The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nail Yakupov has interest signing with Canucks

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

All of your whining about not signing this guy realize you can't sign free agents this year yet...right?   You also realize that any team can sign him and may create offers higher than Canucks wish to pay...right?

Just checking as somehow not signing this player "right now" seems to be implied as being some form of failure of your team's management.

First of all yes we do realize he can't be signed right now. That does not however excuse the fact (if what Dhaliwahl wrote was true) that Benning hasn't even talked to his agent or him. Sure we've got time until the 1st, but the early bird gets the worm. If Benning does sign him I take back everything I've said as I'm sure those of us who want Yakupov in a Canucks jersey, but the fact there's been no interaction leads me to believe JB isn't interested.

Why would he go play for other teams when his childhood dream has always been Vancouver? He's specified our hockey team out of all the others as the one he wants to play on. That means something.

As far as Jim Benning is concerned I've been by far one of his biggest fans (you can see that throughout my posting history). That being said this would be a big opportunity lost if he doesn't sign here and if JB doesn't get him I will be criticizing him, which would be deserved in this case.

If he really wants to play in Vancouver, he'll have to take a cheaper contact than he would elsewhere.

If Benning can get him for a million or less, then do it. <50k if we bury him in the minors is palatable.

The problem is that if it's an instant turnaround, then he'll be very expensive by the time we are competitive.

7 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Here is my potential lineup if we were to give Yak a shot:

(Line 1) Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

(Line 2) Daniel-Henrik-Eriksson

(Line 3A) Yakupov-Granlund-Goldobin

(Line 3B) Gaunce-Sutter-Dorsett/Virtanen

That looks pretty good to me. 

FWIW, I labelled them as 3A and 3B for those that would freak out seeing Sutter on the 4th line. It's more about the roles than the line numbers. Let's not get hung up on that. 

I'd be totally okay with this.

I think this lineup has a lot of potential and I also think fans would have something to look forward to at games.  We could potentially have 2 solid PP units for the first time in a long time.

I agree with the people that say there is very little risk bringing in Yakupov for cheap.  Worst case scernario he doesn't impress.  Then we just waive him and send him to Utica if he doesn't get picked up.  No biggie cause he would be signed for cheap for a year.

2 hours ago, Mattrek said:

First of all yes we do realize he can't be signed right now. That does not however excuse the fact (if what Dhaliwahl wrote was true) that Benning hasn't even talked to his agent or him. Sure we've got time until the 1st, but the early bird gets the worm. If Benning does sign him I take back everything I've said as I'm sure those of us who want Yakupov in a Canucks jersey, but the fact there's been no interaction leads me to believe JB isn't interested.

Why would he go play for other teams when his childhood dream has always been Vancouver? He's specified our hockey team out of all the others as the one he wants to play on. That means something.

As far as Jim Benning is concerned I've been by far one of his biggest fans (you can see that throughout my posting history). That being said this would be a big opportunity lost if he doesn't sign here and if JB doesn't get him I will be criticizing him, which would be deserved in this case.

So because Dhaliwal wrote something and you choose to believe it that makes JB a bad manager if he doesn't chase an asset who has not made it on two different teams?   I am all about giving players second chances etc. but perhaps there is something about any given player that makes them a non-fit?   Perhaps JB has indeed not talked to agent but some of JB's assistants have?   Perhaps JB wants to see what the market is for any given player and is already knowing the going price and feels it is too high?

Just seems funny to condemn your GM prior to an action (or non-action) and then declare if that action doesn't happen, in spite of theoretically (and hopefully) the team having more information about any given player, you were right and they were wrong.

I personally am intrigued by a former #1 overall pick. I'm just uncertain that it would be an ideal situation for yak. Wouldn't it be foolish to give a guy who is now considered a bust with an uncertain ceiling a chance to play with guys who we don't know their ceilings either. If it were set in stone that the sedins needed a guy with that type of talent as a line mate I could see yak thriving there. Or being on a line with a Crosby/Kane type could be beneficial for him but could a guy who has up until this point underperformed really revive his career playing on a team or a line with guys that haven't had success year in and year out? It's really a question because I don't know the answer but I just personally don't see the guy thriving playing on a line with sitter,goldobin, granlund or baer. 

