The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think when all’s said and done, Rathbone will sign with the Canucks, and it’ll be similar to Lockwood where we’ll eventually learn that Jack basically told Benning, when I’m ready, I’ll sign with Vancouver, and other teams don’t even enter the equation (like Lockwood did last year when he told JB not to worry about him holding out and that Vancouver was his only NHL choice).

Rathbone, to me, is of a similar model to guys like Gaudette and Lockwood. Fiercely loyal, extremely motivated and hard working, with a great appreciation for the team that drafted/believed in him, and committed to starting his pro career with his draft team. I don’t see a free agency hold out as something he really considers as an career option, mostly just on principle.

Rathbone has basically said as much in several past interviews. And when you listen to guys like IMac, who have sources inside the Canucks, they’re basically telegraphing a message that Rathbone isn’t signing anywhere but Vancouver. I suspect it’s just a matter of that they don’t want to come out and say it until the ink is dry on an ELC, but that everyone knows that, when Jack is ready, he’s gonna be a Canuck.

EDIT: If I’m wrong and Rathbone does hold out and sign with the Bruins, I’ll probably start the day with eating my hat for breakfast, and then head downtown to start a riot.

I will join the riot via skype.

Social distancing and all. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I'm left wondering what is going to chnage in the next few weeks. What factors is making this a difficult choice?

Just a guess on my part, but would not be surprised if he wanted to be with his family right now as he is reportedly very close to his younger brother esp. with this pandemic going on.

34 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Just a guess on my part, but would not be surprised if he wanted to be with his family right now as he is reportedly very close to his younger brother esp. with this pandemic going on.

True but the choice is really about next September rather than today ?

There is no rush from his perspective.  No hockey being played and the world is dealing with a pandemic.  If I make a guess I think he goes back to school for another year and stays close to home, especially with what's happening in the US.  He is only 20 and has tons of time to play hockey and earn money.

It really sucks Vancouver is so far from his home.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/prospect-jack-rathbone-pauses-pro-decision-canucks-rave-talent/

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I'm left wondering what is going to chnage in the next few weeks. What factors is making this a difficult choice?

Only 1 logical answer to this question for me, JR wants to see if the NHL season will resume...if it does he would likely want to sign a deal that burns 1 year of his ELC and get some $$ at the same time.

It doesn't takes weeks on weeks to decide this. Your either going to school to finish your degree or you want to become a PRO athlete. If he wants to be close to his bro, he would tell the Canucks and we would accomodate that via trade. But, he has been out spoken about wanting to be a Canuck so...

• Cheers 2

There’s a good article on SN about him delaying his decision.  

siu da line he feels like he had the rug pulled out from under him by the sudden end to school and hockey due to covid-19 and he wants to take time and get through this situation before making a decision 

“The Canucks have expressed interest (in having me turn pro) and that’s something I’m really excited about because it means I’m taking the right steps. But honestly, with everything going and how chaotic things are, and school stopping and hockey coming to an abrupt end like it has, my family and I just didn’t feel this is the right time to make that decision. It just didn’t feel right. We’re going to make that decision later on.”

Rathbone is a very exciting prospect that might make quick transition to the NHL.. I feel his stats this year might be miss leading as Harvard has 3 forwards in top 4 in scoring in there NCAA Division..I think Jake has 31 points in 28 games...Rathbone with be a very good D man maybe #4 guy solid two way D man with great skating... Can't imagine Hughes and Rathbone playing together in near future..Very exciting

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, wildcam said:

Rathbone is a very exciting prospect that might make quick transition to the NHL.. I feel his stats this year might be miss leading as Harvard has 3 forwards in top 4 in scoring in there NCAA Division..I think Jake has 31 points in 28 games...Rathbone with be a very good D man maybe #4 guy solid two way D man with great skating... Can't imagine Hughes and Rathbone playing together in near future..Very exciting

I do't think he's far away from NHL, but I think he's going to need a few months in Utica to brush up on defensive play a little. He's going to be facing a lot faster and stronger group of forwards, personally, I don't think his defensive game is quite where Hughes was when he left University. Time will tell though, hoping he signs and we can get a good look at him against NHL level players in training camp, whenever that actually is...

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I do't think he's far away from NHL, but I think he's going to need a few months in Utica to brush up on defensive play a little. He's going to be facing a lot faster and stronger group of forwards, personally, I don't think his defensive game is quite where Hughes was when he left University. Time will tell though, hoping he signs and we can get a good look at him against NHL level players in training camp, whenever that actually is...

Why would he need to brush up on defense? Defensive Breakdowns are a Canucks specialty.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm not a gauge fan of burning first year so early.I hope he signs. Plus later on we're going to need good ELCs like him when we start running into the cap. 

No doubt. If we somehow manage to ink Rathbone this year, we get him for a full 3 years, 2020-21 through 2022-23, no year burned, and no reduced length for over 21 years old. Would be ideal.

Having Rathbone in the lineup, potentially for 3 NHL seasons, at an ELC rate, would be a great benefit to a team with a cap situation like Vancouver.

• Cheers 1

Sign him, let him compete at training camp till the bitter end, best case scenario he makes the team out of camp and can either stick or as I see it gain valuable time with the team and trainers before eventually being sent down to Utica to get regular ice time. He can play up to 9 NHL games and then get sent down and his contract can slide no? Think a full year in the A wouldn't be the worst thing for him, unless he adjusts quickly to the size and speed of players and pushes the Canucks to recall him earlier due to earning the shot at the NHL level

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Sign him, let him compete at training camp till the bitter end, best case scenario he makes the team out of camp and can either stick or as I see it gain valuable time with the team and trainers before eventually being sent down to Utica to get regular ice time. He can play up to 9 NHL games and then get sent down and his contract can slide no? Think a full year in the A wouldn't be the worst thing for him, unless he adjusts quickly to the size and speed of players and pushes the Canucks to recall him earlier due to earning the shot at the NHL level

Only applies to junior players. If he's playing in the AHL, his contract starts ticking.

I suspect that had the season played out as usual, he'd have been keen to sign ASAP. because he would get to FA a year quicker. Now he can't write off a year of his ELC with 9-10 games at the end of the season, so ….. he's saying what's the rush their is no advantage to me signing until Spring 2021. There may be a ruling by the NHL in the near future covering this eventuality but I'm not holding my breath