The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

I honestly am questioning whether Rathbone will need a year in Utica

These has been a lot of NCAA Dmen that have gone straight onto their NHL club rather than go to their farm teams.

I think one thing is that they are better prepared having played with young men for 2 years.....

Either way, Benning has a nice problem...….

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I honestly am questioning whether Rathbone will need a year in Utica

These has been a lot of NCAA Dmen that have gone straight onto their NHL club rather than go to their farm teams.

I think one thing is that they are better prepared having played with young men for 2 years.....

Either way, Benning has a nice problem...….

The reality is next fall all we have is Hughes, Myers and Edler. Lots of opportunity for the prospects. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The reality is next fall all we have is Hughes, Myers and Edler. Lots of opportunity for the prospects. 

I’m hoping to see some of these guys on our D next season to go with Hughes, Eddy, and Myers.  Rathbone, OJ, Rafferty, and Tryamkin.  I think we resign Tanev though, because that’s just too much inexperience on D.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I agree Boudrais. It is an amazing time for an infusion of new talent. It will be interesting to see who of Tryamkin, Rafferty, Juolevi, Rathbone, Brisebois all have a very good chance of displacing one of current Dmen. The question will be, if they can raise their game. 

The sleeper to me is Brisebois, as he does not get a lot of press, but has done a great job over the past few years. A steady journeyman Dman. Not saying he will be a top 4, but more a 5/6/7/8. We shall see.

So much potential!

I agree two of the younger guys will push out the older ones.  But how much term should older guy, who we keep, get?  Like Tanev, who is clearly better than the younger guys now?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I agree two of the younger guys will push out the older ones.  But how much term should older guy, who we keep, get?  Like Tanev, who is clearly better than the younger guys now?

I’d let Tanev walk unless he takes a sweetheart deal. focus on re-signing  Marky and Toffoli, and make a couple hockey trades. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

This is a good question Alf

Both Tryamkin and Rafferty maybe better than Tanev within a couple of year, or they may never. The same could be said for Juolevi and Rathbone replacing Edler.

IMO, at some point you have to trust your young guys are able to step in. If JB has one fault that drives me crazy, is his lack of being able to forecast both his prospects

future abilities and his current player rate of decline.

We are close to having a bottle neck where, we have too many players for the spots they would be slot into, and "IF" the prospects are able to win the spots, and "IF" JB signs Tanev long term, it will result in either letting young prospects walk, or loosing asset to move a veteran, as I am pretty sure Tanev will ask for a NTC somewhere in there.

So, I would rather take the risk now, while the other players are all young, than have no one to fill in later...…...but a lot of it depends on whether Tryamkin is actually coming over and whether Rathbone signs with us...to me that is the bigger question. Kind of a muddy answer, but I seriously do not know exactly how good these new players will be, as is the same with Raffery and Juolevi...…...

Certainly, at some time Benning will have to take a risk.

PS

As part of my opinion, I am sceptic that Benning ability to move players that are pushed out, as he said he could. I think about Eriksson and Baertschi as current  examples of that. Whether it is the cost to do such a thing (teams wanting our assets) or whether they just won't take them period......it begs the question

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 1:02 PM, janisahockeynut said:

As part of my opinion, I am sceptic that Benning ability to move players that are pushed out, as he said he could. I think about Eriksson and Baertschi as current  examples of that. Whether it is the cost to do such a thing (teams wanting our assets) or whether they just won't take them period......it begs the question

Don't disagree, but Benning hasn't really been hurting in a cap or contract perspective. He's been able to sign the guys he wants while drafting extremely well. Personally I hope we surrender next years pick as Im sure Benning can steal a top 5 pick with the top 15 we will have. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Don't disagree, but Benning hasn't really been hurting in a cap or contract perspective. He's been able to sign the guys he wants while drafting extremely well. Personally I hope we surrender next years pick as Im sure Benning can steal a top 5 pick with the top 15 we will have. 

If you are meaning next as in 2021-2022

or are you meaning next year as in 2020-2021

Because I am getting spoiled and would love for Benning to have a first in this years draft......

56 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

If you are meaning next as in 2021-2022

or are you meaning next year as in 2020-2021

Because I am getting spoiled and would love for Benning to have a first in this years draft......

Surrender 2021 pick and keep this drafts.

Leaves more time to reacquire a 1st for the year after

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Surrender 2021 pick and keep this drafts.

Leaves more time to reacquire a 1st for the year after

I feel exactly the same way......to me we have to keep the prospect train going, and now that we traded Madden and the first, it will create a gap.....I don't like that

so, sure loose the 2nd this year and the 1st next year, still gives us a young high pick prospect each year...….

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I feel exactly the same way......to me we have to keep the prospect train going, and now that we traded Madden and the first, it will create a gap.....I don't like that

so, sure loose the 2nd this year and the 1st next year, still gives us a young high pick prospect each year...….

Thing is Jim isn't gillis......

Jim can afford to make trades like that cause he can restock the pipeline.....

also look down the road..... VP won't be here for one more season and hoglander might be ready next season or he ends up in the ahl , the list goes on and that's not touching on the guys we will draft in the next couple drafts.....