Nail Yakupov is an ethnic Volga Tatar[26]and a Muslim.[27][28] He is the first Tatar ever to be selected first overall at the NHL Entry Draft.[29] With his draft selection, Yakupov surpassed Nazem Kadri as being the highest drafted Muslim player in NHL history. His father, Rail, worked with the HC Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk hockey team as a coach and executive. Yakupov first skated when he was four-years-old, but was more interested in soccer and the English Premier League club Chelseathan hockey.[30]

Not many Muslims in the NHL, pretty hard fit I'm sure. No worries of drugs and alcohol ever being a problem though.

11 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Not many Muslims in the NHL, pretty hard fit I'm sure. No worries of drugs and alcohol ever being a problem though.

Absolutely. Just like there is no chance of a christian getting pregnant out of wedlock.

1 hour ago, The Rattler said:

It says a lot about how far we have fallen from our "Stanley Cup Contending" days to now wanting to sign the second coming of Alexandre Daigle.  

Even though Daigle didn't live up to expectations as a 1st overall pick, he did have over 0.5 ppg over 600 NHL games, including 3 seasons over 50 points. To put that into perspective, he could've been top 4 in scoring for us in the last few seasons making him a decent 2nd liner. If we could pick up a good 2nd line player for free (money and contract space), why not? Not to say Yakupov will live up to that career, but it's worth a look.

1 hour ago, The Rattler said:

It says a lot about how far we have fallen from our "Stanley Cup Contending" days to now wanting to sign the second coming of Alexandre Daigle.  

Did himself said he didn't like playing hockey.... just he happened to be pretty good at it.  Hence his decent NHL numbers and his long career in the sport (mostly in Europe).  

Nail seems to love playing hockey and scoring goals.  

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He should go to the KHL

I'd go 2 years / 2 way 700k per. (with bonuses at the NHL level, games/assists)

Kid got a horrible start in Edmonton with 2 of the worst Coaches..  If he is game to prove himself, he would sign a 2 way offer.

according to sportsnet Vancouver has actually contacted Yakupov's representation.

In addition to Alzner, Benning has reportedly made calls on Toronto defenceman Matt Hunwick, team-less Nail Yakupov, and Philadelphia centre Jordan Weal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-free-agents-rumours-weal-canucks-signing-shattenkirk-brendan-smith-alzner-emelin-daley-montreal-tampa-dallas-coyotes/

There's no downside to a short-term, low-money deal.  Waivers or buried in the AHL if he doesn't pan out (or let him run to the KHL). If he does find his game, he's got more upside than a good portion of our roster. Also, he's young, so if he brings the heat, he'll still fit in the youth movement dynamic.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I'd go 2 years / 2 way 700k per. (with bonuses at the NHL level, games/assists)

Kid got a horrible start in Edmonton with 2 of the worst Coaches..  If he is game to prove himself, he would sign a 2 way offer.

why 2 way?

@stawns I think the 2 way contract thing is because he's widely regarded as a bust, not even NHL caliber...think Cody Hodgson ineptitude. Now, I think it's too early to make that call yet, but I can understand why some folk are insisting on the 2 way deal. 

I think that the only way he accepts such a deal if absolutely noone offers him anything. And someone will take a flyer on him, it's all but guaranteed. I think it'll have to be a 1 way with at least 1 mill +bonuses to sign him. And the Canucks should take the chance on him if he will take anything below 1.5 mill. even if it is one way.

6 minutes ago, howswedeitis76 said:

@stawns I think the 2 way contract thing is because he's widely regarded as a bust, not even NHL caliber...think Cody Hodgson ineptitude. Now, I think it's too early to make that call yet, but I can understand why some folk are insisting on the 2 way deal. 

I think that the only way he accepts such a deal if absolutely noone offers him anything. And someone will take a flyer on him, it's all but guaranteed. I think it'll have to be a 1 way with at least 1 mill +bonuses to sign him. And the Canucks should take the chance on him if he will take anything below 1.5 mill. even if it is one way.

Two way isn't an issue as he is waiver eleigble and won't get much more than 800k which can be removed from the team cap if he gets sent down. 

The only advantage is it may inspire greater effort on Yakupov's part to earn the paycheck. 

Archived