The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

4 hours ago, Borvat said:

It's gonna be difficult for him to leave his brother. Another year of college delays his need to leave.  Tough call for a young man.  Looking at the map of NHL teams there are quite a few a lot closer. Vancouver is basically as far as it gets away from his family.  At least Utica is fairly close it may help him to sign and buys him another year.

Maybe the Canucks Autism Network (CAN) can play a role here. I've seen them do good things. 

• Cheers 2

My good friends brother is Tanner Macmaster. He played in Utica last year and he told his brother Rathbone was unreal, by far the best defenseman at training camp. He said

he was far better than Juolevi. He also told us that at training camp the Fins were really disliked. Especially Petrus Palmu, and a month after he said that Palmu ran away back to Finland.

• Cheers 1

On 3/10/2020 at 11:34 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, he’s listed at 176, but I read last year that he is actually 5’11 and 190 which watching him play makes a lot more sense since he seems pretty robust.

Harvard lists him at 190 lbs, and I believe that was from weigh-ins near the start of the season. Would not be surprised if he’s gotten stronger and added even more mass, given that he’s known to push really hard in the gym and has made significant gains during previous seasons. I think it’s a fair bet that Rathbone, in his professional prime years of his mid-20s, will be playing at around 200 lbs.

• Cheers 1

On 3/12/2020 at 1:59 AM, EP4EVA said:

My good friends brother is Tanner Macmaster. He played in Utica last year and he told his brother Rathbone was unreal, by far the best defenseman at training camp. He said

he was far better than Juolevi. He also told us that at training camp the Fins were really disliked. Especially Petrus Palmu, and a month after he said that Palmu ran away back to Finland.

Assuming we are talking development camp because I don't think Rathbone (and college players) are eligible for training camp, the year MacMaster was there, Juolevi wasn't (injury I believe). Juolevi was listed for training camp and so was MacMaster, but the competition is far different, so not sure how he is assessing the two in comparison. Keeping in mind that OJ wasn't 100% either and not long into the season was shut down. Doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

If it's true that there was some dislike towards Finns, I would suggest that there is also bias in the assessment.

Palmu was good buddies with Gadjovich, so is Gadjovich's character also in question? Doesn't seem to fit the way we have been drafting.

I mean everything you are saying could be true, but it just doesn't all seem to add up.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Assuming we are talking development camp because I don't think Rathbone (and college players) are eligible for training camp, the year MacMaster was there, Juolevi wasn't (injury I believe). Juolevi was listed for training camp and so was MacMaster, but the competition is far different, so not sure how he is assessing the two in comparison. Keeping in mind that OJ wasn't 100% either and not long into the season was shut down. Doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

If it's true that there was some dislike towards Finns, I would suggest that there is also bias in the assessment.

Palmu was good buddies with Gadjovich, so is Gadjovich's character also in question? Doesn't seem to fit the way we have been drafting.

I mean everything you are saying could be true, but it just doesn't all seem to add up.

Doesn’t matter.  Bone is a serious player, and will part of our top four next season.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Doesn’t matter.  Bone is a serious player, and will part of our top four next season.

Bone will play in Utica next year.  However the year after yes I can see him in our top 4.  At this point he is ahead of Juolevi and I can see Bone as the replacement to Edler with a bigger meaner player taking the 3rd spot on the left side.  Either Tryamkin if he doesn't crack the top 4 or if he does a player like Joel Edmundson.  Trade Boeser for Parayko and sign Edmundson as a UFA...

Hughes         Parayko

Rathbone      Tryamkin

Edmundson   Rafferty

That could be the filthiest defence in the NHL...

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

43 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

He’s a left hand shot. Hughes and Edler are ahead of him, so no, he won’t be top four. 

Now that poster says Rathbone is a top 4 NHL player??  Haha....good god that is ridiculous. Maybe one day after he has played in the NHL.....or maybe he never makes it. 

But the same poster says Juolevi is better than Rasmus Dahlin so that pretty much sums up their skill in rating hockey players hahaha....

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bone will play in Utica next year.  However the year after yes I can see him in our top 4.  At this point he is ahead of Juolevi and I can see Bone as the replacement to Edler with a bigger meaner player taking the 3rd spot on the left side.  Either Tryamkin if he doesn't crack the top 4 or if he does a player like Joel Edmundson.  Trade Boeser for Parayko and sign Edmundson as a UFA...

Hughes         Parayko

Rathbone      Tryamkin

Edmundson   Rafferty

That could be the filthiest defence in the NHL...

Why does STL trade Parayko?

Oh yeah....they don't lol.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Why does STL trade Parayko?

Oh yeah....they don't lol.

They need $10 million for Pietrangelo.  And they have Faulk at $6.5 million.  Can they afford to keep Parayko who may want $8 million in a couple years?  That's a pretty expensive right side of defence.  Maybe they want to move the cap money around to other areas like the forward group...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They need $10 million for Pietrangelo.  And they have Faulk at $6.5 million.  Can they afford to keep Parayko who may want $8 million in a couple years?  That's a pretty expensive right side of defence.  Maybe they want to move the cap money around to other areas like the forward group...

I don't care about cap issues. Teams have professionals to figure that out.

But what I do know is that teams don't trade 26 year old 6'6" 230 right hand top pairing defensemen.  Never.

image.png.54bd627016fd74d59d01a2c2db7011d8.png

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't care about cap issues. Teams have professionals to figure that out.

But what I do know is that teams don't trade 26 year old 6'6" 230 right hand top pairing defensemen.  Never.

image.png.54bd627016fd74d59d01a2c2db7011d8.png

You may not care about cap issues but the St. Louis GM might.  I am sure they have a capologist.  And I am sure if they have to pay Pietrangelo $10 million over 7 years then they have to consider the cap issues moving forward when they need to pay Parayko his new deal.  Parayko's contract is up in 2 years.  If they can't afford to pay him what he wants what will they do?  It's not as easy as trading players as they have many guys on long term deals.  They also have to consider signing Binnington to a long term deal.  His cap hit could be $7-8 million on a long term deal.

Also, you are incorrect about teams never trading top pairing right handed defencemen.  Nashville did it twice when they traded Seth Jones and then Shea Weber.  They traded Jones to get a #1 centre.  They traded Weber to get a more mobile Norris trophy winning defencemen.  Not saying they won those trades but they did make them.

19 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You may not care about cap issues but the St. Louis GM might.  I am sure they have a capologist.  And I am sure if they have to pay Pietrangelo $10 million over 7 years then they have to consider the cap issues moving forward when they need to pay Parayko his new deal.  Parayko's contract is up in 2 years.  If they can't afford to pay him what he wants what will they do?  It's not as easy as trading players as they have many guys on long term deals.  They also have to consider signing Binnington to a long term deal.  His cap hit could be $7-8 million on a long term deal.

Also, you are incorrect about teams never trading top pairing right handed defencemen.  Nashville did it twice when they traded Seth Jones and then Shea Weber.  They traded Jones to get a #1 centre.  They traded Weber to get a more mobile Norris trophy winning defencemen.  Not saying they won those trades but they did make them.

Much more likely that they let the older, more expensive player walk rather than move their younger, cost controlled asset who could effectively replace him. 

I get that he's their captain, but tough decisions have to be made. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1