The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wahlstrom is a big boy. (over 200) I wonder if he and Barzal are together next season?

It's honestly possible he's pretty stacked for a kid and the shot and talent are there! 

On 2018-06-28 at 12:27 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'd like to see why Wise was taken where he was. Maybe there's some information on him that the professionals are aware of that we aren't.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread, that his skating is very poor for a guy his size, and was courioius what’s the hype.So he’s pretty much a top 6 guy or nothing player, (rob schremp, shirokov). High risk. 

Madden is is also considered a (bracket pick) so I understand the reasoning behind this.  He’s also a highly skilled player that plays a hard forechecking game and a great skater, so at the end of the day madden has a superior chance at making the nhl over wise.

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread, that his skating is very poor for a guy his size, and was courioius what’s the hype.So he’s pretty much a top 6 guy or nothing player, (rob schremp, shirokov). High risk. 

Madden is is also considered a (bracket pick) so I understand the reasoning behind this.  He’s also a highly skilled player that plays a hard forechecking game and a great skater, so at the end of the day madden has a superior chance at making the nhl over wise.

Yeah I thought I saw somebody post he had a low hockey iq. They raved about Madden having a great hockey iq and has skills that should translate into more points. When he gets on a better team I’m sure we’ll see Madden become more productive.

Whoa whoa what. I said this as a joke a while back and Boqvist actually did it. London now has Bouchard AND Boqvist on their team. Talk about creating offense from your defense...

I wonder how much influence Chicago had on this decision. Boqvist could've played in the SHL or AHL next year, but they preferred this. He is still one of the youngest in this draft so playing him against kids his age on North American ice doesn't seem like the worst idea. 

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Whoa whoa what. I said this as a joke a while back and Boqvist actually did it. London now has Bouchard AND Boqvist on their team. Talk about creating offense from your defense...

I wonder how much influence Chicago had on this decision. Boqvist could've played in the SHL or AHL next year, but they preferred this. He is still one of the youngest in this draft so playing him against kids his age on North American ice doesn't seem like the worst idea. 

Boqvist was the guy I wanted. I’m excited to see how he does in the CHL as I believe if he came over early he probably would have been picked top 5. Also will be fun and easier to compare Boqvist and Bouchard.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Boqvist was the guy I wanted. I’m excited to see how he does in the CHL as I believe if he came over early he probably would have been picked top 5. Also will be fun and easier to compare Boqvist and Bouchard.

The Oilers will probably want Bouchard with them...and Hughes will prevail between the 2...but it will be fun to watch them grow up playing against each other....

On 2018-06-21 at 5:28 PM, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Being the poker  player that  i am leads me to believe that Benning has a variety of “Tells” .

he holds his cards tight and magnifies other players he may not be necessarily interested in. 

I initially thought that boqvist was his man but now im kind of leaning towards Hughes, just a hunch really but i do beleive offensive defenseman are regarded fairly high on his list

Figured id wait a bit before saying i called it

27 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Get an inside look at the Canucks 2018 NHL Draft as Jim Benning, John Weisbrod and Judd Brackett continue to build for the future of the team.

I love these. There's some neat info in there, particularly about picking goalies late and preferring one's going to college. 

20 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Get an inside look at the Canucks 2018 NHL Draft as Jim Benning, John Weisbrod and Judd Brackett continue to build for the future of the team.

Very interesting video. I was interested to see how strong the Canucks were on Woo. They were apparently going to trade that pick to get an extra later pick if Woo was gone. A similar thing happened in the third round. In retrospect, I was kind of surprised that they did not make the trade for the third round pick.

I continue to be very impressed by Judd Brackett. He just seems to be really on top of everything. As director of amateur scouting I guess you would expect that. I think that the 2017 and 2018 drafts were very good (although it is still very early to assess 2018), and Brackett deserves a lot of credit.I just hope he stays with the Canucks, I see him as a future GM. I hope that is with the Canucks. Right now the Canucks have three guys who could be viewed as the heir apparent: Brackett, Johnson, and Weisbrod if the Canucks promote from within when Benning goes.

Good call on going with Madden over a goalie. I know the saying you can never have too many good goalies, but with Demko, Dipietro, and Thiessen, I think we're deep enough for now. Our center depth, although decent, still needs some work.

In 4 or 5 years hopefully when Madden is ready, we'll have Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette down the middle with Madden centering the fourth line.

They sure had a lot of offers to move down. It seems that teams that want to move up are the teams with a good drafting record and see a good player dropping. Fortunately, Benning and his staff also draft well and wait to see if their players they rate highly drop to them. 

I know after the first round Benning said there were a couple of guys they had their eye on (turns out one of them was Woo) for pick number 37. St. Louis Blues (especially wanted to get our #37) and Minnesota (both teams have very good drafting records) wanted to move up to our pick. Woo dropped to us so we didn't move it. A team worse at drafting would not have identified Woo for example and may have moved that second rounder for two 3rd rounders.