I think this draft Jim will do something big.....kinda like the oilers when they traded hall.....

I think Jim will go after a mean stay at home d man for Hughes cause tanev is to soft.....also adding some real toughness wouldn't be a bad thing no more pests please ha 

jim has the pieces to do something.......

for sure with our winger depth......

so dont worry we arnt going back to the dark days ha

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

We still have a deep prospect pool (and we continue to sign players like Rafferty, MacEwen, Michaelis, etc). At some point there is no more room for young players and you have to build a team to make a push. We could also just as easily draft a dud (or get a player that has unforseen injury issues setting them back) and it would be the same as if we had moved those picks for nothing. However, with those picks, we have acquired two top 6 forwards, something we could only dream for those picks to become.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We still have a deep prospect pool (and we continue to sign players like Rafferty, MacEwen, Michaelis, etc). At some point there is no more room for young players and you have to build a team to make a push. We could also just as easily draft a dud (or get a player that has unforseen injury issues setting them back) and it would be the same as if we had moved those picks for nothing. However, with those picks, we have acquired two top 6 forwards, something we could only dream for those picks to become.

Please don't get me wrong...…...we do have a deep prospect pool (Ranked 4th this year) and I am good with JB's trades...……...…...my only point is we must keep it going, we must always attempt tp deepen the pool and strengthen the big club. So as you point out, it is important to keep it coming!

Besides, it is exciting seeing all these kids develop...……….

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Please don't get me wrong...…...we do have a deep prospect pool (Ranked 4th this year) and I am good with JB's trades...……...…...my only point is we must keep it going, we must always attempt tp deepen the pool and strengthen the big club. So as you point out, it is important to keep it coming!

Besides, it is exciting seeing all these kids develop...……….

We will keep it going. We are finding good prospects in the later rounds. We just signed Lockwood who was a 3rd rounder, we are hoping Tryamkin returns who's a 3rd rounder, the hyped up Madden was a 3rd rounder. We have found players like Gaudette in the 5th round. We have a solid prospect in Rathbone found in the 4th round (who some believe has surpassed our top 5 pick in Juolevi). We got Focht in the 4th round who probably made it more comfortable to move someone like Madden. And we just signed one of the better college UFA in Michaelis (amongst others in the past). We can afford to use up some top picks with the prospect pool that we have, but it's important to acquire the right pieces and I believe we have in a relatively cheap top line forward and another top 6 forward currently also playing on our top offensive line. If we re-sign him, it makes it that much better.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/19/2020 at 10:35 AM, janisahockeynut said:

I agree Boudrais. It is an amazing time for an infusion of new talent. It will be interesting to see who of Tryamkin, Rafferty, Juolevi, Rathbone, Brisebois all have a very good chance of displacing one of current Dmen. The question will be, if they can raise their game. 

The sleeper to me is Brisebois, as he does not get a lot of press, but has done a great job over the past few years. A steady journeyman Dman. Not saying he will be a top 4, but more a 5/6/7/8. We shall see.

So much potential!

Hope Brisebois continues to develop....he is the top "+" player on Utica and also gets points.

He was taken before Cirelli in the draft....it would be good to see him develop into an good NHL defenceman so that passing on Cirelli doesn't look as bad.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Hope Brisebois continues to develop....he is the top "+" player on Utica and also gets points.

He was taken before Cirelli in the draft....it would be good to see him develop into an good NHL defenceman so that passing on Cirelli doesn't look as bad.

I don't think it looks bad on Benning to have passed on Cirelli and taken Brisebois...…..reason being that hind sight is 20/20 and a lot of other managers passed on him too.

I would like Brisebois to become the best he can be , just because we have him...…..I keep on getting the feeling that this guy will one day turn into a solid 3/4.....IMO, his 

defensive attributes are exceptional, and that alone, could put him on the Canucks, depending on our depth. I hope he finds a little more offense...…….I was hoping

he would get a look up here this year.....a good look......

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't think it looks bad on Benning to have passed on Cirelli and taken Brisebois...…..reason being that hind sight is 20/20 and a lot of other managers passed on him too.

I would like Brisebois to become the best he can be , just because we have him...…..I keep on getting the feeling that this guy will one day turn into a solid 3/4.....IMO, his 

defensive attributes are exceptional, and that alone, could put him on the Canucks, depending on our depth. I hope he finds a little more offense...…….I was hoping

he would get a look up here this year.....a good look......

Yeah...got a feeling that Brisebois, Tryamkin, Rafferty and OJ could change the face of the Canucks in less than a year maybe 2.

Myers, Elder can be the vets the next two years that can lead the "D"...along with Hughes...I heard a late first was offered for Tanev a while back....don't know if Tanev can gardener a 1st round pick or not, now...and maybe Stech can get an early 2nd round pick and late round pick. 

In...Rafferty, Tryamkin, Brisebois and OJ, first round pick, 2nd round and 6th round picks

Out...Tanev, Stech, Fantenberg, Benn

This being a Rathbone thread...he might have to develop in Utica for a few years...because of the depth.

Edited by Pete M