The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

So what’s going on with Rathbone? Seems like signing isn’t high on his to do list...but the world has stopped right now.

he seems like a smart kid. He loves college, I just hope he wants to be Canuck someday, but who knows maybe hes looking at waiting it out so he can sign with hometown Boston...I really hope not.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/rathbone-one-day-was-preparing-for-2nd-round-of-playoffs-next-day-it-was-over-1.1459364

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

So what’s going on with Rathbone? Seems like signing isn’t high on his to do list...but the world has stopped right now.

he seems like a smart kid. He loves college, I just hope he wants to be Canuck someday, but who knows maybe hes looking at waiting it out so he can sign with hometown Boston...I really hope not.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/rathbone-one-day-was-preparing-for-2nd-round-of-playoffs-next-day-it-was-over-1.1459364

I would think he'd sign and not lose a year of earning potential, but if he thinks he'll be parked in Utica then maybe going back to college and becoming a FA in a year is the best for him. If he's not signed in the next couple of weeks I could see him being moved at the draft. But I sure hope he does want to be here. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/23/2020 at 8:00 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I would think he'd sign and not lose a year of earning potential, but if he thinks he'll be parked in Utica then maybe going back to college and becoming a FA in a year is the best for him. If he's not signed in the next couple of weeks I could see him being moved at the draft. But I sure hope he does want to be here. 

I'd like to think of Rathbone more like Lockwood, yeah he could become an FA but I think he appreciates everything the Canucks have done for him and will sign even if he does go back to finish his degree. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Couple good vids from @DanielGScouting that highlight Rathbone’s defensive ability:

Everyone knows about Jack’s skating, big shot, and offensive ability, but I don’t think everyone appreciates just how solid he is defensively (or how physical he plays).

Easy to see why the Canucks are itching to get this kid inked to an ELC. 

If and when we get Rathbone signed, I would not be the least bit surprised if he earns a roster spot out of his first NHL camp.

Good insight, always appreciated! Hope the kid decides to sign and come to camp and show what he can do. nothing wrong with him joining Utica to start his pro career and get some decent ice time. 

I know there is no rush, but hoping soon his decision can be made either way.

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Couple good vids from @DanielGScouting that highlight Rathbone’s defensive ability:

Everyone knows about Jack’s skating, big shot, and offensive ability, but I don’t think everyone appreciates just how solid he is defensively (or how physical he plays).

If and when we get Rathbone signed, I would not be the least bit surprised if he earns a roster spot out of his first NHL camp.

Absolutely, I posted on here nearly a year ago a report from his coach - he had started last year paired with Fox and Rathbone had a very hot offensive start, but the team was suffering from weak defensive play, so he moved Rathbone to the second unit and used him to neutralize other teams' offence - which is why Rathbone went into a period of low offence for about a quarter of last season till he had adjusted to his new role and added offence back into his game.  This year he inherited Fox's role as number one and did it all for the team. In that context reports of his D being deficient and needing improvement strike me as a bit jarring. I believe the same article from last year pointed out that Rathbone was a workout nut and had increased his size to 5'11 and 190 pounds - not that the workouts improved his height, of course!

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Reminds me of Hamhuis.

Smooth skater in all directions and positonallt sound with a good stick.

Yes - defensively - but according to Brackett he also has a canon for a shot and I posted a couple of months ago a couple of 150 foot laser passes from behind his goal line in the right corner (he is a left hand shot) right onto the stick of the left winder at the opposite blue line for breakaway assists for his teammate - good as Hamhuis was - he never had that in his arsenal. But if Rathbone turned into a young version of Hamhuis, I would definitely take that! A guy who could put up nearly forty points in his best years and be that good in his own end would be a blessing to darn near any team.  Now if we could just find another Bieksa... course I'd ONLY want another Bieksa for his sense of humour...

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yes - defensively - but according to Brackett he also has a canon for a shot and I posted a couple of months ago a couple of 150 foot laser passes from behind his goal line in the right corner (he is a left hand shot) right onto the stick of the left winder at the opposite blue line for breakaway assists for his teammate - good as Hamhuis was - he never had that in his arsenal. But if Rathbone turned into a young version of Hamhuis, I would definitely take that! A guy who could put up nearly forty points in his best years and be that good in his own end would be a blessing to darn near any team.  Now if we could just find another Bieksa... course I'd ONLY want another Bieksa for his sense of humour...

B)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Boston area kid who wants to stay close to his family, particularly his brother. He's UFA in a year. I think he goes back to school for another year and signs with Bruins. 

Doesn't he have to do the full 4 years before he can turn UFA?  If so, then he can't do that for 2 more years.

59 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Boston area kid who wants to stay close to his family, particularly his brother. He's UFA in a year. I think he goes back to school for another year and signs with Bruins. 

