yotes) and John Klingberg(stars). This Apartment Petey bought recently in the town of Sundsvall in northern swedn a few miles from his hometown. He did look like he had a bit more on his arms so hoping he comes prepared for the next season.

12 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

NP glad u liked it.  the magazine has done 2 more similar ones with Oliver ekman-Larsson(yotes) and John Klingberg(stars). This Apartment Petey bought recently in the town of Sundsvall in northern swedn a few miles from his hometown. He did look like he had a bit more on his arms so hoping he comes prepared for the next season.

He really does look a bit more physically mature as he turns from boy to man.  Glad he's here so we can watch it all unfold...to think he could get stronger/better is quite something.  I don't want him to "beef up", in that it changes his style of play.  But he's not afraid of going back at others so a bit more weight behind him is an asset for sure.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

i also enjoyed the pic of the garage shown on the screen there where u can see how broken it is from all the pucks he shot. At the end he also mentions he is never satisfied with himself and always wants more and to improve. and as with most competitive people he hates to lose.  Also that he feels good about the upcoming season and hopes it will be an improvement from last season. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mrwipeout said:

i also enjoyed the pic of the garage shown on the screen there where u can see how broken it is from all the pucks he shot. At the end he also mentions he is never satisfied with himself and always wants more and to improve. and as with most competitive people he hates to lose.  Also that he feels good about the upcoming season and hopes it will be an improvement from last season. 

Top shelf shots lol

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson got 66 in 71 games last year as a rookie, playing with several different wingers. This year he's a bit bigger (and stronger I think?) and will have two very good wingers on his line. Not to mention what affect Quinn Hughes could have on the offence. Pettersson is such a smart, creative player, I think he'll figure out how to still be successful. Maybe even be better. My guess, based on 82 games:

Pettersson - 80

Horvat - 70

Boeser - 67

Miller - 58

Hughes - 45

What about Ferland? I think, if he remains healthy, gets 40-45 points this year. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

What about Ferland? I think, if he remains healthy, gets 40-45 points this year. 

Ferland is one of those guys that, at his contract and style of play, anything over 40 pts is gravy. 

The exciting thing for me is the pace at which he was able to produce playing with skilled players in the past. 

Watch again his highlights from 17-18 season playing top line in Calgary and imagine Petey and Boes instead of Johnny Hockey and Monahan.  And remember, Ferland scored nearly all of his goals by christmas. If this could in any way be replicated by the big fella over the course of a season, or string of seasons, than we could have a line combo for the history books people!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

So.. Petey has been eating his vegetables

fb81a24.png

Dang, that's not a small change. His body will definitely feel different next year. That's gotta be at least 10 pounds--maybe even 15.