A team that drafts poorly would have probably struck out on those two 3rd rounders. They would have ended up with more picks but at the end of the day just ended up with only their first rounder making the NHL. Decent drafting teams get at least a couple of players each draft (usually from their highest picks). Teams that draft very well are able to consistently get NHLers outside of the first two rounds. I am so happy that our team is one of these. Benning expects to be able to get 4 players each draft class. So when I look at any player Benning and his staff draft from round 5 and up, I am expecting an NHLer of some form in the future.

1 hour ago, Alexandre said:

They sure had a lot of offers to move down. It seems that teams that want to move up are the teams with a good drafting record and see a good player dropping. Fortunately, Benning and his staff also draft well and wait to see if their players they rate highly drop to them. 

I know after the first round Benning said there were a couple of guys they had their eye on (turns out one of them was Woo) for pick number 37. St. Louis Blues (especially wanted to get our #37) and Minnesota (both teams have very good drafting records) wanted to move up to our pick. Woo dropped to us so we didn't move it. A team worse at drafting would not have identified Woo for example and may have moved that second rounder for two 3rd rounders.

A team that drafts poorly would have probably struck out on those two 3rd rounders. They would have ended up with more picks but at the end of the day just ended up with only their first rounder making the NHL. Decent drafting teams get at least a couple of players each draft (usually from their highest picks). Teams that draft very well are able to consistently get NHLers outside of the first two rounds. I am so happy that our team is one of these. Benning expects to be able to get 4 players each draft class. So when I look at any player Benning and his staff draft from round 5 and up, I am expecting an NHLer of some form in the future.

Getting 4 NHL players from every single draft would be ridiculous. If we did that more than twice given the quality of picks we have in each round that would be incredible. 

17 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Getting 4 NHL players from every single draft would be ridiculous. If we did that more than twice given the quality of picks we have in each round that would be incredible. 

He's already trending that way based on his past drafts.

2014 - Virtanen, McCann, Tryamkn, Forsling, Demko

2015 - Boeser, Brisebois, Gaudette Jasek

2016 - Juolevi, Lockwood (Not a good draft with the lack of a 2nd round pick)

2017 - Looking pretty promising

2018 - ?

So the only real "bad" draft so far seems to be 2016 based on potential NHLers. Still a good chance it produces two players for us, plus the acquisition of Dahlen who was in the 2016 draft class, and it's potentially 3 players.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That's what Benning has stated more than once and I believe him and yes that would be incredible. Imagine the speed of the rebuild when you are getting 4 NHLers per draft!

I am excited to see what Woo can do with more offensive opportunities next year. To start the year he was used in all situations and was near a point per game with 16 points in 18 games. Got hurt and his team traded for Clague. Lost his spot on the PP and top pairing and got put in a defensive role. Clague along with other dmen will be moving onto the AHL and Woo should be an every situation guy again. I really do think he could surprise us all next year.

23 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Fun to watch. Shows clearly how happy the team was with this draft. With Hughes, they’re positively giddy (as was I). And Woo is pretty clearly their guy from the opening of day two (really sounds like he was a clear first rounder on their list).

Madden they’re also obviously quite high on and had targeted on their lists well ahead of the spot he’s drafted. Sounds like they were considering Skarek with that pick and probably had him as the top goalie in the draft (as did I). I really like the bit where Judd says he sees Madden replacing “our guy” (Gaudette) in his role with Northeastern. Should be fun to watch if TM has a similar development path to AG. 

Then there’s Manukyan, who again, they all seem really excited about at the table.

As for Utunen and Thiessen, they’re less animated about them in the clips, but both were solid picks and from post draft comments it seems like they were happy getting both in the spots they were picked. I also like the bit where Judd basically says CHL goalies in the late rounds rarely ever pan out. Definitely a smarter move to go with the NCAA bound netminder in the 7th.

Brackett always impresses me in these videos. Probably the best drafting decision Benning’s made since coming to Vancouver was promoting Judd to director of scouting and just letting Brackett basically run the draft table for these last couple years. Jim clearly still has the final say on everything but it’s interesting to watch how much everyone looks to Judd to make the call on most of the draft day decisions, even including the trades. This is what you want from a scouting department and its director and it seems like the Canucks are finally in a really good place with their draft table. It’s taken decades and several GMs for us to get here, so credit to Benning for finally putting a draft system and personnel in place in Vancouver that seems to be working well and likely should pay dividends for years to come.

14 hours ago, Alexandre said:

That's what Benning has stated more than once and I believe him and yes that would be incredible. Imagine the speed of the rebuild when you are getting 4 NHLers per draft!

this is what I've been saying since benning's first year, when the media and fans were constantly screeching about benning trading 2nd rounders for projects or "throwing in" late round picks in trades. the guy has draft swagger. he genuinely believes he can afford to "waste" picks in that fashion because he KNOWS he's going to hit on a higher percentage of his picks than virtually anyone else. 

Archived