I think when all’s said and done, Rathbone will sign with the Canucks, and it’ll be similar to Lockwood where we’ll eventually learn that Jack basically told Benning, when I’m ready, I’ll sign with Vancouver, and other teams don’t even enter the equation (like Lockwood did last year when he told JB not to worry about him holding out and that Vancouver was his only NHL choice).

Rathbone, to me, is of a similar model to guys like Gaudette and Lockwood. Fiercely loyal, extremely motivated and hard working, with a great appreciation for the team that drafted/believed in him, and committed to starting his pro career with his draft team. I don’t see a free agency hold out as something he really considers as an career option, mostly just on principle.

Rathbone has basically said as much in several past interviews. And when you listen to guys like IMac, who have sources inside the Canucks, they’re basically telegraphing a message that Rathbone isn’t signing anywhere but Vancouver. I suspect it’s just a matter of that they don’t want to come out and say it until the ink is dry on an ELC, but that everyone knows that, when Jack is ready, he’s gonna be a Canuck.

EDIT: If I’m wrong and Rathbone does hold out and sign with the Bruins, I’ll probably start the day with eating my hat for breakfast, and then head downtown to start a riot.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Reminds me of Hamhuis.

Smooth skater in all directions and positonallt sound with a good stick.

Smooth skater like Dan for sure.  
But DH was great defensively.  
JR has a lot of d work to go, and is a lot more offensive than Hamhuis was.  
The kid has a real rocket of a shot. 

It doesn't make sense for Rathbone to sign if he won't start the year in Vancouver. He's currently at Harvard, and so I'm sure he'd rather finish his degree than be in the AHL for the next 1-2 seasons. I can see him go back to Harvard if there's no guarantee that he would start the year in Vancouver.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I love this kid. Go back in the thread, I've been saying it for years now this guy is a stud 2way Dman. Very reliable and can definitely jump up and take advantage offensively, but doesn't sacrifice the defensive part of the game. He knows how to defend. I only watched the first video because I've seen him play enough times but what gets highlighted is you can see that he knows how and when to be aggressive and close off a nothing play or contest a winger entering the zone. He doesn't do it if there are no backcheckers in the lanes to support him. He drives his player (not necessarily physically although he certainly likes to engage quite a bit) aggressively into the boards with conviction. Nip it in the bud so to speak.

I love this kid...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think when all’s said and done, Rathbone will sign with the Canucks, and it’ll be similar to Lockwood where we’ll eventually learn that Jack basically told Benning, when I’m ready, I’ll sign with Vancouver, and other teams don’t even enter the equation (like Lockwood did last year when he told JB not to worry about him holding out and that Vancouver was his only NHL choice).

Rathbone, to me, is of a similar model to guys like Gaudette and Lockwood. Fiercely loyal, extremely motivated and hard working, with a great appreciation for the team that drafted/believed in him, and committed to starting his pro career with his draft team. I don’t see a free agency hold out as something he really considers as an career option, mostly just on principle.

Rathbone has basically said as much in several past interviews. And when you listen to guys like IMac, who have sources inside the Canucks, they’re basically telegraphing a message that Rathbone isn’t signing anywhere but Vancouver. I suspect it’s just a matter of that they don’t want to come out and say it until the ink is dry on an ELC, but that everyone knows that, when Jack is ready, he’s gonna be a Canuck.

EDIT: If I’m wrong and Rathbone does hold out and sign with the Bruins, I’ll probably start the day with eating my hat for breakfast, and then head downtown to start a riot.

Like everyone else here I hope you're right. But I think there's a very small chance he comes here in large part due to the situation with his brother and Bruins being his favorite team and him being a Boston kid.  Makes too much sense for him to stay in school 1 more year if it gets him to stay home. Vancouver is as far away as possible for another NHL team from Boston.

If it was 2 more years to UFA I can see him come all the way here. But 1 more year of education at Harvard then sign with Boston vs 1 more year in Utica then to Vancouver...

Even IF he has to spend a year in Providence to develop on Bruins AHL team before making NHL that's only 45 minute drive away from his house. He can live at home with his little brother and play on Providence Bruins OR Boston Bruins..

Rathbone is obviously a smart guy, that's why he's in Harvard. He has repeatedly spoken about wanting to be close to his brother.. I see no reason for him to come here..

We'll see what happens I guess, hope I'm wrong about this but chances are low.

He's more like a Duncan Keith than a Dan Hamhuis to be honest. Also has that fight/edge that Keith has. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Keith in the NHL, but his playing style is more comparable to a Keith/Krug than a Hamhuis to me.

Also since this topic has been drummed up AGAIN regarding this kid, I personally have 0 doubts that he'll sign with the Canucks. He's on record saying he appreciates the Canucks being understanding of him choosing to stay close to his family/brother and he's a good kid, very loyal. I know that doesn't necessarily put you all at ease, but all I can say is I am not worried in the slightest. I would join @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME in the hat eating and riot business.

• Cheers 1